What is a coddled egg and how is it different from a poached egg?

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
In summary, an egg coddler is a buttered container that is briefly submerged in boiling water to cook the egg. The egg is broken into the coddler, and seasonings are added.
Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like a soft-boiled egg to me. What's supposed to be the difference?

Add butter, salt and pepper (if you like salt and pepper on your eggs...)

Hmmm...I'm confused.

The first paragraph says that coddled eggs are...

...made by very briefly immersing an egg in the shell in boiling water (to cook in water just below the boiling point)...

Then in the third paragraph under "What is an Egg Coddler?" it says,

The egg(s) are broken into the buttered coddler, and seasonings are added.

So are coddled eggs boiled in the shell, or are they poached :confused: ?

ugh, i either go for hard boiled or raw.

paprika is also good on eggs.

On an egg tangent, I was amazed to figure out earlier this year that if you do it right you don't need any special gadget to cook scrambled eggs in a microwave. The problem is that if you put the raw scrambled egg in a bowl or any container that allows the egg to be more than maybe a quarter of a centimeter thick it explodes when microwaved and makes a mess. But if I spray down a dinner plate with Pam, place it in the microwave, crack an egg onto it and scramble it, and put another dinner plate on top of it just in case, and nuke it for a minute, voilá, perfectly cooked scrambled egg in an omelette shape.

It's so awesome. If you have an English muffin handy you can make a breakfast sandwich in about ninety seconds. If you get the cooking time just right, barely long enough to cook the egg but not so long it starts to dry and stick to the plate, washing up is quick too - I usually just have to squeegee the remnants of the Pam off and rinse them. (Plus, of course, you can eat whatever you made off of the plate. Highly efficient.)

Whew, at first I thought that said cuddle your eggs.:biggrin:

I usually scramble my eggs in a frying pan and sprinkle on some shredded cheese while they are hot.

Moonbear said:
Sounds like a soft-boiled egg to me. What's supposed to be the difference?

The white is less (plastic) if you manage to get some.

I thought the title said "ego", not "eggs!"

edward said:

Hurkyl said:
I thought the title said "ego", not "eggs!"

Do I cuddle my ego?

Sure, but not on the first date.

edward said:

If you cuddled your eggs you'd probably be coddling them too.

lisab said:
Hmmm...I'm confused.

So are coddled eggs boiled in the shell, or are they poached :confused: ?

It's simple, It's explained here:

The ego(s) are broken into the buttered cuddler, and seasonings are added. The cuddler is then closed with the lid and partially immersed in boiling water for a few minutes. When the egos are cooked to the desired firmness, the cuddler is lifted from the boiling water, ...
:biggrin:

I don't see the difference between coddled eggs and poached eggs, either. I do liked poached eggs, though. If that's what this does, then I'm all for getting a egg coddler.

On an egg tangent:

I eat most of my eggs over easy, not coddled. I have gotten really good at not breaking the yoke when I crack an egg into a frying pan. I can finally make good "over easy" style eggs. These are still my favorite! Nothing like over easy eggs with toast. You dip the toast in the runny yoke and eat the egg whites on the toast like an open faced sandwich. Ahhh good times. Granted poached or, apparently coddled, eggs are still good and healthier. They don't come close to beating over easy or scrambled eggs!

(Since that tangent started talking about coddled eggs and ended talking about coddled eggs is it really an egg secant and not an egg tangent?)

Evo, I had something different in mind when I was thinking about your egg poaching device - I was thinking more of a circular "corral" that you'd place in the water and then pour the egg into.

Math Is Hard said:
Evo, I had something different in mind when I was thinking about your egg poaching device - I was thinking more of a circular "corral" that you'd place in the water and then pour the egg into.
The egg is the same whether it's cooked in a poacher or cooked in a coddler. The only difference seems to be that an egg coddler is supposed to be porcelain, but Amazon.com has stainless steel coddlers.

A coddled egg is somewhat similar to a poached egg. The difference is that poached eggs are cracked into an egg poacher and lightly cooked in the boiling water. A coddled egg is cooked within a glazed porcelain pot, in a pot of boiling water, although it may be cooked slowly in the shell. A coddled egg is cooked slowly and retains a soft yolk, and a tender white.
I think the egg coddlers look cool, I want one.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-coddled-egg.htm

What does it mean to "coddle" eggs?

Coddling eggs refers to the cooking method of submerging whole eggs in simmering water for a short period of time. This results in a soft, creamy texture for the eggs.

Why do some people prefer to coddle their eggs instead of boiling them?

Coddling eggs can result in a softer, creamier texture compared to boiling. It also allows for more control over the cooking time, ensuring that the eggs are cooked to the desired level of doneness.

How long should I coddle my eggs for?

The length of time needed to coddle eggs can vary depending on personal preference and the size of the eggs. Generally, it is recommended to coddle eggs for 6-8 minutes for a medium-soft yolk, or 10-12 minutes for a firmer yolk.

Can I coddle eggs in the microwave?

No, coddling eggs in the microwave is not recommended as it can result in uneven cooking and can potentially cause the eggs to explode. It is best to use the stovetop for coddling eggs.

What dishes can I make with coddled eggs?

Coddled eggs can be used in a variety of dishes, such as eggs Benedict, salads, or as a topping for toast. They can also be enjoyed on their own with some seasoning and toast for dipping.