Do You Eat Breakfast? Survey Reveals 4 Out of 6 Overweight

• Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date
In summary: I have a friend who's the same way. :)Breakfast is an important meal nonetheless. Something is better than nothing.

Do you eat breakfast?

• Yes.

Votes: 24 40.7%
  • Sometimes.

Votes: 22 37.3%
  • No.

Votes: 13 22.0%

• Total voters
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I'm asking this question because I realized that a lot of people don't.

Out of about 10 I asked so far, 6 have said no, 2 sometimes, and 2 said yes. None of the 4 that eat breakfast or eat it sometimes is overweight. Out of the 6 that do not eat breakfast, atleast 4 are considered overweight or are on their to being overweight (fat is starting to pile on).

I'm thinking about doing a survey at school, and determining how many people eat breakfast and other related questions.

It blows my mind to see people not eat breakfast. Because to me, that's like throwing your metabolism in the air and pulling out an AK-47 and shooting it to death. It's probably the dumbest decision you can make in regards to your own diet.

So, do you eat breakfast and what do you eat?

Physics news on Phys.org
Problem is I am not a morning person, so breakfast for me is usually lunch for others.

I really do like breakfast/brunch foods though.

Eggs, grits, sausage, ham, salsa, hot sauce. MMMMMMMMMM. :approve: Just don't ask me to eat before 10am at the earliest.

Evo said:
Problem is I am not a morning person, so breakfast for me is usually lunch for others.

I really do like breakfast/brunch foods though.

Eggs, grits, sausage, ham, salsa, hot sauce. MMMMMMMMMM. :approve: Just don't ask me to eat before 10am at the earliest.

Wow, I would have never of guessed.

Sleeping in for me is sleeping until 9. I can't sleep past 8:30 for some reason even when I go out until 1-2am.

Does coffee count? Some days I eat a cereal bar if I know I won't have time to get lunch, or if I get to sleep in on the weekend, I'll make something for breakfast when I get up, but usually, I'm just not awake enough in the morning to stomach breakfast. I need the coffee to start kicking in before I can handle meals, so usually I just wait until lunch time. Then again, I don't eat dinner very early either, so I probably don't go much longer between dinner and lunch than most people go between dinner and breakfast.

And, for the record, I'm not overweight. I think it would be worse to force myself to eat a meal I'm not really hungry for just because someone else says I should eat at that time.

I eat a banana usually, or other piece of fruit. And I usually have a latte with non-fat milk.

Math Is Hard said:
I eat a banana usually, or other piece of fruit. And I usually have a latte with non-fat milk.
If I eat a banana on an empty stomach I get the most excrutiating stomach pains, so bad, that I haven't been able to eat a banana for over 7 years. I'm terrified of them now, and I love how they taste.

I've heard there is a reason for the pain, it's not that uncommon, I just don't know exactly what causes it.

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
And, for the record, I'm not overweight. I think it would be worse to force myself to eat a meal I'm not really hungry for just because someone else says I should eat at that time.

I wouldn't force the meal down.

Breakfast is an important meal nevertheless.

http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/1483.html [Broken]

There's a nice answer to why someone should eat breakfast. Like explained, since you can't stomach food in the morning a light snack is alright, so I guess that's where your coffee comes in.

Something is better than nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Math Is Hard said:

I'm a breakfast banana eater too. :biggrin:

I usually eat breakfast, especially during school because there are a lot of times where I don't have time for lunch. I usually have cereal or some fruit mixed with yogurt and granola. Everyonce in a while I treat myself to eggs in a bagel with cheese...yum.

I'll drink coffee first thing, and then may a couple of slices of toast with VEGEMITE and cheese (preferably Swiss or Provalone), or if I get breakfast at work, it's bacon, egg and chees on a roll or biscuit and an everything bagle with chive or jalapeño and cream cheese.

Once in a while, I'll do eggs, grits, sausage or bacon, salsa, hot sauce.

