Do you believe that continuum is Aleph-2, not Aleph-1?

• I
  • Thread starter tzimie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuum
In summary, many set theorists believe that the continuum does not have cardinality ##\omega_1## and that there are multiple set theories with different cardinalities. There is also a theory called topos theory that allows for easy transfer between these set theories. Some set theorists, such as Hugh Woodin and Paul Cohen, have proposed that the continuum may have cardinality ##\aleph_c## or even ##\aleph_k## for any ordinal k whose cofinality is not equal to ##\aleph_0##. However, this remains a topic of debate and there is currently no consensus on the cardinality of the continuum.
Demystifier said:
Can you give an argument or a reference for that statement?

See any logic book, eg Hinman. It will work inside set theory already.

Physics news on Phys.org
stevendaryl said:
The semantics of first-order logic perhaps requires set theory, but first-order logic itself is just syntax plus rules of inference. It certainly doesn't require set theory. It would be circular if it did, because set theory is axiomatized using first-order logic.

What is your definition of first order logic?

micromass said:
What is your definition of first order logic?

First-order logic is a language together with axioms and rules of inference for sentences in that language.

The language has:
  • propositional operators: and, or, not, implies
  • quantification operators: forall and exists
  • function symbols
  • relation symbols
  • variables
  • constants
The axioms (axiom schemas, actually) are things such as

Phi(t) implies exists x Phi(x)

The rules of inference typically are just modus-ponens and universal introduction.

How many variables do you typically have?

micromass said:
See any logic book, eg Hinman. It will work inside set theory already.
In that book, a formal discussion of set theory does not appear before Chapter 6. Of course, the concept of a set is used already in Chapter 1, but it is used only in the informal sense, not in the sense of set theory.

Demystifier said:
In that book, a formal discussion of set theory does not appear before Chapter 6. Of course, the concept of a set is used already in Chapter 1, but it is used only in the informal sense, not in the sense of set theory.
And uuh, what exactly IS a set in the informal sense? Note that he uses the axiom choice in the first two chapters too!

micromass said:
And uuh, what exactly IS a set in the informal sense?
A collection. :biggrin:

micromass said:
Note that he uses the axiom choice in the first two chapters too!
Uhh, perhaps it tells more about the book than about logic. I believe that most logic textbooks do not commit that crime.

Demystifier said:
A collection. :biggrin:

I have no problem with that. The problem is that from the outset, they start working with countable or otherwise infinite sets. It is my point of view that you can't do this without a formal set theory in place.

Uhh, perhaps it tells more about the book than about logic. I believe that most logic textbooks do not commit that crime.

Then your logic books do not treat the compactness theorem, completeness theorem and Löwenheim-Skolem theorems, all of which can be proven to need the axiom of choice!

micromass said:
Then your logic books do not treat the compactness theorem, completeness theorem and Löwenheim-Skolem theorems, all of which can be proven to need the axiom of choice!
OK, you convinced me, it's very hard to talk about logic without having some notions of sets. But the opposite, to talk about sets without having some notions of logic, is even harder. So where should we start? Should we completely abandon the idea that mathematics has a well defined foundation? (Or perhaps my avatar was right that we should found mathematics on type theory, no matter how much things become complicated then?)

Demystifier said:
OK, you convinced me, it's very hard to talk about logic without having some notions of sets. But the opposite, to talk about sets without having some notions of logic, is even harder. So where should we start? Should we completely abandon the idea that mathematics has a well defined foundation? (Or perhaps my avatar was right that we should found mathematics on type theory, no matter how much things become complicated then?)

See also this: http://mathoverflow.net/questions/22635/can-we-prove-set-theory-is-consistent

It's a chicken vs the egg problem. What comes first? Logic or set theory. In either case, we are forced to accept some non-formalized stuff. Either we accept some "god-given" logic, or we accept a "god-given naive set theory", or both. I don't see a way out of this. It is my personal believe that we can give an accurate but nonformal description (or intuition) of what logic is, what a proof is and what a set is. With these we can create formal logic and formal set theory. We can then prove a lot of cool theorems about logic and set theory. But these will not be theorems about our naive nonformal system. Rather, it will be theorems about the logic and set theory we mimicked inside our nonformal system.

