What percentage of Americans believe in ghosts?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ghosts
In summary: I distinctly heard a woman's voice say my name. It wasn't a scary voice, just a friendly voice. After I heard it I felt really happy and relieved. Now I'm not so sure if it was just a dream or if it was a ghost.In summary, 34% of Americans believe in ghosts, and this correlates with the belief in other supernatural phenomena. This indicates that people's minds are more focused on potential danger when they believe in ghosts.
Evo said:
Artman It simply cannot be explained, until someone experiences it first hand they can't imagine what it is. I didn't believe there was something unexplainable until it happened to me and several others where there to witness it at the same time.

Some people will never experience it, so to them it doesn't exist, what ever "it" might be. I can't blame those that haven't experienced it to disbelieve it. We will just consider ourselves "special". :approve:

I do not believe in the supernatural, but I have had auditory / sensory hallucinations on several occasions.

Physics news on Phys.org
EL said:
Ok, let's focus on this one:

How much of this did you honestly see?
All of it.
Where you looking at the cat when it started to "hurtle"?
Yes, I was reading in bed and the cat was lying next to me, I heard a startled yelp, looked up and the cat appeared as if it had just been scooped up and tossed from where it was lying.
How did the cat react?
Very startled. After it hit the fan, it bolted away.
What did you do just before this happened? Were you tired?
I was reading, my daughter was on the floor near the fan also reading, I believe. Not tired. It shook us both up quite a bit.

I have a hypothesis: Martians spooked him! Unless he had a nightmare or some brain hiccup. Cats don't fly so he must have jumped and from a curled posture the jump was more horizontal than vertical. Had the cat been on a waxed floor instead of a plush surface you might have only seen leg spasms. If you were looking at a book instead of the cat then you could not spot any leg action.

My general position is that before we claim that something is out of this world, we should first make sure that it is not in it.

Artman said:
I'm open minded to a good explanation, but it doesn't explain the dog whining.

Why not?

Andre said:
So at the end of that second night with deprivation of sleep for some 48 hours, suddenly enemy trucks were driving around in circles around our group. But it remained dead silent. Ghost trucks. Just halucinations and plenty of them. Very vividly. I would have done weird things if I had not realized that I was just halucinating. Human brains can be very open for that after which you would swear that it was real.
That's a fascinating story, Andre. I've heard a few other sleep deprivation/hallucination stories and the hallucinations all seem to be especially vivid. Human brains can, indeed, construct things from within that you would swear are real. A lot of these stories come from people doing long distance sailing in yachts where they're forced to stay at the rudder for many hour at a time. Your "ghost trucks" remind me of the many tales of "ghost ships".

Evo said:
Yes, I was reading in bed and the cat was lying next to me, I heard a startled yelp, looked up and the cat appeared as if it had just been scooped up and tossed from where it was lying.
So you didn't see all of it, right? You didn't see when it was scooped up? If I get you right you're only saying that at the time you first looked at the cat, it looked like it had just been scooped and tossed from where it was lying.
I was reading, my daughter was on the floor near the fan also reading, I believe.
So your daughter didn't really see what happened to the cat? (Before it hit the fan that is.)

At the moment I propose the following:
* The cat jumped into the fan itself. Your brain happened to misinterpret the situation, either because of some optical illusion due to things like observation angle and/or light conditions in the room, or because you were simply (partly) hallucinating.

As long as your daughter didn't see exactly the same thing (but how could she if she was on the floor?) I cannot think of any simpler solution.

EL said:
So you didn't see all of it, right? You didn't see when it was scooped up? If I get you right you're only saying that at the time you first looked at the cat, it looked like it had just been scooped and tossed from where it was lying.
So your daughter didn't really see what happened to the cat? (Before it hit the fan that is.)
Wrong on all counts. As soon as the cat yealped, we both looked up as it left the bed. We watched it sail sideways into the fan. We got to watch it from two different angles, me from the bed as it sailed away from me into the fan, and her as it came towards her and hit the fan next to her.

