Is Rice Healthy or Harmful for Your Diet?

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
In summary: I could go on and on.In summary, rice is the major food of Asians. Do you eat rice? I love rice, I could eat it every day. but whitepeople seldom eat rice. Not this whiteboy!
i think rice got only carbohydrate, not much vitamin and minerals.
eat too much rice can cause diabetes?

Physics news on Phys.org
I only eat rice which has been grown by a wizened old frenchman, and harvested by 30 cherub lipped virgins all wearing white flowing gowns. I do this about 3-4 times a week. But I prefer good ol' potatoes.

Polly said:
A little deviation here but I suddenly remembered how us Chinese have been parodied in some t.v. shows to pronounce "white rice" as "white lice" and "coca cola" as "whore lock" , it really cracked me up :biggrin: .

:uhh: It's not a parody if it takes place in real life! My aunties do it all the time! So when I go over to their place for a meal, they will ask me: "How many scoops of lice do you want?" :rofl:

:rofl: poor Recon. I have stayed in Singapore for a couple of years (for schooling) so I know what you mean, no problemmm la :biggrin:

What's with the "la" thing, anyway? I've seen a lot of young Asian people (I don't mean to stereotype, of course) ending their sentences with "la" online. Do they actually say it when speaking too? What's the point of it?

- Warren

I have heard that USA produces more rice than China,is that true?

Hi Chroot, "la" is spoken in various Chinese dialects to accentuate emotion but it is used most profusely in Singapore as far as I know, examples of this suffix are "so xian la" (sooooooo tired) and "go library la" (why don't we go to the library?!).

Hi Tumor, I don't know about the rice stuff, where does it all go? :uhh:

Yep, as Polly says, "la" is imported from Chinese dialects. My aunties often tell me to "don't talk-talk much, eat lice la!". This type of language disgusts me, of course, so I try to refrain from using it when speaking English. Interestingly, the Malay language also uses the word "la" the same way the Chinese language does.

i like fragrant rice from thailand, but i heard that some kind of sugar was added to it, no good to our health.