What unusual kitchenware do you collect?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weird
In summary, the conversation is about collecting unusual items and the different types of collections the participants have. They discuss items such as kitchenware, stamps, rocks, guns, knives, and music. Some participants believe collecting is a healthy hobby, while others think it can indicate psychological issues. They also mention the practical uses of their collections, such as using tennis balls as chair protectors.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Zz's food and wine category and my move reminded me of my bizarre culinary collection. I collect bizarre kitchenware such as a soup tureen that looks like a boar's head, complete with tusks, a chafing dish that looks like a duck, a pewter gravy boat that looks like a rabbit and sits on a lettuce leaf, a creamer that looks like a cow, you lift it by the tail and milk pours out of it's mouth and a teapot that has a brontosaurus head coming out of the side of a house, the tea pours out of the dinosaur's mouth. These are actually artisan pieces, I used to go to great lengths to find them, back when I had a life.

I am thinking we must have other members that are into collecting "not so normal" things. I'd like to hear about them and please post pictures if you have them.

edit: I forgot to mention the porcelain salt and pepper set of a cat wearing goggles sitting in a race car that looks like a fish. The Child of Evo was looking at this today and just shaking her head.

My mother is the source of my fascination with odd kitchenware. I grew up with things like ceramic knife rests that looked like miniature vegetables. I thought everyone had ceramic knife rests, you placed your knife next to your plate at the table with the point resting on the uhm...vegetable, which kept the knife from soiling the tablecloth. And we had matching corn holders and corn boats.

These are great.

http://www.uncommongoods.com/item/item.jsp?itemId=14410&gclid=CM3B_bfRxo4CFSCTWAodt090wg

These are corn boats, I grew up thinking you couldn't eat corn unless it was sitting in a special holder, corn was not allowed to touch your plate.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/PFALTZGRAF/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Oooh, these are cool knife rests, they're dragonflies. I need these. Who else has knife rests?

http://www.macys.com/catalog/produc...inkshareID=jXot6eVeYJg-okomudfXVH9Px0LuLiD75w

These are nice, I like Christofle.

http://www.vivre.com/control/produc...ce=NextTag&utm_medium=PI&utm_campaign=Product

Oh, and I have a set of cat pâté knives.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have never heard of knife rests, but I have seen chopstick rests.

I like those combination knife rest and napkin rings. Very elegant.

I collect rocks, guns, knives, guitars, music (albums and CDs) and I facet gemstones, build fly-rods, repair guitars and restore/fix tube amplifiers as hobbies. I don't think any of this is weird, but some could disagree.

I used to collect things but now I dont. I think collecting things is not healthy and indicate psychological problems.

cyrusabdollahi said:
I used to collect things but now I dont. I think collecting things is not healthy and indicate psychological problems.
:rofl: Ok, but I don't think it's odd to buy things that you enjoy. Why would you buy things that you don't like?

When I was little the grocery store had a dinosaur album and every week you could buy a stamp of a dinosaur to paste in the album. There were only about 20 known dinosaurs when I was little. :uhh:

I used to collect things a lot when I was younger, A LOT. Now ever time I see people collecting things I cringe and say to myself why? Theres just no need to collect stuff.

I collected stamps when I was in third grade, but since then I haven't collected anything. I agree with Cyrus, I don't see the point.

cyrusabdollahi said:
I used to collect things a lot when I was younger, A LOT. Now ever time I see people collecting things I cringe and say to myself why? Theres just no need to collect stuff.
If you don't collect stuff, you won't have anything to dust.

My weird kitchen stuff I actually use. I used to love throwing dinner parties so I could use all the cool things. The crystal and china I just enjoy looking at. It's like art, why buy a painting when it just hangs on your wall? Because you enjoy looking at it.

mattmns said:
I collected stamps when I was in third grade, but since then I haven't collected anything. I agree with Cyrus, I don't see the point.
I also collected stamps when I was little, my favorite was a huge gorilla stamp from the Congo my uncle sent me when he lived there. I can still remember being fascinated by so many of the stamps. I don't regret any of the things I collected because I learned so much from doing it. Now days kids sit in front of video games and learn nothing about the world around them.

Stamps, among other things that they are, are small pieces of art (old ones are engravings, new ones are photo-lithographs). and They take you other parts of the world.

I had never heard of knife rests before, but I really like the idea. I'm always torn about what to do with my knife when in a restaurant. Once it has been used, if you prop it on your plate, the server is likely to carry it off with the plate when they pick up the dishes from the first course, leaving you knifeless for the rest of the dinner, but if you don't prop it on the plate, you're being equally gauche about leaving a dirty knife on the table cloth. A knife rest solves that entire dilemma. I guess a chopstick rest, as MIH mentioned, could serve the same purpose, I just never considered it before.