Sorry, try again. :smile:

out of whack said:
I have also observed my mind doing its own thing when sleep deprived or even a few times without obvious cause: hallucinations of course, also completely forgetting certain events, and conversely I would not be surprised to learn that some of my memories are false. The mind naturally interpolates unknown events between known ones, filling in the blanks with the most credible path. But this can easily be wrong and result in perceived miracles. And then, there's always the Martians...
You're refreshingly mellow and easy going about the insights you have into the sometimes unreliable nature of your mind.

Evo said:
Wrong on all counts. As soon as the cat yealped, we both looked up as it left the bed. We watched it sail sideways into the fan. We got to watch it from two different angles, me from the bed as it sailed away from me into the fan, and her as it came towards her and hit the fan next to her.

Sorry, try again. :smile:

Ok, how fast did the cat appear to move through the air?
Right afterwards, did you and your daughter completely agree on what had happened? Are you sure you didn't in some way persuade her what had happened?
Do you still agree?

Let me suggest that we don't try to pursue this investigation. For those of us who do not believe the flying cat story: there is nothing that Evo can say that will make us believe it is true.

Similarly, there is nothing we can say or propose that will make Evo think that events didn't transpire exactly how she has stated it.

It's lose, lose.

I will point out that eyewitness accounts of events are actually the least accurate and reliable sources of data and information.

EL said:
Ok, how fast did the cat appear to move through the air?
I'd say about average speed for a flying cat. :wink: She was still curled up in a ball.
Right afterwards, did you and your daughter completely agree on what had happened?
Yes, we couldn't believe it. After we both basically said WTF? She asked me if I threw the cat, because when she looked up, she saw the cat in the air heading for the fan.
Are you sure you didn't in some way persuade her what had happened?
Positive. We were both very confused, but odd incidents had become so normal that we just chalked it up to another of those "weird" things that were happening.
Do you still agree?
Yes, once in awhile the subject of those 2 years will come up. Just lots of odd things. Our house got a reputation for being spooky. Like I said previously, I don't believe in an after life, so I don't believe in ghosts.

Chi Meson said:
Let me suggest that we don't try to pursue this investigation. For those of us who do not believe the flying cat story: there is nothing that Evo can say that will make us believe it is true.

Similarly, there is nothing we can say or propose that will make Evo think that events didn't transpire exactly how she has stated it.

It's lose, lose.

I will point out that eyewitness accounts of events are actually the least accurate and reliable sources of data and information.
There are a lot of plausible answers. She could have had a bizarre muscle spasm. Had a nightmare that caused her to jolt through the air. How many cats do you know of that jump into a box fan that's running? I'm not asking to be believed, just stating what happened. Cat is sleeping, cat hits box fan several feet away sideways and knocks it over. If you want to believe that's normal, no problem. :wink:

Actually zooby and I have had quite a few discussions on the possibility of infrasound or other similar (electrical perhaps) reasons for a lot of the oddities. I've stopped shopping at the nearest grocery store because the noise in the frozen foods section is so loud and causes my head to feel like it's going to burst and no one else hears or feels anything. It started when they put the new freezers in. I think I'm susceptible to certain frequencies.

Last edited:
Evo---do you think that hawk was a ghost?

rewebster said:
Evo---do you think that hawk was a ghost?
No, he was obviously sent from another universe. :smile:

Evo said:
No, he was obviously sent from another universe. :smile:

well, if you combine the two stories it would be a kitty hawk, wright?

Last edited:
We have had two cats. Our dear Sappho (lost to the coyotes ten years ago :cry: ) was known for some incredible leaps. Never curled up though. Our current cat, Annie (his full name is Annis McMannus) has developed remarkable flying powers himself. The response/reaction time for cats is faster than ours. Unless we are staring at the cats while the odd thing happens, we can only see the event from the periphery. Peripheral vision is notoriously modified by our brains.

All I'm really saying is that there is plenty of room for skepticism for all eyewitness details.

Back to the OP in general: can ghosts interact with solid objects, or can't they? For ghosts stories to be true, then they have to switch on and off there ability to interact with "our stuff." They float through walls, but then they throw cats through the air (to use the nearest example).

They can't be photographed, until they want to. In order for the ghost images to show up on photographic film, when they weren't visible tho the eye, the ghosts (I'm thinking of the civil war ghosts here) all agree to take a trip into the camera's film and manipulate the emulsion (ghosts have a good education in chemistry) to cause the effect of exposure to particular wavelengths of photons. Clever ghosts!