And once in a while blueberry or banana pancakes.

During berry season, I just walk out the back door and get a hand full of fresh blueberries, raspberries, strawberries or blackberries and have them with cereal/granola.

I don't think there's any food that I can't or don't eat.

scorpa said:
I usually eat breakfast, especially during school because there are a lot of times where I don't have time for lunch. I usually have cereal or some fruit mixed with yogurt and granola. Everyonce in a while I treat myself to eggs in a bagel with cheese...yum.

Yeah, that's good. You can get a BLT Bagel with an egg for only $3 CDN at our school.

Astronuc said:
I'll drink coffee first thing, and then may a couple of slices of toast with VEGEMITE and cheese (preferably Swiss or Provalone), or if I get breakfast at work, it's bacon, egg and chees on a roll or biscuit and an everything bagle with chive or jalapeño and cream cheese.

Once in a while, I'll do eggs, grits, sausage or bacon, salsa, hot sauce.

And once in a while blueberry or banana pancakes.

I don't think there's any food that I can't or don't eat.

Sounds like a big breakfast everytime.

I pretty much have eggs, chicken bacon, banana, orange and glass of milk everyday. I wake up a little earlier to cook it all. It's so worth it.

I should try those pancakes though. So tasty.

I eat breakfast every day, often leftovers from earlier meals, but sometimes something whipped up for that particular day. I eat lunch only about 50% of the time, but breakfast is critical.

JasonRox said:
Yeah, that's good. You can get a BLT Bagel with an egg for only $3 CDN at our school.

Yeah I'm cheap so I make my own...haha

I used to forego breakfast. I still would except, with Diabetes, I can't afford to. So now I do.

I eat breakfast whenever I'm up early enough to eat it. Which means I never eat breakfast.

Pass the AK-47 please.

I always eat breakfast, but I never eat lunch. I never really wake up until I eat something.

Likes gracy
I generally only eat when I am hungry. I am never hungry when I wake up, and if I wake up very late, not until 2 or 3 hours afterwards.

I think most of the research that goes into showing that eating a breakfast is good for you is funded by cereal companies. Eh? They all mysteriously say that cereal is the best thing you can eat for breakfast too...

I try to eat every morning, usually a bowl of cereal or a bagel or omlette or something. That and a cup of coffee or two. I have 3 classes in a row during the morning (8 - 11) and if I don't eat my stomach will start to growl during class! It's pretty embarassing, especially during a test when it's very quiet.

Evo said:
Ok, no one cares. I apparently suffer from what is thought to be a "rare" allergy to bananas, but which seems to actually be quite common, except doctors haven't figured out how common it is.
Evo, I am sorry that you are allergic to bananas. Does that include cooked bananas? That would mean Bananas Foster is out? :frown:

I think food allergies are quite common, perhpas 20% of the population give or take. But specific allergies are variable in distribution and severity.

The third link provided by Evo has an important link - Food allergy. We we entertain, especially other children, we ask if anyone has a food allergy or sensitivity.

Likes gracy
Evo said:
Ok, no one cares. I apparently suffer from what is thought to be a "rare" allergy to bananas, but which seems to actually be quite common, except doctors haven't figured out how common it is.

http://www.jiaci.org/issues/vol15issue03/12.pdf#search="banana allergy abdominal pain"

http://frippy.com/frippy/?p=205

http://studenthealth.oregonstate.edu/answerspot/message.php?message=8706 [Broken]
Does this include Plantains (the sweet little cousin of the banana)? Fried plantains are soooo good! :approve:

Evo said:

I'd happily trade your allergy to bananas with my non-allergy. I can't stand the things. When I turn down bananas on taste grounds I get to hear how great they actually are. If I was allergic it would shut people up when I don't want one. Actually, I guess they'd probably start asking questions about the allergy.

