Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do you coddle your eggs?

1. Nov 12, 2008 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2008 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

4. Nov 12, 2008 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sounds like a soft-boiled egg to me. What's supposed to be the difference?

5. Nov 12, 2008 #4

Tsu

Gold Member

Add butter, salt and pepper (if you like salt and pepper on your eggs...)

6. Nov 12, 2008 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmmm...I'm confused.

The first paragraph says that coddled eggs are...

Then in the third paragraph under "What is an Egg Coddler?" it says,

So are coddled eggs boiled in the shell, or are they poached :confused: ?

7. Nov 12, 2008 #6
    ugh, i either go for hard boiled or raw.

paprika is also good on eggs.

8. Nov 12, 2008 #7
    On an egg tangent, I was amazed to figure out earlier this year that if you do it right you don't need any special gadget to cook scrambled eggs in a microwave. The problem is that if you put the raw scrambled egg in a bowl or any container that allows the egg to be more than maybe a quarter of a centimeter thick it explodes when microwaved and makes a mess. But if I spray down a dinner plate with Pam, place it in the microwave, crack an egg onto it and scramble it, and put another dinner plate on top of it just in case, and nuke it for a minute, voilá, perfectly cooked scrambled egg in an omelette shape.

It's so awesome. If you have an English muffin handy you can make a breakfast sandwich in about ninety seconds. If you get the cooking time just right, barely long enough to cook the egg but not so long it starts to dry and stick to the plate, washing up is quick too - I usually just have to squeegee the remnants of the Pam off and rinse them. (Plus, of course, you can eat whatever you made off of the plate. Highly efficient.)

9. Nov 12, 2008 #8
    Whew, at first I thought that said cuddle your eggs.:biggrin:

10. Nov 12, 2008 #9
    I usually scramble my eggs in a frying pan and sprinkle on some shredded cheese while they are hot.

11. Nov 13, 2008 #10

wolram

Gold Member

The white is less (plastic) if you manage to get some.

12. Nov 13, 2008 #11

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I thought the title said "ego", not "eggs!"

13. Nov 13, 2008 #12
    Do I cuddle my ego?

Sure, but not on the first date.

14. Nov 13, 2008 #13

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you cuddled your eggs you'd probably be coddling them too.

15. Nov 13, 2008 #14
    It's simple, It's explained here:

:biggrin:

16. Nov 13, 2008 #15

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't see the difference between coddled eggs and poached eggs, either. I do liked poached eggs, though. If that's what this does, then I'm all for getting a egg coddler.

On an egg tangent:

I eat most of my eggs over easy, not coddled. I have gotten really good at not breaking the yoke when I crack an egg into a frying pan. I can finally make good "over easy" style eggs. These are still my favorite! Nothing like over easy eggs with toast. You dip the toast in the runny yoke and eat the egg whites on the toast like an open faced sandwich. Ahhh good times. Granted poached or, apparently coddled, eggs are still good and healthier. They don't come close to beating over easy or scrambled eggs!

(Since that tangent started talking about coddled eggs and ended talking about coddled eggs is it really an egg secant and not an egg tangent?)

17. Nov 13, 2008 #16

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Evo, I had something different in mind when I was thinking about your egg poaching device - I was thinking more of a circular "corral" that you'd place in the water and then pour the egg into.

18. Nov 13, 2008 #17

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The egg is the same whether it's cooked in a poacher or cooked in a coddler. The only difference seems to be that an egg coddler is supposed to be porcelain, but Amazon.com has stainless steel coddlers.

I think the egg coddlers look cool, I want one.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-coddled-egg.htm

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?