What Are the Pros and Cons of a Career in Engineering?

• Thread starter strategos1618
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, the speaker loves the problem-solving aspect of engineering and enjoys analyzing failed components and coming up with solutions. They also enjoy hands-on work in the lab and using solid modeling software. They appreciate the constantly changing nature of their work and the transferability of their skills. However, they dislike repetitive tasks and the bureaucratic process of filing reports for minor changes. Overall, they find engineering to be an exciting and fulfilling career.
strategos1618
Tell me the things about engineering that keep you excited everyday and things that you dislike about your career.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Just finished graduation. Not working full time. Currently interning.

Love doing calculations (currently for hydraulic circuits)
Part which I like most are analyzing failed components and suggesting solutions.

Likes 1 person
I like getting up from my desk and going to the lab to tinker, test, troubleshoot, and blow off steam.

I like playing legos on my computer (solid modeling).

I like doing calculations/making predictions and then going to test those predictions on products so I see the differences between theory and experiment.

I like that I am presented with new/unique problems continuously. It makes the day go by fast. I do not do well with repetitive tasks.

I like cultivating ideas from other STEM majors, browsing technical forums, and continuously taking graduate coursework in engineering/math/physics.

I like that my experience/knowledge/expertise is transferable. I am not learning a unique business process that is only applicable at said business.

I don't like filing a 20 page report to process a change order that requires 20 signatures from people that do not have technical expertise to justify why the length of my 10-32 bolt increases from 1/2" to 5/8".

Engineering is F-ing awesome. Just do it.

Likes 1 person

What is engineering?

Engineering is the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design, build, and maintain structures, devices, and systems.

What are some common fields of engineering?

Some common fields of engineering include mechanical, electrical, civil, chemical, and computer engineering.

What skills are needed to be a successful engineer?

Successful engineers possess strong analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, creativity, and the ability to work in a team.

What are the career opportunities for an engineer?

Engineers have a wide range of career opportunities in various industries such as aerospace, automotive, construction, electronics, and energy.

Is engineering a rewarding career?

Yes, engineering can be a very rewarding career as it offers opportunities to solve complex problems, make a positive impact on society, and have a competitive salary and job stability.