I do enjoy coffee in the morning, but if I don't eat something before or during, my coffee it doesn't go down well. Actually if I don't eat something in the morning my empty stomach starts to complain pretty quick and I feel a little ill. My standard is whole wheat toast with real peanut butter (not that icky Kraft stuff), a glass of chocolate skim milk, and a couple bowls of dry cereal and maybe a bowl of oatmeal. If I have melon on hand, that's nice too especially in the summer. If I'm going to be active shortly after eating it's usually a pile of pancakes. Big fry-ups won't happen before 10am, I do love scrambled eggs, taters, and bacon, but not first thing in the morning.

shmoe said:
I'd happily trade your allergy to bananas with my non-allergy. I can't stand the things. When I turn down bananas on taste grounds I get to hear how great they actually are. If I was allergic it would shut people up when I don't want one. Actually, I guess they'd probably start asking questions about the allergy.
I'm sure you wouldn't be the first one who avoids having to deal with people who can't understand why you don't like something that is a common food by just claiming you have an allergy to it.

Mk said:
I think most of the research that goes into showing that eating a breakfast is good for you is funded by cereal companies. Eh? They all mysteriously say that cereal is the best thing you can eat for breakfast too...

Actually, I believe it's researched by health organizations.

There are studies funded by cereal companies that promote eating cereal for breakfast (there are even one or two promoting substituting cereal for other meals to lose weight), but that's not the majority of studies on the subject.

The thing is, there is evidence that when dieting to lose weight, eating breakfast (or, more accurately, dividing your food intake over 3 meals rather than only 2) promotes more rapid weight loss, primarily due to reduced snacking between meals. But, that starts with obese subjects as the baseline, and doesn't really address those who maintain normal weight without dieting.

I question whether the same rules apply to those who don't need to diet to maintain healthy weight. People who are obese already have problems with satiety and snack a lot, or eat even if they aren't hungry. With others, like myself, we just eat when we're hungry, and don't get hungry so often. Most days, I'm not hungry for breakfast. Sometimes, I'm hungry for breakfast, but not lunch or dinner. If I'm not hungry, I don't eat. Some days I'll eat 4 meals, some days 1. My body seems to signal when I need food based on my activity well enough.

I would suspect, though have nothing to support it but a hunch, that you might find a difference in obesity problems among those who are just too rushed in the morning to stop for breakfast despite being hungry, thus being more prone to picking up unhealthy snacks during the morning before lunch, or to overeating at lunchtime, versus those who are just not hungry in the morning and eat their first meal when they get hungry. It might even relate to the flexibility one has for taking a lunch break at work. For me, some days I'll be at the cafeteria as soon as it opens at 11 AM if I get hungry earlier (and there have been days when I've been at the farm and break out a sandwich by 10:30 because I'm already hungry...is that a late breakfast or early lunch?), and sometimes I don't get hungry until 1 or 2 PM. With the occassional exception, I usually have the choice of when to eat lunch. Many people don't have that choice, they just have their mandated lunch break from 12 to 1, and if they are starving by 10:30, too bad, and if they aren't hungry yet at noon, again too bad. That means that some days they'll be so hungry by the time noon rolls around that they will completely overeat, and possibly other days, they'll be forcing themselves to eat food when they really don't need it because they know the next meal won't come before 5 PM and that's too long to wait.

Im not a breakfast person. My day starts at lunch time :biggrin:

Hmm, you guys do have tasty breakfasts!. When i was younger i used to wake up real early, like 7 AM, then my mom will do me something tasty like pancakes with honey, butter and sometimes cream cheese & jam :!) ... Also i remember eating omelettes with toast, or scramble eggs :approve: ... damn i am hungry now.

Anyway, since i started college in 2003, i haven't had a proper breakfast. These days what i mostly consider breakfast is a simple sandwich with milk or orange juice :frown: . Ah, and i forgot, this is what i have when i do have breakfast, which is sometimes.

Moonbear said:
There are studies funded by cereal companies that promote eating cereal for breakfast (there are even one or two promoting substituting cereal for other meals to lose weight), but that's not the majority of studies on the subject.