Likes gracy
I've collected tennis balls, cleats and cat whiskers. But I don't think those are weird.

I gave the tennis balls to the local elementary school so they cut put on the legs of chairs so they could slide quietly on the tile floor. It also prevents scratching of the tiles.

I collect whiskers of our cats when I find them.

I still have my cleat collection. :biggrin:

MB---there are people who just collect antique knife rests--I think they've been around since the 1700's. They really made a bunch of them from the 1860's to the 1910's.

Moonbear said:
I had never heard of knife rests before, but I really like the idea. I'm always torn about what to do with my knife when in a restaurant. Once it has been used, if you prop it on your plate, the server is likely to carry it off with the plate when they pick up the dishes from the first course, leaving you knifeless for the rest of the dinner, but if you don't prop it on the plate, you're being equally gauche about leaving a dirty knife on the table cloth. A knife rest solves that entire dilemma. I guess a chopstick rest, as MIH mentioned, could serve the same purpose, I just never considered it before.
Knife rests are a relic from the golden age of dining that have fallen out of popular use, which is odd since they serve such a practical function.

I have to admit that even though I grew up with them, I had forgotten about them until this move. It's like an archaeological dig, I keep finding ancient artifacts. :biggrin:

rewebster said:
They really made a bunch of them from the 1860's to the 1910's.
Yes, that's the era to which I was referring. I'm impressed with your knowledge. I also have antique crystal salt cellars with silver spoons. We used them all of the time when I grew up, we didn't use salt shakers at the table on formal occasions.

Astronuc, you get a thumbs up for the cat whiskers, even I had never considered that.

What is a "salt cellar"?

Evo said:
Knife rests are a relic from the golden age of dining that have fallen out of popular use, which is odd since they serve such a practical function.

So, where do you place them when setting a table? Do you prop the knife on them, or put them near the tip somewhere? I'm game for instructing my guests on their use (they'd probably get as much of a kick out of the idea as I do), but would want to do it right so they'd learn properly if I'm going to use them at all. This sounds like something I would have fun buying. Y'know, it would be really fun if someone made a matching wineglass charm and knife rest so your guests could match their glass to the rest to find their seat (a new twist on an old theme)...and would be really interesting for seating arrangements...for some types of parties, having people randomly assigned to seats that way would really be fun for inspiring mingling among those who don't yet know each other. :smile:

Math Is Hard said:
What is a "salt cellar"?

Basically, a little bowl of salt and a tiny spoon (about the same size, or maybe a bit smaller, than a demitasse spoon). You use the spoon to sprinkle salt on your food instead of a shaker. My mom did have those, but we rarely used them.

Moonbear said:
So, where do you place them when setting a table? Do you prop the knife on them, or put them near the tip somewhere? I'm game for instructing my guests on their use (they'd probably get as much of a kick out of the idea as I do), but would want to do it right so they'd learn properly if I'm going to use them at all. This sounds like something I would have fun buying.
You set them at the top right of the dinner plate. When I set the table, I placed the knife on the rest. I may need to dig out my old Emily Post book to see if that is correct. Yes, I actually own a copy.

Edit: looks like you set the table with them propped.

http://www.erasofelegance.com/acatalog/kniferests.html

now, it would be really fun if someone made a matching wineglass charm and knife rest so your guests could match their glass to the rest to find their seat (a new twist on an old theme)...and would be really interesting for seating arrangements...for some types of parties, having people randomly assigned to seats that way would really be fun for inspiring mingling among those who don't yet know each other. :smile:
Oh, now that sounds like a great idea! I wonder if anyone has thought of that?

Last edited:
http://www.collectorbookstore.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/729971/vpcsid/0/SFV/25130

Moonbear said:
Basically, a little bowl of salt and a tiny spoon (about the same size, or maybe a bit smaller, than a demitasse spoon). You use the spoon to sprinkle salt on your food instead of a shaker. My mom did have those, but we rarely used them.
Yes, and for individual table settings, they are very small as Moonbear mentioned, here is a picture of one.

http://www.rubylane.com/shops/five4us/item/9095

My wife loves this stuff too. She fantasizes about collecting teapots that look like a head of lettuce and such.
Oh yeah, my mother has one that looks like a bloated corn cob. It's fun to find these unique pieces.

OOOPS, I just edited your thread instead of quoting you.

Moonbear said:

Evo said:
Yes, and for individual table settings, they are very small as Moonbear mentioned, here is a picture of one.

Very pretty! That is much more elegant than the salt-lick we had on our family dinner table back in Alabama. :biggrin:

This almost feels off topic since it doesn't involve salt or knives, but it does deal with food and collections, so: I collect the fortunes from fortune cookies from Chinese restaurants (not sure if they exist outside the US, in case you are very confused as to what I'm talking about).