They can't be seen, but then they can, occasionally. So they are made up of stuff that can't be detected, which is to say, material that doesn't absorb and or reemit radiation. Then the same material, that has no detectable properties, can switch on according to their will to emit visible spectrum radiation. OK, so it must be an energy source we have no knowledge of. Or maybe they get inside our heads and manipulate our visual perception according to their whims. If two people see it at the same time, then they manage to manipulate two brains simultaneously. Clever ghosts.

OR maybe they only exist in our brains.

Evo said:
There are a lot of plausible answers. She could have had a bizarre muscle spasm. Had a nightmare that caused her to jolt through the air. How many cats do you know of that jump into a box fan that's running? I'm not asking to be believed, just stating what happened. Cat is sleeping, cat hits box fan several feet away sideways and knocks it over. If you want to believe that's normal, no problem. :wink:

Actually zooby and I have had quite a few discussions on the possibility of infrasound or other similar (electrical perhaps) reasons for a lot of the oddities. I've stopped shopping at the nearest grocery store because the noise in the frozen foods section is so loud and causes my head to feel like it's going to burst and no one else hears or feels anything. It started when they put the new freezers in. I think I'm susceptible to certain frequencies.

OR, you could have had a muscle spasm and kicked the cat into the fan

______________________________-

let's see, I've seen a housefly, I've seen a horsefly, I've even seen a deerfly--but I've never seen a catfly

Last edited:
rewebster said:
OR, you could have had a muscle spasm and kicked the cat into the fan
:rofl: Now, that's possible. I could have twitched my legs, which spooked the sleeping cat, especially if it was dreaming. I'll never forget the look on that cat's face after she hit the fan. She still wasn't fully awake.

My hunter counterpart at work, the one that stopped and shot a turkey on the way to work, he just happened to have a loaded rifle in his truck and saw it in a field near his house. Hey, I just eat the stuff after he cooks it, I don't ask questions. :uhh:

Anyway he tried to help me identify the hawk and brought some bird books in, but it seems all books have the same pictures. :frown:

Last edited:
Evo said:
"I've stopped shopping at the nearest grocery store because the noise in the frozen foods section is so loud and causes my head to feel like it's going to burst and no one else hears or feels anything. It started when they put the new freezers in. I think I'm susceptible to certain frequencies."

just turn your hearing aids down--that should help

____________________________________-

Evo said:
:rofl: Now, that's possible. I could have twitched my legs, which spooked the sleeping cat, especially if it was dreaming. I'll never forget the look on that cat's face after she hit the fan. She still wasn't fully awake.

NOW, you're thinking like a MAN (logically, that is!)

:uhh:

Last edited:
Evo said:
I'd say about average speed for a flying cat. :wink: She was still curled up in a ball.
What I mean is if the cat was moving at the same speed as it would have been if it had jumped by itself, or if you saw it slowly float through the air? From your answer I conclude that if you hadn't seen it being "scooped up", but just had seen its following trajectory, you hadn't been able to determine wheter it actually had jumped by itself or not. Right?

Yes, we couldn't believe it. After we both basically said WTF? She asked me if I threw the cat, because when she looked up, she saw the cat in the air heading for the fan.
Hey, wait a minute. I got the impression you were saying that both of you saw the cat being scooped up? Now you are saying your daughter saw the cat first when it was airborn. This would mean that you, and only you, saw the "scooping" of the cat, right?

Positive.
But since she didn't see the "scooping", how can you say you didn't persuade her into what had happened?

Evo said:
How many cats do you know of that jump into a box fan that's running?
Well, at least one. :wink:
Seriously, cats do the most strange things, just watch some "funny cat"-movies on youtube or similar sites.

EL said:
Hey, wait a minute. I got the impression you were saying that both of you saw the cat being scooped up? Now you are saying your daughter saw the cat first when it was airborn. This would mean that you, and only you, saw the "scooping" of the cat, right?
No what I was saying was that the cat was still balled up, as if it had been "scooped up" and tossed. It was the manner in which the cat was appoaching the fan that was odd, sideways and balled up. I have never seen a cat jump without extending it's legs, and never sideways, her back hit the fan. That is what my daughter and I couldn't explain. If the cat had just jumped from the bed into the fan, we would have thought "crazy cat" and not thought any more about it.

