Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do you believe in classical, newton, mechanics?

1. Newtonian mechanics

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. Lagrangian mechanics

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Hamilton mechanics

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. Classical Field Theory (includes EM)

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  5. Classical Statistical Mechanics

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  6. Special Relativity

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. General Relativity

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Quantum Mechanics

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  9. Relativistic Quantum Mechanics

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Quantum Field Theory

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jun 23, 2004 #1

arivero

Gold Member

I wonder, is there out someone disbelieving quantum mechanics but accepting the concepts and statements of newtonian mechanics? I would like to hear such standpoints.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2004 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Physics and science in general is based on observation and theories developed from these observations. Unlike religion, belief has nothing to do with it. Newtonian mechanics works most of the time and is very useful. However, there are extreme cases where it doesn't work. That is why physicists (Einstein, et al) needed other theories (quantum, relativity) to account for these situations.

4. Jun 23, 2004 #3
    Don't forget that Newton had no idea how gravity worked. It was not until einstein with his spacetime "web" or "grid" did anyone really understand how gravity worked.

And now...
    M-theory says that there is a particle called a gravitron that is responsible for gravity.

5. Jun 24, 2004 #4

arivero

Gold Member

Newtonian mechanics postulates the existence of instantaneus velocity and momentum, for an example.

(ah, the graviton idea was previous to M-theory)

6. Jun 24, 2004 #5
    The word believe does not effectively describe my attitude towards any scientific hypothesis or theory, period.

7. Jun 24, 2004 #6
    I vote to toss that graviton thingy, warped spacetime is much more pleasing.
    Just thinking about all those particles flying between the planets ....

8. Jun 29, 2004 #7

arivero

Gold Member

What about "Do you accept the axioms of...?", or perhaps
    "After examination of the empirical evidence, I tend to agree/disagree with the postulates of...?"

9. Jun 29, 2004 #8
    Everyone has beliefs be they about science or anything else because no one knows anything with 100% certainty. The root of all creativity comes from beliefs and creativity has a lot to do with physics. Just lighten up people, you're not going to look illogical or like a zealot for using the word "believe."

Anyways I have my quarrels with all of them but I wouldn't really dismiss any of them as completely wrong.

10. Jun 30, 2004 #9
    I voted against Newton.
    I even have a page on it here:
    http://www.geocities.com/dedaNoe/aanm.htm
    I cannot accesss my page. I don't know why is that. Geocities simply requires me to preregister?!?!
    unfortunately, nobody gives a damn.

Every Newton's law is only partial interpretation of the law of lever.
    I just think Archimedes does physics better than Newton.
    In fact Archimedes is the 1st ever physicist.
    Despite that the lever is never mentioned in the educational process.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2004
  11. Jun 30, 2004 #10

arivero

Gold Member

Hmm, nobody has a vocabulary coinciding 100%, in all the semantic flavourings, with other person. But does that imply that vocabulary, that each word, is a belief?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?