Likes Demystifier
micromass said:
See also this: http://mathoverflow.net/questions/22635/can-we-prove-set-theory-is-consistent

It's a chicken vs the egg problem. What comes first? Logic or set theory. In either case, we are forced to accept some non-formalized stuff. Either we accept some "god-given" logic, or we accept a "god-given naive set theory", or both. I don't see a way out of this. It is my personal believe that we can give an accurate but nonformal description (or intuition) of what logic is, what a proof is and what a set is. With these we can create formal logic and formal set theory. We can then prove a lot of cool theorems about logic and set theory. But these will not be theorems about our naive nonformal system. Rather, it will be theorems about the logic and set theory we mimicked inside our nonformal system.
That definitely makes sense! :woot:

But consider this. Let non-formal logic and non-formal set theory be called Log1 and Set1. Likewise, let Log2 and Set2 be their formal incarnations. And suppose that Log1 and Set1 are given. As the next step, what should we develop first, Log2 or Set2? So far I thought that Log2 should be formulated before Set2, but now it seems that it doesn't matter.

Demystifier said:
That definitely makes sense! :woot:

But consider this. Let non-formal logic and non-formal set theory be called Log1 and Set1. Likewise, let Log2 and Set2 be their formal incarnations. And suppose that Log1 and Set1 are given. As the next step, what should we develop first, Log2 or Set2? So far I thought that Log2 should be formulated before Set2, but now it seems that it doesn't matter.

Indeed, it doesn't matter so much. However, in my point of view, I reject any use of infinite sets in Set1 including the axiom of choice which is a statement about infinite sets. I am prepared to accept potential infinity. If we do this, then we cannot develop the completeness theorem or Löwenheim-Skolem theorem in Log2 unless you already developed Set2. So if I want to formalize Hinman's book in my pet system it goes as follows: non-formal logic and set theory first Log1 and Set1 then I create a formalized set theory (trying to avoid actual infinity) Set2 that satisfies ZFC or the finitely-axiomatizable NBG. Here is where Hinman begins where he develops Log2 then in a later chapter he develops axiomized set theory which is Set3

Of course, if you have no problems with infinite sets in your nonformal logic and stuff like the axiom of choice (I can imagine that you're a Platonist that accepts these universes as really existing), then you can work entirely inside Set2 and Log2 and there is no reason for a Set3

But whatever we do we always can go on: we can build inside Setn a logical system Logn+1 and a set theory Setn+1

Likes Demystifier
micromass said:
I reject any use of infinite sets in Set1 including the axiom of choice
This is something I always thought but was afraid to say. Thanks for spelling it explicitly! :woot:

micromass said:
What comes first? Logic or set theory.

In addition to that question, we can ask when the notion of "order" is to be introduced.

Before we can observe that an author did one thing before another, we must have the notion of things being done in some order.

Stephen Tashi said:
Before ...
And before defining the word "before" we must first define some words before that. o0)

micromass said:
How many variables do you typically have?

If you're saying that you need to already have an informal notion of a collection in order to make sense of logic, that's probably true. But you certainly don't need any set theory. Set theory is a theory of sets. I wouldn't say that any time someone mentions a collection, they are using set theory.

micromass said:
Indeed, it doesn't matter so much. However, in my point of view, I reject any use of infinite sets in Set1 including the axiom of choice which is a statement about infinite sets. I am prepared to accept potential infinity. If we do this, then we cannot develop the completeness theorem or Löwenheim-Skolem theorem in Log2 unless you already developed Set2.

The Lowenheim-Skolem theorem is a theorem ABOUT first-order logic. That doesn't mean that you need it to do first-order logic. Set theory is required to prove facts about the natural numbers, but children learn to use natural numbers before they learn set theory.

You do not need set theory in order to use first-order logic, even if set theory is used to study first-order logic.

Likes Demystifier
stevendaryl said:
If you're saying that you need to already have an informal notion of a collection in order to make sense of logic, that's probably true. But you certainly don't need any set theory. Set theory is a theory of sets. I wouldn't say that any time someone mentions a collection, they are using set theory.

In usual definitions of first order logic they set a countable collection of variables. Furthermore, there is an infinite collection of ZFC axioms. Countable and infinite do not make sense outside of an axiomatic set theory.

stevendaryl said:
but children learn to use natural numbers before they learn set theory.

That is irrelevant. If you take the natural numbers as a priori knowledge that is god given, then so be it. But you need to be specific about it. In the same way, you need a set theory in order to define first order logic.

stevendaryl said:
The Lowenheim-Skolem theorem is a theorem ABOUT first-order logic.

And uh, in what system are you proving things about first order logic?

micromass said:
That is irrelevant.

No, it's not. It's clearly true that you don't need set theory in order to do arithmetic. You don't need set theory in order to do first-order logic. If it is possible to do X without knowing anything about Y, then I would say that X does not need Y.

In the same way, you need a set theory in order to define first order logic.

I would say "In the same way, you DON'T need set theory in order to define first order logic".

I certainly learned first-order logic before I learned set theory, and it was invented before set theory was invented, so what exactly do you mean by saying that you "need" set theory? I can teach someone how to do proofs in first-order logic without ever mentioning sets, so how, exactly, do I "need" set theory? I really don't understand what you're talking about.

micromass said:
And uh, in what system are you proving things about first order logic?