If I had actually seen the cat "scooped up", it wouldn't be a mystery. :smile: Ok, well, actually I guess it would, but of a different kind. :bugeye:

Evo said:
No what I was saying was that the cat was still balled up, as if it had been "scooped up" and tossed. It was the manner in which the cat was appoaching the fan that was odd, sideways and balled up. I have never seen a cat jump without extending it's legs, and never sideways, her back hit the fan. That is what my daughter and I couldn't explain. If the cat had just jumped from the bed into the fan, we would have thought "crazy cat" and not thought any more about it.

If I had actually seen the cat "scooped up", it wouldn't be a mystery. :smile: Ok, well, actually I guess it would, but of a different kind. :bugeye:

Ok, the first way i pictured it was that you had actually seen the cat being lifted up by some "invisible force", then "slowly float" sideways through the air while being curled up, and finally hit the fan.

Now I interpret your story like this: Neither you or your daughter looked at the cat the very moment it got airborn. You both saw it when it was flying (with "ordinary" speed) towards the fan, and you both noticed it was in a strange position (curled up into a ball and flying sideways) during the entire flight. Then you both saw it hit the fan.
Is this correct?

EL said:
Ok, the first way i pictured it was that you had actually seen the cat being lifted up by some "invisible force", then "slowly float" sideways through the air while being curled up, and finally hit the fan.
Good heavens no.

Now I interpret your story like this: Neither you or your daughter looked at the cat the very moment it got airborn. You both saw it when it was flying (with "ordinary" speed) towards the fan, and you both noticed it was in a strange position (curled up into a ball and flying sideways) during the entire flight. Then you both saw it hit the fan.
Is this correct?
Yes, that's it.

maybe it was really powerful fan?

or, instead of ball lightning, it was ball catling? (flying fur ball)

Evo said:
Yes, that's it.

Then what is so strange?

The cat slept, dreamt, jumped in its sleep, was still sleeping in the air, hit the fan, woke up, got surprised (I guess you would too if you jumped into a fan in your sleep:wink:).

EL said:
Then what is so strange?

The cat slept, dreamt, jumped in its sleep, was still sleeping in the air, hit the fan, woke up, got surprised (I guess you would too if you jumped into a fan in your sleep:wink:).
:frown: You're ruining my cat story.

Evo said:

OK---how's this:

On that dark and dready night, the cat was possessed by the spirit of 'Jack the Ripper'

It AWOKE-----not knowing what circumstances it was in---ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE

AND THE...

KIT HIT THE FAN

Evo said:

Sorry, I thought you were serious.

What about this one: The cat slept, dreamt, jumped in its sleep, was still sleeping in the air, hit the fan, woke up, got surprised. At the same time there was an invisible brain eating zombie in your closet.

EL said:
Then what is so strange?

But the cat would have to extend its legs to jump, even it jumped in its sleep.:confused:

rewebster said:
AND THE...

KIT HIT THE FAN

:rofl:

rewebster said:
KIT HIT THE FAN
OY. :biggrin:

EL said:
What about this one: The cat slept, dreamt, jumped in its sleep, was still sleeping in the air, hit the fan, woke up, got surprised. At the same time there was an invisible brain eating zombie in your closet.
Now that would work. And since we know cats have incredible abilities to detect brain eating zombies, although the zombie had paralyzed the cat through mind control (from eating all of those brains), the cat, summoning all of it's strength, in one last burst of energy managed to propel itself into the fan, alerting my daughter and myself and ruining the zombie's hopes of a late night snack.

IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW! :approve:

Math Is Hard said:
But the cat would have to extend its legs to jump, even it jumped in its sleep.:confused:
It curled up immediately after it had jumped.

Evo said:
Now that would work. And since we know cats have incredible abilities to detect brain eating zombies, although the zombie had paralyzed the cat through mind control (from eating all of those brains), the cat, summoning all of it's strength, in one last burst of energy managed to propel itself into the fan, alerting my daughter and myself and ruining the zombie's hopes of a late night snack.

IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW! :approve:

a MWI!

(somebody may enjoy that)