Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do you eat breakfast?

1. Yes.

24 vote(s)
    40.7%
  2. Sometimes.

22 vote(s)
    37.3%
  3. No.

13 vote(s)
    22.0%
  1. Sep 1, 2006 #1

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm asking this question because I realized that a lot of people don't.

Out of about 10 I asked so far, 6 have said no, 2 sometimes, and 2 said yes. None of the 4 that eat breakfast or eat it sometimes is overweight. Out of the 6 that do not eat breakfast, atleast 4 are considered overweight or are on their to being overweight (fat is starting to pile on).

I'm thinking about doing a survey at school, and determining how many people eat breakfast and other related questions.

It blows my mind to see people not eat breakfast. Because to me, that's like throwing your metabolism in the air and pulling out an AK-47 and shooting it to death. It's probably the dumbest decision you can make in regards to your own diet.

So, do you eat breakfast and what do you eat?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2006 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Problem is I am not a morning person, so breakfast for me is usually lunch for others.

I really do like breakfast/brunch foods though.

Eggs, grits, sausage, ham, salsa, hot sauce. MMMMMMMMMM. :approve: Just don't ask me to eat before 10am at the earliest.

4. Sep 1, 2006 #3

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Wow, I would have never of guessed.

Sleeping in for me is sleeping until 9. I can't sleep past 8:30 for some reason even when I go out until 1-2am.

5. Sep 1, 2006 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Does coffee count? Some days I eat a cereal bar if I know I won't have time to get lunch, or if I get to sleep in on the weekend, I'll make something for breakfast when I get up, but usually, I'm just not awake enough in the morning to stomach breakfast. I need the coffee to start kicking in before I can handle meals, so usually I just wait until lunch time. Then again, I don't eat dinner very early either, so I probably don't go much longer between dinner and lunch than most people go between dinner and breakfast.

And, for the record, I'm not overweight. I think it would be worse to force myself to eat a meal I'm not really hungry for just because someone else says I should eat at that time.

6. Sep 1, 2006 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I eat a banana usually, or other piece of fruit. And I usually have a latte with non-fat milk.

7. Sep 1, 2006 #6

Evo

If I eat a banana on an empty stomach I get the most excrutiating stomach pains, so bad, that I haven't been able to eat a banana for over 7 years. I'm terrified of them now, and I love how they taste.

I've heard there is a reason for the pain, it's not that uncommon, I just don't know exactly what causes it.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2006
  8. Sep 1, 2006 #7

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I wouldn't force the meal down.

Breakfast is an important meal nevertheless.

http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/1483.html

There's a nice answer to why someone should eat breakfast. Like explained, since you can't stomach food in the morning a light snack is alright, so I guess that's where your coffee comes in.

Something is better than nothing.

9. Sep 1, 2006 #8

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm a breakfast banana eater too. :biggrin:

10. Sep 1, 2006 #9
    I usually eat breakfast, especially during school because there are a lot of times where I don't have time for lunch. I usually have cereal or some fruit mixed with yogurt and granola. Everyonce in a while I treat myself to eggs in a bagel with cheese....yum.

11. Sep 1, 2006 #10

Astronuc

I'll drink coffee first thing, and then may a couple of slices of toast with VEGEMITE and cheese (preferably Swiss or Provalone), or if I get breakfast at work, it's bacon, egg and chees on a roll or biscuit and an everything bagle with chive or jalapeño and cream cheese.

Once in a while, I'll do eggs, grits, sausage or bacon, salsa, hot sauce.

And once in a while blueberry or banana pancakes.

During berry season, I just walk out the back door and get a hand full of fresh blueberries, raspberries, strawberries or blackberries and have them with cereal/granola.

I don't think there's any food that I can't or don't eat.

12. Sep 1, 2006 #11

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah, that's good. You can get a BLT Bagel with an egg for only $3 CDN at our school.

13. Sep 1, 2006 #12

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sounds like a big breakfast everytime.

I pretty much have eggs, chicken bacon, banana, orange and glass of milk everyday. I wake up a little earlier to cook it all. It's so worth it.

I should try those pancakes though. So tasty.

14. Sep 1, 2006 #13

turbo

Gold Member

I eat breakfast every day, often leftovers from earlier meals, but sometimes something whipped up for that particular day. I eat lunch only about 50% of the time, but breakfast is critical.

15. Sep 1, 2006 #14
    Yeah I'm cheap so I make my own...haha

16. Sep 1, 2006 #15

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I used to forego breakfast. I still would except, with Diabetes, I can't afford to. So now I do.

17. Sep 1, 2006 #16
    I eat breakfast whenever I'm up early enough to eat it. Which means I never eat breakfast.

Pass the AK-47 please.

18. Sep 1, 2006 #17

ShawnD

Science Advisor

I always eat breakfast, but I never eat lunch. I never really wake up until I eat something.

19. Sep 1, 2006 #18

Evo

20. Sep 1, 2006 #19

Mk

I generally only eat when I am hungry. I am never hungry when I wake up, and if I wake up very late, not until 2 or 3 hours afterwards.

I think most of the research that goes into showing that eating a breakfast is good for you is funded by cereal companies. Eh? They all mysteriously say that cereal is the best thing you can eat for breakfast too...

21. Sep 1, 2006 #20

eep

I try to eat every morning, usually a bowl of cereal or a bagel or omlette or something. That and a cup of coffee or two. I have 3 classes in a row during the morning (8 - 11) and if I don't eat my stomach will start to growl during class! It's pretty embarassing, especially during a test when it's very quiet.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?