That doesn't matter, but I assume it is in an informal system of first-order logic plus set theory. There is a distinction between doing first-order logic and proving things about first-order logic. Set theory typically is needed for the second, but not for the first.

micromass said:
In usual definitions of first order logic they set a countable collection of variables. Furthermore, there is an infinite collection of ZFC axioms. Countable and infinite do not make sense outside of an axiomatic set theory.

Once again, you're confusing (1) proving things about first order logic with (2) using first order logic. You need set theory (or something similar) to do (1), but not (2). You can prove, using set theory, that there are an infinite number of axioms of ZFC. But that doesn't mean that you need set theory in order to say what the axioms of ZFC are. ZFC is specified using axiom schemas. That means that you give a pattern for an axiom, and any first-order logic sentence that matches that pattern is an axiom. You can certainly prove using set theory that there are infinitely many axioms matching the schema, but such a proof is not needed to do set theory.

stevendaryl said:
No, it's not. It's clearly true that you don't need set theory in order to do arithmetic. You don't need set theory in order to do first-order logic. If it is possible to do X without knowing anything about Y, then I would say that X does not need Y.
I would say "In the same way, you DON'T need set theory in order to define first order logic".

I certainly learned first-order logic before I learned set theory, and it was invented before set theory was invented, so what exactly do you mean by saying that you "need" set theory? I can teach someone how to do proofs in first-order logic without ever mentioning sets, so how, exactly, do I "need" set theory? I really don't understand what you're talking about.

Why does it matter what you can teach? This is s a discussion on how to formalize mathematics, not on how to teach it. I can very easily teach calculus without limits, does that mean that it's not necessary.

stevendaryl said:
Once again, you're confusing (1) proving things about first order logic with (2) using first order logic. You need set theory (or something similar) to do (1), but not (2). You can prove, using set theory, that there are an infinite number of axioms of ZFC. But that doesn't mean that you need set theory in order to say what the axioms of ZFC are. ZFC is specified using axiom schemas. That means that you give a pattern for an axiom, and any first-order logic sentence that matches that pattern is an axiom. You can certainly prove using set theory that there are infinitely many axioms matching the schema, but such a proof is not needed to do set theory.

I see you conveniently ignored the necessity of countably many variables.

And now you talk about axiom schema's. I thought you said first-order theories required axioms? What's an axiom schema then?

stevendaryl said:
That doesn't matter, but I assume it is in an informal system of first-order logic plus set theory. There is a distinction between doing first-order logic and proving things about first-order logic. Set theory typically is needed for the second, but not for the first.

Well, it shouldn't be difficult for you to give a reference where first-order logic is done without mentioning infinity, countability or sets then?

stevendaryl said:

An informal system? You are aware that there are theorems and proofs out there which say that "compactness theorem" is equivalent to "ultrafilter lemma" in ZF. Where are we proving this result? In your informal system?

micromass said:
An informal system? You are aware that there are theorems and proofs out there which say that "compactness theorem" is equivalent to "ultrafilter lemma" in ZF. Where are we proving this result? In your informal system?

I would say yes, most mathematics is done using an informal system of set theory and first-order logic. It could be formalized within ZF, but that's a ton of work that most mathematicians wouldn't actually bother with.

But my point is that it is irrelevant what system you use to prove facts about ZF. There is a distinction between proving facts about ZF and proving theorems using ZF.

micromass said:
Well, it shouldn't be difficult for you to give a reference where first-order logic is done without mentioning infinity, countability or sets then?

Are you saying that if an author mentions sets, then that proves that first-order logic requires sets? I doubt if anything written in mathematics or logic today would fail to mention sets, because the reader is most likely familiar with sets and using sets greatly clarifies material.

Anyway, I really don't know what you are talking about when you say that first order logic needs set theory. What does that claim mean to you?

micromass said:
I see you conveniently ignored the necessity of countably many variables.

I wasn't ignoring that. You can specify what you mean by a variable without the notion of infinity. For example,

x is a variable
If V is a variable, then V' is a variable.

These two rules imply that we have variables x, x', x'', x''', etc. There are obviously infinitely many variables according to this specification, but you don't need to formalize the statement "There are infinitely many variables" in order to use variables.

What's an axiom schema then?

I thought I said what an axiom schema was. An axiom schema is a pattern such that an axiom is an instance of that pattern. For example, in the rules for propositional logic, there is an axiom schema for implies:

A implies (B implies A)

That isn't an axiom, but if you substitute sentences for A and B, then you get an axiom.

OK, I see you are completely missing my point. I'm not really all that interested in this discussion, so I'm leaving. If anybody wants more information on my point of view, they can read Paul Cohen's "Set Theory and the Continuum Hypothesis".