The thing is, there is evidence that when dieting to lose weight, eating breakfast (or, more accurately, dividing your food intake over 3 meals rather than only 2) promotes more rapid weight loss, primarily due to reduced snacking between meals. But, that starts with obese subjects as the baseline, and doesn't really address those who maintain normal weight without dieting.

I question whether the same rules apply to those who don't need to diet to maintain healthy weight. People who are obese already have problems with satiety and snack a lot, or eat even if they aren't hungry. With others, like myself, we just eat when we're hungry, and don't get hungry so often. Most days, I'm not hungry for breakfast. Sometimes, I'm hungry for breakfast, but not lunch or dinner. If I'm not hungry, I don't eat. Some days I'll eat 4 meals, some days 1. My body seems to signal when I need food based on my activity well enough.

I would suspect, though have nothing to support it but a hunch, that you might find a difference in obesity problems among those who are just too rushed in the morning to stop for breakfast despite being hungry, thus being more prone to picking up unhealthy snacks during the morning before lunch, or to overeating at lunchtime, versus those who are just not hungry in the morning and eat their first meal when they get hungry. It might even relate to the flexibility one has for taking a lunch break at work. For me, some days I'll be at the cafeteria as soon as it opens at 11 AM if I get hungry earlier (and there have been days when I've been at the farm and break out a sandwich by 10:30 because I'm already hungry...is that a late breakfast or early lunch?), and sometimes I don't get hungry until 1 or 2 PM. With the occassional exception, I usually have the choice of when to eat lunch. Many people don't have that choice, they just have their mandated lunch break from 12 to 1, and if they are starving by 10:30, too bad, and if they aren't hungry yet at noon, again too bad. That means that some days they'll be so hungry by the time noon rolls around that they will completely overeat, and possibly other days, they'll be forcing themselves to eat food when they really don't need it because they know the next meal won't come before 5 PM and that's too long to wait.

It seems to be working for you and that's what counts. Others seem to get hungry often. I think it gets easily triggered by just being around food.

I eat quite often throughout the day and it might actually be more than overweight people. All healthy food though. It's slowly adjusting to one with lower sodium, which seems to be quite a challenge because instead of having pre-cooked chicken, I have to cook it myself. I don't mind though because I'll cook like 3 days worth and it tastes so much better. I keep my saturated fats at a good level too, except for weekends. :biggrin: I plan on doing better at that though. Chocolate, Ice Cream and especially pizza just kills me. I use to eat pizza everyday, and I mean half a pan! Oh boy, I love it. Maybe I'll have some tomorrow.

A Better Breakfast Can Boost a Child's Brainpower
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5738848

Morning Edition, August 31, 2006 · Attention, children: Do not skip breakfast -- or your grades could pay a price.

Evidence suggests that eating breakfast really does help kids learn. After fasting all night, a developing body (and brain) needs a fresh supply of glucose -- or blood sugar. That's the brain's basic fuel.

"Without glucose," explains Terrill Bravender, professor of pediatrics at Duke University, "our brain simply doesn't operate as well. People have difficulty understanding new information, [they have a] problem with visual and spatial understanding, and they don't remember things as well."

Dozens of studies from as far back as the 1950s have consistently shown that children who eat breakfast perform better academically than those who don't. In a recent study of 4,000 elementary school students, researchers gave half the kids breakfast and directed the other half to skip it. Then, says study director and Harvard psychologist Michael Murphy, the children took a battery of attention tests. To measure short-term memory, researchers read a series of digits out loud -- 5, 4, 2, and so on -- and asked the children to repeat them. The children were scored on how many digits they could remember correctly. To test verbal fluency, the kids were asked to name all the animals they could think of in 60 seconds. Across the board, Murphy says, the breakfast eaters performed better.

With the preponderance of evidence suggesting that breakfast is key, the next question becomes: Does it matter what kind of breakfast kids eat?

The answer is: Yes.

