Alcohol Drinking Habits Amongst Peers: Reflections on High School

• Thread starter Permanence
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Alcohol
In summary, the author abstained from drinking during their high school years, but still experienced pressure to do so from peers. They believe that not drinking does not interfere with work or research.
StatGuy2000 said:
1. Not really -- I might have the odd glass of wine or beer with my meal, but otherwise I do not drink.

Did anyone else think to themselves, 'I wonder if StatGuy drinks 1, 3, 5, 7,... glasses?'

Likes 1 person
Physics news on Phys.org
Permanence said:
1. Do you drink alcohol?
2. At what age did you begin?
3. Do you believe drinking interferes with your work or research?
1. Yes. I have a preference for Stouts and Porters, Scottish Ales and Belgian Trappiste Ales. My favorites are Deschutes Abyss on nitro, Full Sail Imperial Stout, Goose Island Bourbon County, and Eagle River Raven's Eye - or basically a good Stout aged in a bourbon or whisky barrel.

Then certain single malt Scotches, rums and tequilas.

These days I drink sparingly, usually late afternoon on the weekends, or with dinner during week nights. Most days, I don't drink.

2. Probably at age 10 or 11 with wine at dinner. My mom didn't appreciate that I gulped the wine.

At age 13, I visited a neighborhood girl whose parents had a well stocked liquor cabinet. We made a concoction of various alcoholic beverages, including Everclear. I became mildly intoxicated.

At 16, I spent a summer at Colorado School of Mines. There was a frat party, and I consumed at least a couple of liters of beer. My head was spinning, but I didn't get sick. About a week later, I overdid it on Vodka (lesson: Don't mix orange Tang or Fanta Root Beer with Vodka. And then don't smoke a cheap cigar. I became violently ill.)

In my early university years - I kind of overdid it. I'm basically stubborn, but I learned moderation.

3. Overdoing it with anything can harm one's ability to perform work or research. As others have stated, moderation is the key.

Certainly alcohol can be abused, and it certainly impairs judgement. Alcohol doesn't necessarily lead to other ills, but it can contribute to misfortune for some.

Last edited:
Alcohol doesn't necessarily lead to other ills, but it can contribute to misfortune for some.

I would say, based solely on about fifty years of observation, the following:

Two symptoms I would advise everyone to be aware of are -

1. If you experience a "Blackout" , be aware that most people don't get them but it is common among people who develop alcohol related problems.

2. If it becomes unpredictable whether on any night you will drink to oblivion, that too is a symptom.
It's not a certainty that a potential alcoholic will always drink to excess - it's the unpredictability that's the giveaway . REF: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0553274872/?tag=pfamazon01-20

If you are worried go to any library and quietly check out the book "Alcoholics Anonymous" .
Read the last half, which is real people's stories, first.
Also stand back for a few minutes and watch the book shelf - chances are you'll see several people standing nearby trying self consciously to be not noticed perusing that section.

old jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
The one other thing that I wanted to add was that as a non-drinker, I certainly have felt the pressure to drink. Socially it's often expected that you will drink because it's such a common thing and when you refuse you often have to give an explanation as to why. That, often inadvertently, can be a kind of social pressure. People who are drinking and having a good time usually don't want a non-drinker explaining why he has chosen not to drink.

That said, there are a lot of ways to deal with it and still not drink, and not be the guy who brings everyone down. For a while I was quite popular as a designated driver, for example. I find if you're non-judgemental about not drinking, then it's a lot easier to have a good time when you're among those who make different choices.

I lost my membership card for excessive use!

Permanence said:
1. Do you drink alcohol?
1. No, I don't. I often sip a little (<300 ml) at special formal parties.
2. I remember I first took can of a Heineken when I was 16.
3. I will fall asleep at once if I take 2 cans of beer. I can't take it when my head seems like exploding or harsh rupture of blood veins is going to happen in my head. I have friends and have seen people with large intake of alcohol but they looks calm and like they can take much more even after 10-12 bottles of tiger. Sorry I don't have scientific knowledge about alcohol susceptibility, induction from our body.

Last weekend I was out at a cabin in the woods with some friends. I had earlier received a nice bottle of wine as a gift (about $100 value) and we popped it open and drank it. It was fantastic. Having a bottle of expensive wine with a perfectly cooked steak was a real experience. No one got drunk.

I get together once a week with a group of friends and we go to a local place that has a huge variety of beers on tap, many of them imported. It can be a lot of fun to order different beers and sample different varieties. There's a large range of flavors you don't find in many other beverages. Very rarely during these outings does anyone get more than a little bit tipsy.

I think there is a bit of a problem in the US with how we educate our youths with regards to alcohol consumption. The truth is, when used in moderation, there is nothing wrong with alcohol consumption. By not allowing oneself to do that, a person is cutting themselves off from a number of experiences in life that can be quite interesting and pleasurable.

I don't drink much alcohol, at really rare occasions I do drink, I just don't like the taste of alcohol (the same stuff that is used to disinfect wound). Though licker drink is tasty but it's really not because of the alcohol.

But I can do the math also when not sober, it might be funnier... :-)

1. Do you drink alcohol?

I have, and have been pass-out, fall down the stairs and embarrassingly drunk. Although I have recently stopped completely as I found it was much too difficult to stop at one . So I don't anymore. 2. At what age did you begin?
~6-8 I'm Irish ;)

Permanence said:
1. Do you drink alcohol?

