Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do you believe there is a soul?

1. Yes.

31.3%
  2. No.

62.5%
  3. Something in between.

6.3%
  1. Jul 3, 2008 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Simple question. Use your own definition. Simple answer.

cross ref this thread

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2008 #2
    No, It's more of a psychological manifestation. No evidence to suggest "souls" exist.

4. Jul 3, 2008 #3
    I don't believe in a soul. It's just an abstract concept conjured up by people trying to explain things.

It's interesting to note that "soul" dates back to ancient Egypt, and possibly Sumeria. The concept had spread all over the world. It's a meme.

5. Jul 3, 2008 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

According to my own definition of the soul, sure. :smile:

6. Jul 3, 2008 #5
    I generally equate mind and soul so to some degree yes.

7. Jul 3, 2008 #6

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Of course there is a soul at least to the extent that each individual might place limitations in their interpretation.

Are there immortal souls or reincarnated souls or some other place for souls in the universe besides the confines of the planet - that becomes a matter of individual religious belief.

Are there self aware life essences that incorporate the more classical descriptive aspects of the soul like emotions, and urges and feelings mapped onto unique life experiences, then surely there are.

Perhaps the poll should more incisively ask are there immortal souls?

8. Jul 3, 2008 #7
    I voted yes. I define the soul as a living being minus its physical body. Without a soul, the body lies dead.

9. Jul 3, 2008 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I will leave definition of the soul to the post/poster that inspired this thread, which I referenced in post 1.

But even with the most liberal definition possible (i.e. make up your own), the results aren't looking good for coberst's postulate.

10. Jul 3, 2008 #9

DaveC426913

Gold Member

So, insects have souls?

11. Jul 3, 2008 #10
    I said no. There is simply no such thing. Its just a metaphor for consciousness.

12. Jul 3, 2008 #11
    Well, there is soul music for sure :tongue2: But since it could not be qualified "unique", so there would not be a soul.

13. Jul 3, 2008 #12
    Yes. Compare a living insect the instant before death to that same insect the instant after death. Subtract the identical body from both. The difference is the soul.

14. Jul 3, 2008 #13
    What do we do with the remainder though?

15. Jul 3, 2008 #14

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

So, if I understand you correctly:
    Since it is quite common at the moment of expiry that the body loses control of secretive functions (just ask hospital personell!), excrements are parts of our soul???

16. Jul 3, 2008 #15
    I mean take the difference between the living (minus the body) and the dead (minus the identical body) insect.

17. Jul 3, 2008 #16
    Are you saying that it is part of your body? Anyway, the instant I had in mind is a bit more instantaneous than the one you are talking about.

18. Jul 3, 2008 #17
    Ah, yes. I was thinking of division of mind and body............wonk wonk wonkkkkk.

19. Jul 3, 2008 #18

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Who else does the contents of the urethra and intestines belong to, then?

20. Jul 3, 2008 #19

DaveC426913

Gold Member

And it is made out of what? How much does it weigh? With what instrument can I observe it?

21. Jul 3, 2008 #20
    An L ron hubbard E-meter, obviously.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?