Bravender, for example, says he'd never serve his children heavily sweetened cereals. "Any sugared cereal really has a high glycemic index."

The glycemic index is a measure of how quickly the carbohydrates in food are absorbed into our bodies and converted to fuel. When it comes to sustained brain power, Bravender explains, food that is low on the scale -- such as whole grains -- are preferable. Even though a bowl of sugary cereal and a bowl of old-fashioned oatmeal may have the same number of carbohydrates, they have very different glycemic loads.

Sugary cereals get into your body quickly and cause a peak in blood-sugar levels, but the levels then fall dramatically after two hours or so. Oatmeal, on the other hand, is absorbed slowly, so oatmeal eaters gets a slow rise in blood sugar and enough energy to last through the morning.

What's more, oatmeal eaters don't experience a steep drop in blood-sugar levels, and that's a good thing. A dip in blood sugar can bring with it a release of hormones that affect mood. In some children, the hormones seem to affect concentration and memory.

. . . .
So pediatricians say breakfast is important.

Yeah, I was forced to eat breakfast as a kid. At least there was enough time between breakfast and my first class for the nausea to go away. I had more trouble in my after-lunch classes when I just wanted to nap. I functioned better in college when I discovered I could schedule my classes to include time for an afternoon nap. If I get up early, I need an afternoon nap. If I just sleep until my body wakes up on its own, I function much better. I think I was born in the wrong time zone.

I usually don't eat breakfast before going to school. However, I've been noticing that I haven't been thinking straight in my math and physics classes recently on days when I haven't gotten much sleep or any breakfast. So I've been gradually eating more. :biggrin:

Having been condemned to a college life (almost over, four more months...) I've had the same thing for breakfast for as long as my memory goes back - cereal (any non-sweetened) and a large volume of coffee, with bananas.

If I don't eat breakfast I get so hungry after 2 hours or so that I feel like throwing up and get stomach cramps. Without a solid breakfast and a solid lunch I don't survive through a 8 hour study day.

I didnt used to get it though. Back when I was in high school and had the body composition of a sea cow I never ate breakfast and never really got hungry either I just ate when I craved something not because of hunger. Its only after I started working out and forced myself to eat regulary and eat breakfast that I started to get hungry in the morning.

I usualy eat a big bowl of oatmeal, lots of seeds, a banana or apple and a big whey shake, but it usualy doesn't keep me full long enough so I am going to switch to egg, bacon and some lean sausage:tongue2: now that semester starts. Fat and protein baby :approve: Carbs are useless to my body in the morning.

If I oversleep or in a hurry I cram down a shake with whey and some flax oil and chew down 2 mouthfulls of mixed seeds(most often sesame, flax and psyllium) and pray that I survive to lunch.

Azael said:
If I don't eat breakfast I get so hungry after 2 hours or so that I feel like throwing up and get stomach cramps. Without a solid breakfast and a solid lunch I don't survive through a 8 hour study day.

I didnt used to get it though. Back when I was in high school and had the body composition of a sea cow I never ate breakfast and never really got hungry either I just ate when I craved something not because of hunger. Its only after I started working out and forced myself to eat regulary and eat breakfast that I started to get hungry in the morning.

I usualy eat a big bowl of oatmeal, lots of seeds, a banana or apple and a big whey shake, but it usualy doesn't keep me full long enough so I am going to switch to egg, bacon and some lean sausage:tongue2: now that semester starts. Fat and protein baby :approve: Carbs are useless to my body in the morning.

If I oversleep or in a hurry I cram down a shake with whey and some flax oil and chew down 2 mouthfulls of mixed seeds(most often sesame, flax and psyllium) and pray that I survive to lunch.

Sounds like the same thing that happened to me. It seemed to have begun when I started working out. I seriously can not go on without breakfast.

I eat a good amount of calories everyday. I eat lots all day, but my calorie count is about where it's suppose to be. I guess healthier choices allow you to eat even more!