Do you believe there is a soul?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, Simple question. Use your own definition. Simple answer.There is no such thing as a soul. It is a metaphor for consciousness. Insects have souls.

Do you believe there is a soul?

• Total voters
I ain't got no rhythm, I ain't got no soul.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cyrus said:
I mean lack of oxygen in the blood is the difference between someone alive or dead.
But there is no difference in the amount of oxygen in the blood at the instant after death than there was at the instant before.

jimmysnyder said:
So plants are not alive?

Well, not in the same sense that animals are. I don't think the definition of life for a plant is the same as an animal.

For example, a person that's a 'vegtable' is alive, but not really.

DaveC426913 said:
Hang on a sec. I moved the mess (which is the living creature sans its soul), what is left behind?

You can't sidestep the question. If it exists as more than a concept, then I can measure it. Tell me how I can measure it.

As a wise man on another forum likes to say: I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

You have ALF living in your backyard!?

DaveC426913 said:
I moved the mess (which is the living creature sans its soul), what is left behind?
The mess, it's just in a different place. The soul left Dodge when the being died. You can't hold it in your hand, it's gone.

jimmysnyder said:
But there is no difference in the amount of oxygen in the blood at the instant after death than there was at the instant before.

I don't know if that's true. The lack of oxygen to the brain is what kills you.

Cyrus said:
Well, not in the same sense that animals are. I don't think the definition of life for a plant is the same as an animal.

For example, a person that's a 'vegtable' is alive, but not really.
For purpose of my definition, a person that is a 'vegetable' is really alive. My definition of soul includes plants as well as animals.

jimmysnyder said:
The mess, it's just in a different place. The soul left Dodge when the being died. You can't hold it in your hand, it's gone.
Of course I can't hold it in my hand, that's why I keep saying "figuratively".

But if it exists, I can measure it, at least in theory. Tell me what it is I'm measuring or admit that you've put forth an unfounded belief.

ohhh--its lunchtime where I live--

filet of soul

DaveC426913 said:
Of course I can't hold it in my hand, that's why I keep saying "figuratively".

But if it exists, I can measure it, at least in theory. Tell me what it is I'm measuring or admit that you've put forth an unfounded belief.
Don't get nasty. I was invited to this thread. You can't measure atoms either, but you can count them. There are as many souls are there are living beings.

jimmysnyder said:
Don't get nasty. I was invited to this thread. You can't measure atoms either, but you can count them. There are as many souls are there are living beings.

Thats a pretty bold and unfounded claim though, you must admit!

Sure you can measure atoms. Pick something up! You feel the weight of them, don't you? You can touch them, see them, taste them. You can even destroy them, or create them!

jimmysnyder said:
I do not mean to come across as nasty. My apologies.

I can measure atoms. I can tell you quite a bit about them.

But I am getting a bit insistent because you have put forth a claim and are studiously avoiding defining it.

And I think that pretty much ends further discussion on it, since you have no definition for it. Kind of a self-locking argument.

DaveC426913 said:
I do not mean to come across as nasty. My apologies.

I can measure atoms. I can tell you quite a bit about them.

But I am getting a bit insistent because you have put forth a claim and are studiously avoiding defining it.

And I think that pretty much ends further discussion on it, since you won't define what it is we're discussing.
Do you believe in physical theories?

Cyrus said:
Thats a pretty bold and unfounded claim though, you must admit!

Sure you can measure atoms. Pick something up! You feel the weight of them, don't you? You can touch them, see them, taste them. You can even destroy them, or create them!

jimmysnyder said:
What do you mean? Do I believe there are such things as theories about the physical world? Sure. Theories, as with all thoughts, are concepts in the minds of humans. Souls are concepts in the minds of humans too.

First, you would have to define what a "soul" is. It can mean different things to different people.

Anyway, we're not going to get anywhere with this so, upon request, thread closed.