Thanks.

1. Barely. A six pack in the fridge can last months - especially in the winter. I'll occasionally have wine at dinner/parties - infrequently enough I'd have a hard time figuring out exactly how often.

2. I had one party in my senior year of high school where I drank (and got very drunk). But, for the most part, I started using alcohol after high school.

3. No.

When I was young and went to more parties, I drank more often (and occasionally got drunk - especially early on). When I had my first apartment, I had beer in the fridge all the time and probably drank at least one or two every day, but that kind of dropped off once the coolness of being able to do it wore off.

In other words, I mostly drank because it was the thing to do. In fact, even still, there's a decent chance the only drink I'll have at a party/cook-out/etc is when I first get there and the host offers me one.

Not that I dislike drinking. It is nice to have a beer after mowing the lawn/working in the yard on a hot day or some wine at dinner once in a while. It's just that the urge for a drink just doesn't occur all that often.

Permanence said:
As I reflect back on my four awkward years of high school I still cringe at all the awkward times I had to turn down a drink. Among youths, choosing to abstain from alcohol was an easy way to put a target on your back and slowly alienate yourself. The pressure did get to a lot of kids. Even the religious ones. I never really had an interest to drink, not that I cared if others were doing it. Now I am honestly the only non-drinker among my group of peers, so I was curious how the rest of you were.
1. Do you drink alcohol?

Thanks.
1. I rarely do. Sometimes when I pass an exam a few glasses of beer are ok.
2. First time I got drunk was at 16 years old.
3. It could or could not but depends on how much you drink. My father is an example of a Ph.D. who was a researcher and a professor in several universities and alcohol ruined/demolished his carreer and personal life.

lisab said:
Did anyone else think to themselves, 'I wonder if StatGuy drinks 1, 3, 5, 7,... glasses?'

LOL! :tongue: That's a good one!

In truth, the number of glasses are more than likely to be <=3.

Ryan_m_b said:
The thread has been reopened, please keep all conversations civil, sensible and back up any non-personal claims with evidence.

This entire thread is one big anecdotal mess validating peoples' worldviews.

Turion said:
This entire thread is one big anecdotal mess validating peoples' worldviews.
As the OP was asking for anecdotes I don't see a problem with the sharing of anecdotes (not comment currently on whether or not they validate people's worldviews). My warning was because several posts (now deleted) were making factual claims with no evidence.

Ryan_m_b said:
As the OP was asking for anecdotes I don't see a problem with the sharing of anecdotes (not comment currently on whether or not they validate people's worldviews). My warning was because several posts (now deleted) were making factual claims with no evidence.

I would say that there are still posts described by the bolded.

It is very pointless to have a debate with only anecdotal evidence regardless of what the OP asked. It turns into a "majority agrees with me and so I'm right". For example: look at ProgressNation's, OmCheeto's, and davenn's posts.

The only thing missing is a like button and the circlejerk will be complete.

Last edited:
Turion said:
I would say that there are still posts described by the bolded.

It is very pointless to have a debate with only anecdotal evidence regardless of what the OP asked. It turns into a "majority agrees with me and so I'm right". For example: look at ProgressNation's, OmCheeto's, and davenn's posts.

The only thing missing is a like button and...

Interesting. I just sent a PM to Ryan implying that he should consider deleting my post you are referring to.

ps. PF is starting:rolleyes: to interfere with my river time. Is there a PF's anonymous?

Last edited:
Just clarifying that I made this thread not to spark an intellectual debate, but simply to hear some stories. I don't think that the answer to alcohol-question is narrow enough to be a good or bad. We all react differently and I was simply interested in hearing the stories of the educated (I think it's fair to assume the average PF user is more educated than the average American).

I think we can all agree to the following:
- Some consume alcohol and maintain productive lives.
- Some consume alcohol and do not maintain productive lives.
- Some do not consume alcohol and maintain productive lives.
- Some do not consume alcohol and do not maintain productive lives.

I think I'll be having my first drink soon. Frankly I'm not interested in alcohol at all, but I'd like my first drink to be something memorable so I'd like to have it with my grandfather.

Permanence said:
... I made this thread not to spark an intellectual debate ...
Ummm... You might be in the wrong forum... :tongue2:
I think I'll be having my first drink soon. Frankly I'm not interested in alcohol at all, but I'd like my first drink to be something memorable so I'd like to have it with my grandfather.

It's not really necessary, but if you do, don't stand up too quickly, as, at your level of tolerance, it will make you dizzy, and perhaps, a bit giggly.

ps. You might want to have gramps take a video, and have him replay it every time you see him. I have Facebook friends that have been lifelong drinkers, and they scream every time someone posts their picture; "Take it down! I did not give you permission to post that picture!"

blogg2.jpg

The video may "cure" you of your curiosity. :smile:

OmCheeto said:
blogg2.jpg

The above image is an example of the second phase of the "biphasic" effects of alcohol.

One minute, you are up and giggling, and two decades later you are, well, um...
Let's just say the chair seat is the x-axis.

Does this make sense now?

Last edited:
Permanence said:
1. Do you drink alcohol?

1. Yes
2. Around 12
3. No, I have unusually high alcoholic tolerance levels

Bounty Rum @ 65% hit me up some time, brother

Better to be the guy sleeping on the table than the one sleeping on the tree. That's going to leave a mark.