@stevendaryl , micromass is saying that in order to axiomatize logic, you first need some intuitive (informal, naive) understanding of sets. And I see nothing controversial about that.

stevendaryl said:
but children learn to use natural numbers before they learn set theory.
To teach a kid to count 3 apples, you first need to convey the idea that those apples constitute a kind of single entity (that is, a set). That's why you teach the kid to count apples in a basket, or to count the fingers at the hand, but not to count apples and fingers together, because it's much harder for a kid to get the idea that fingers and apples may constitute a single entity. If you ask a 5 year old kid how many apples and fingers together do we have, it's very likely that you will confuse him. The confusion stems from the fact that the concept of set is needed for counting, and this particular set is too abstract for him to do the counting.

In fact, in the first grade of elementary school, they taught us sets before teaching us counting.

Last edited:
Demystifier said:
To teach a kid to count 3 apples, you first need to convey the idea that those apples constitute a kind of single entity (that is, a set). That's why you teach the kid to count apples in a basket, or to count the fingers at the hand, but not to count apples and fingers together, because it's much harder for a kid to get the idea that fingers and apples may constitute a single entity. If you ask a 5 year old kid how many apples and fingers together do we have, it's very likely that you will confuse him. The confusion stems from the fact that the concept of set is needed for counting, and this particular set is too abstract for him to do the counting.

In fact, in the first grade of elementary school, they taught us sets before teaching us counting.

Well, I think there is a distinction between understanding and performance. You can learn to do arithmetic (or prove theorems in first-order logic) without knowing anything about sets. I think that micromass is right that understanding probably requires some kind of spiral approach, where you learn some topics in a superficial way, then use your superficial understanding of those topics to develop a deeper understanding of advanced topics, which can lead to a deeper understanding of the original topics. So you learn a little bit of arithmetic, a little bit of logic, a little bit about sets, and then use that knowledge to get a deeper understanding of arithmetic, logic and sets, rather than learning one completely and then going on to the others.

Likes Demystifier
I think naive logic is solid foundation contrary to naive set theory which is inconsistent. But even that inconsistency comes from the axiom of unrestricted comprehension, which is a "reflection" of boolean algebra into sets(so we can take any boolean predicate and form a set based on it). In some sense, naive logic is killing naive set theory, so logic comes first )

Likes Demystifier
<h2>1. What is the continuum hypothesis?</h2><p>The continuum hypothesis is a mathematical conjecture proposed by Georg Cantor in the late 19th century. It states that there is no set whose cardinality is strictly between that of the integers (countably infinite) and the real numbers (uncountably infinite).</p><h2>2. What is Aleph-1?</h2><p>Aleph-1 is the cardinality of the set of all countably infinite ordinal numbers. It is also known as the first uncountable cardinal number.</p><h2>3. What is Aleph-2?</h2><p>Aleph-2 is the cardinality of the set of all uncountably infinite ordinal numbers. It is also known as the second uncountable cardinal number.</p><h2>4. What is the relationship between continuum and Aleph-1 and Aleph-2?</h2><p>The continuum hypothesis states that the cardinality of the continuum (the set of real numbers) is equal to Aleph-1. However, some mathematicians argue that the continuum may actually have a higher cardinality, Aleph-2. This is known as the generalized continuum hypothesis.</p><h2>5. Why is the question of continuum and Aleph-2 vs Aleph-1 important?</h2><p>The answer to this question has important implications for various fields of mathematics, including set theory and topology. It also has philosophical implications, as it relates to the concept of infinity and the nature of mathematical truth.</p>

1. What is the continuum hypothesis?

The continuum hypothesis is a mathematical conjecture proposed by Georg Cantor in the late 19th century. It states that there is no set whose cardinality is strictly between that of the integers (countably infinite) and the real numbers (uncountably infinite).

2. What is Aleph-1?

Aleph-1 is the cardinality of the set of all countably infinite ordinal numbers. It is also known as the first uncountable cardinal number.

3. What is Aleph-2?

Aleph-2 is the cardinality of the set of all uncountably infinite ordinal numbers. It is also known as the second uncountable cardinal number.

4. What is the relationship between continuum and Aleph-1 and Aleph-2?

The continuum hypothesis states that the cardinality of the continuum (the set of real numbers) is equal to Aleph-1. However, some mathematicians argue that the continuum may actually have a higher cardinality, Aleph-2. This is known as the generalized continuum hypothesis.

5. Why is the question of continuum and Aleph-2 vs Aleph-1 important?

The answer to this question has important implications for various fields of mathematics, including set theory and topology. It also has philosophical implications, as it relates to the concept of infinity and the nature of mathematical truth.