Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do you believe in love?

1. Aug 9, 2004 #1
    Do you believe in love?

sometimes i wonder...

is it just a chemical reaction in the brain?

hormones creating certain feelings by sending singnals to certain points of your brain?

i am not quite sure how this works.

It would be helpful if someone could try to explain.. :redface:

but is there a spiritual level. a joining of two souls... soulmates?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2004 #2
    For all things in the universe I separate into the subjective and the objective worlds.
    Since our unabridged perception of the world is so drastically different from how it actually works, we can' trust our brain and senses to tell the truth. But that's quite ok, imagine how boring the world would be if we were just robots taking in the science of things.

Love is a subjective emotion, take for example anger, you have experienced anger and agree that it exists on the subjective level right?
    Same with love, in science it's not "love", it's a complex machinery of domino pieces, but all those pieces together are experienced as we experience love, subjectively.

So yeah, I believe in love, I know that it's nothing more than the sum of its physical parts and reactions, but it still exists to us.

4. Aug 9, 2004 #3
    Absolute - ly! Unfortunately, it is much easier to see the effects of hate. Love is the opposite side of that emotional coin.

i suspect that love is the glue that binds us together within the universe. love - hate motivates our actions. wouldn't it be great if we knew how to stimulate the love more readily than hate.

love&peace,
    olde drunk

5. Aug 9, 2004 #4
    olde drunk, your view on the universe is quite intriguing.

you seem to be pretty spiritual, but the big question is, do you feel the spiritual world also has effects on physical world? that these two are intrisically bound together?

6. Aug 9, 2004 #5
    I think for love and hate to exist they must have fundamentals in the universe. Even if they are perceptions of conscious behaviour, communication. They're both actions that cause extremely different reactions to one another, not to mention feelings. I think it is a form of communication, a social behaviour, though all sciences lead to another...and that there is no reason for such feelings to occur and to exist without cause.

Love is unique that in it a conscious entity feels the desire for companionship (in their own life-time), an immortality (of children decents), of fair and open communication, etc

7. Aug 9, 2004 #6
    In response to olde drunk's post: I believe we would stimulate love more if we all encourage eachother to be conscious, concerned about the future and encourage ourselves to love and care the persons around us. Yes, even our enemies. :)

8. Aug 9, 2004 #7

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

i don't believe there is...at one point in my life i did, but now i realize that real love does require an effort to a point...the magical feeling of being in love are definitely chemicals in the brain IMO. love that has and effort behind it-compromising, support, sacrifice, etc-tends to have a stronger bond over time. the whole soulmates theory is more wishful thinking because it seems so ideal. after spending time with a certain person and experiencing growth and understanding with them, then you realize how love grows.

9. Aug 9, 2004 #8
    Love: an evolutionary selected trait that facilitates reproductive success. Love, or more scientifically called, "emotional attachment," is found in animals as well, such as a mother animal having an emotional attachment to her offspring.

Emotional attachment, just like all other human behaviors, are programmed into the brain, the blueprint being in the genes, and the physical manifestation being in the interaction between patterns of synapses and chemicals. Human brains are in fact computers, just more advanced ones, but not for long as computer technology keeps on improving.

10. Aug 9, 2004 #9
    words from an old deep purple song......love don't mean a thing if she aint got nooooo gosh money. :rofl:

I think love means different things at different times in our lives..I have been in love a couple times.. it was hot & intense in every case. we both swore it would last forever. I was young'er. now love is when my granddaughter comes running down the hall way, jumps into my arm's ,gives me a bear hug and says, I missed ya granddaddy and I love you......I know she does :smile:

11. Aug 9, 2004 #10

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

wow, with a mindset like that, i wish you luck in never being alone.

12. Aug 9, 2004 #11

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

children have a wonderful way of showing you things no matter what your age :smile:

13. Aug 9, 2004 #12
    There are words you can use to express the meaning instead of just defining it.

14. Aug 9, 2004 #13
    What might those words be?

15. Aug 9, 2004 #14
    If love, no matter what it is, is found in humans, why should we be surprised that it is also found in animals?

So is science, one could argue. But if that were true, then the whole truth about the universe, like love, can be found in our genes. I find that notion a bit preposterous.

16. Aug 9, 2004 #15
    I gave a scientific explanation of Emotional Attachment. But if you prefer a blue collar response, here you go:

Love is a warm fuzzy feeling inside that makes me high as a kite and connects the Souls of all humans and thus gives us spiritual purpose and meaning blah blah blah.

17. Aug 9, 2004 #16
    Yes, the ability for a human brain to think scientifically is the result of the actual biology of brain.

Truth of the universe found in our genes? I am discussing human emotions, such as emotional attachment. The biological makeup of our brains enable us to think, to feel hunger, thirst, sexual drive, etc. Basic emotions like thirst, hunger, sexual drive, and fear are programmed in the medulla of the brain, as well as in other animals and the medulla is what we humans have in common with lower animals. The especially unique thing about humans is that we have a much bigger cerebral cortex allowing for behavior associated with a much higher IQ.

If our emotion are not the result of programms in our brains, then the only other answer is that some outside force is controlling are brains, such as supernatural force, and I am not inclined to entertain such ideas in the context of science. I am not saying that supernatural things don't exist, but rather that they should have no place in science.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2004
  18. Aug 9, 2004 #17

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Regardess of what love is, we all seem to be in agreement that it is. When we use the word, we are referring to something that does exist. Does that answer the author's question?

19. Aug 9, 2004 #18
    I did say the notion is preposterous, but it's what your line of reasoning eventually leads to.

Look at it this way: most people think they love their mother because of something about the mother herself - what she is, what she does, what she feels for them, and so on. But you are saying what causes people to love their mothers is not the mother herself, but some "program" in the brain. That is, the truth about love between mother and child is to be find in their brains, and eventually their genes, rather than anything resembling personal relationships. That is your argument.

All I'm saying is, if that is the case, then the same must be true about the relationship between ourselves and the cosmos. That is, everything we believe about the cosmos is what our genes want us to believe.

Well, if love is supernatural, then your scientific explanation of it is bonk, isn't it? It may be scientifically correct but it would not be true, and in that case why should anyone bother?

20. Aug 9, 2004 #19
    Exactly. Have you ever seen the inside of the brain? It's billions of neurons with trillions of synapses, all emerged in a liquid that carries hormones and other chemicals that interact with the synapses. Going through the axons and dentrites are ionic charges made of sodium and potassium. So basically, the brain is an organic computer. So tell me, how can Emotional Attachment lie outside of this biological substrate?

21. Aug 9, 2004 #20

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

the blue collar response must be from your own experience then? it certainly doesn't make me feel that way, but love is necessary to an extent for our species to continue on. also, some of us see love as rewarding, but as i said before, it takes work, just like most rewards...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?