I haven't had Chinese food in a long time, so the collection growth has nearly halted. I wonder if someday I sell them all back to whatever company makes them...

"If you are still hungy, eat another fortune cookie."

I collect Zippo lighters =] It's actually illegal to buy Zippo's in the USA at my age, but in Australia its just fine :) They're quite expensive for someone my age, about 40/50 for a standard one and 80 for a good one. I have about 12 right now :)

"Junklady: Better To Stay In Here, Dear.
Junklady: There's Nothing You Want Out There.
Junklady: No, Oh, No!
Junklady: Oh, What Have We Got Here?
Sarah: Lancelot.
Junklady: Your Little Bunny Rabbit!
Junklady: You Like Your Little Bunny Rabit.
Junklady: Yes, Yes, Yes!
Junklady: Oh, And There's Betsy Boo.
Junklady: Yes, Yes, Yes!
Junklady: What Else Have We Got?
Junklady: What's This?
Junklady: Let's Have A Look.
Junklady: It's A Pencil Box.
Junklady: Got Lots Of Pencils!
Junklady: Here's Your Panda Slippers.
Junklady: You Like Your Panda Slippers!
Junklady: You Never Wanted Them Thrown Away, Did You?
Junklady: Now, Then, What Else?
Junklady: Oh, It's Little Horsie.
Junklady: You Love Little Horsie, Don't You.
Junklady: And Look At This!
Junklady: You Got A Printing Game.
Junklady: Here's A Treasure.
Junklady: You'll Want That, Won't You, My Dear?
Junklady: Put It On.
Junklady: Make Yourslef Up.
Junklady: And Here's Dear Old Flopsie.
Junklady: You'll Want Her.
Junklady: Oh, Yes.
Junklady: Oh, Yes. Charlie Bear.
Junklady: There's Charlie Bear For You, Hmm?
Sarah: There Was Something I Was Looking For.
Junklady: Ah, Don't Talk Nonsense.
Junklady: Everything In The World You've Ever Cared About
Junklady: Is All Right Here.
Junklady: Here's Your Little Toy Candy Shop!"

http://www.thealmightyguru.com/Reviews/Labyrinth/Docs/Transcript-Labyrinth.txt

cyrusabdollahi said:

So, you had psychological problems when you were younger? :tongue:

Edit:

Evo said:
If you don't collect stuff, you won't have anything to dust.

:bugeye: You for real, Evo??

Evo said:

I think we have one of those - but I never knew what it was. I don't even remember when we got it, but I think it was a gift. My mom has often bought us tableware and kitchenware that she thought looked nice. It goes into the cupboards and never comes out.

I collect bizarre kitchenware such as a soup tureen that looks like a boar's head, complete with tusks, a chafing dish that looks like a duck, a pewter gravy boat that looks like a rabbit and sits on a lettuce leaf, a creamer that looks like a cow, you lift it by the tail and milk pours out of it's mouth and a teapot that has a brontosaurus head coming out of the side of a house, the tea pours out of the dinosaur's mouth.
I would say unusual rather than bizzare. Years ago, people collected interesting things which enhanced the presentation of food. Evo, you certainly have a flair for the unusual.

Way back when, I also collected LP's classic rock, jazz, blues and unusual music. Unfortunately, I don't have a turntable.

I also collect brass locomotives - particular models of heavy electrics and ALCO Century series locomotives.

But like Cyrus, I began to wonder why collect if they only get stored away in a box or drawer.

The cat whiskers are placed in a plastic box in the top drawer of my dresser. It's a way to remember the cats whom have lived with us, in addition to having pictures.

Math Is Hard said:
What is a "salt cellar"?

You can make your own (provided you can fold as fast as the person in the video).
http://www.origami-videos.com/origami-salt-cellar.html

For even more, you can take some tin foil and make your own tin foil http://www.origami-videos.com/origami-samurai-helmet.html .

And for the record, there's nothing weird about the things I collect. :rofl:

BobG said:
You can make your own (provided you can fold as fast as the person in the video).
http://www.origami-videos.com/origami-salt-cellar.html

For even more, you can take some tin foil and make your own tin foil http://www.origami-videos.com/origami-samurai-helmet.html .

And for the record, there's nothing weird about the things I collect. :rofl:

I could get addicted to those origami videos!

I collect women's underwear. So far I have about 300 separate pieces.

tacosareveryyum said:

Please be either a joker or a female.

DaveC426913 said:
Please be either a joker or a female.

or post one more comment like it (so the mentors can decide what to do)

tacosareveryyum said:
Stuff from the dumpster in back on the nursing home?

Back