Do you enjoy engineering?

Tell me the things about engineering that keep you excited everyday and things that you dislike about your career.

Thanks.

Answers and Replies

Just finished graduation. Not working full time. Currently interning.

Love doing calculations (currently for hydraulic circuits)
Part which I like most are analyzing failed components and suggesting solutions.

Likes 1 person
I like getting up from my desk and going to the lab to tinker, test, troubleshoot, and blow off steam.

I like playing legos on my computer (solid modeling).

I like doing calculations/making predictions and then going to test those predictions on products so I see the differences between theory and experiment.

I like that I am presented with new/unique problems continuously. It makes the day go by fast. I do not do well with repetitive tasks.

I like cultivating ideas from other STEM majors, browsing technical forums, and continuously taking graduate coursework in engineering/math/physics.

I like that my experience/knowledge/expertise is transferable. I am not learning a unique business process that is only applicable at said business.

I don't like filing a 20 page report to process a change order that requires 20 signatures from people that do not have technical expertise to justify why the length of my 10-32 bolt increases from 1/2" to 5/8".

Engineering is F-ing awesome. Just do it.

Likes 1 person