Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do you drink coffee?

1. May 4, 2008 #1
    Recently, I have noticed that essentially everyone I know regularly drinks coffee. I have never drank coffee and I just find this an interesting historical trend. A lot of the people I know seem to drink in the fashion of Paul Erdos's famous quote: "A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems" but the trend seems to be just as popular outside of the mathematics community as well. I guess one obvious reason people drink it is that it helps keep you awake in the morning or late at night. However, just eating breakfast usually wakes me up in the morning and if I want to stay up late to finish an assignment or something I usually just push myself through it. Furthermore, I have always disliked the taste of plain coffee. Of course, the Starbucks renditions taste amazing with their overwhelm-the-drinker-with-sugar taste.

Anyone have any insights into this?

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2008 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I, personally, am absolutely addicted to the stuff. I usually have at least one cup in the morning and possible one after dinner, maybe more if the events of the day prescribe it!

Today, I have already had two cups, with another one tempting me! I love coffee. That is why I drink it. I like the taste and it helps wake me up in the morning. I think thats all there is too it. People like the drink, so they drink it.

4. May 4, 2008 #3
    To answer the thread topic question, no I don't drink coffee. Its mostly because I don't like the taste. Some sort of coffee/chocolate combo drink is nice occasionally though.

I almost think that coffee is an addiction problem for many people... especially those who say, "I can't function in the morning without my coffee!!" and then giggle like its no big deal.

5. May 4, 2008 #4

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My name is BobG and I'm a coffee addict.

There's ways to quit, but they all carry the potential to destroy civilization as we know it: Stopping caffeine addiction

6. May 4, 2008 #5
    Nope, don't drink it, only decaf because I like it with milk now and then.

Caffeine isn't good for me, I get shaky :D.

7. May 4, 2008 #6
    I stopped drinking coffee 8 months ago after I realized that it was acting as a laxative for me.

8. May 4, 2008 #7
    Once in a while I might gulp a cup of coffee. Everyone I know is addicted, and they give me trouble for not joining their club.

9. May 4, 2008 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep, definitely an addict here. I've always liked coffee since the first time I tasted it, though. I've known people who really don't like it and pour in the sugar and milk to make it palatable just so they can get the caffeine...that I don't quite understand. Even stranger is my boyfriend who drinks nothing caffeinated and somehow manages to still function on only about 5 hours of sleep at night...I keep looking for where the battery door is.

10. May 4, 2008 #9

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Pure and black is the only true path! While I've switched to green tea at the office, I more than make up for it on the weekends.

11. May 4, 2008 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've pretty much had a cup of coffee in my hand since I was twelve years old.

12. May 4, 2008 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, I do like a little milk and sugar, but mostly that's because it's difficult to get really good coffee around here. I LOVE a really good cup of espresso, though, if it's made right (if you have to do it as a "shot" or add milk and sugar, it's not made right).

13. May 4, 2008 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmm...it might be a bit cold by now. Maybe it's time to get a fresh cup. :biggrin:

14. May 4, 2008 #13

turbo

Gold Member

Victim of a superglue prank? :rolleyes:

15. May 4, 2008 #14

turbo

Gold Member

Every morning I fire up the Espresso-maker and I load grounds to the maximum and fill with enough water to make 4 (demitasse) cups. Into my big National Zoological Park mug if goes - strong, hot and black. Usually, I have just one cup, but I'm feeling pretty crappy today after being exposed to some perfume yesterday, so I'm having a second mug now as a pick-me-up.

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  16. May 4, 2008 #15

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Personally, I like my cup(or gigantic mug if we're being realistic) with a medium amount of cream. Not enough to make the coffee a tan color, only enough to make it brownish. I also hate sugar in coffee. I think the mix between sweet and bitter just doesn't work. I like coffee more when it is just bitter. It's a drink that's meant to be bitter, and thats the way i drink it!

17. May 4, 2008 #16
    I drink coffee for the taste. Used to work at a coffee house and drink variations of it all day long. Currently having a night cap of espresso and irish cream. mmmm

18. May 4, 2008 #17
    I have never had coffee, not even a sip, and don't plan on ever trying it.

19. May 4, 2008 #18

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[​IMG]
    ...sometimes with sugar.

20. May 4, 2008 #19
    i don't drink coffee, although i am addicted to tea made with a high sugar ppm, yebra-matte and occasionally a cup of nescafe (gold).
    there is a type of coffee, iconic in Arab countries that makes you go _as terry pratchett puts it_ knurd (opposite of drunk). people who drink that stuff in mugs don't have the physical ability to go to sleep. it actually turns solid when it cools.

21. May 4, 2008 #20

Mk

There's a joke among hackers identical to that, but with nicotine. Not sure why.

I personally, hate coffee.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?