What percentage of Americans believe in ghosts?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ghosts
In summary: I distinctly heard a woman's voice say my name. It wasn't a scary voice, just a friendly voice. After I heard it I felt really happy and relieved. Now I'm not so sure if it was just a dream or if it was a ghost.In summary, 34% of Americans believe in ghosts, and this correlates with the belief in other supernatural phenomena. This indicates that people's minds are more focused on potential danger when they believe in ghosts.
Moridin said:
According to your logic, that would be an entirely unjustified choice, correct? Why isn't the others valid then?

Yes. Science is simply the human activity of explaining facts with methodological naturalism (+ some more technical things that isn't necessary for the discussion).

This is off topic but I have noticed you several times making the grammatical error of using singular verb forms with plural subjects. It's remarkably jarring given the otherwise articulate posts.

What's causing this? Are you a non-native speaker? Do you throw this in deliberately for some effect? I can't account for it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Huckleberry said:
I suppose both are true. :blushing:
Have you ever tried being hypnotized?

some people(s) believe dreams are real---in a way, they're hallucinations

zoobyshoe said:
This is off topic but I have noticed you several times making the grammatical error of using singular verb forms with plural subjects. It's remarkably jarring given the otherwise articulate posts.

What's causing this? Are you a non-native speaker? Do you throw this in deliberately for some effect? I can't account for it.

Non-native speaker. It should of course be "aren't" (Shame on me, I have a CAE from Cambridge).

Moridin said:
Non-native speaker. It should of course be "aren't" (Shame on me, I have a CAE from Cambridge).
Ah, so that's it.

Incidentally, I don't know what a CAE is.

rewebster said:
some people(s) believe dreams are real---in a way, they're hallucinations
You sound high on something.

zoobyshoe said:
You sound high on something.

nooo--we don't have marijuana cafes in our state

zoobyshoe said:
Ah, so that's it.

Incidentally, I don't know what a CAE is.

http://www.cambridgeesol.org/exams/cae.htm

Needed it as a qualification for education.

Last edited by a moderator:
zoobyshoe said:
Have you ever tried being hypnotized?
Only once. Didn't work. I didn't really want it to. Still don't.

Huckleberry said:
Only once. Didn't work. I didn't really want it to. Still don't.
I think nearly anyone can resist a direct frontal attempt at hypnosis. I didn't come remotely close to being hypnotized the one time I went to a professional. On the other hand, I think I'm extremely suseptible when I don't realize it's what someone is up to.