Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do You Even Physics bro.

1. Apr 26, 2017 #1
    DYEL is a huge put down in my area, ie do you even lift bro. If a guy says it to you its like spitting on your life.

Its meme status and guys use it to gain superiority.....in their own minds.

Looking for cool graphics so I can provide a counter T shirt with a DYEP bro, as per title.

This is admittedly just IRL trolling but also flying the flag for downtrodden nerdy kids in my area. They need all the help they can get.

Any ideas for graphics.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2017 #2
    δϒΣπ or δϒΣρ, perhaps, i.e. using Greek letters?

4. Apr 26, 2017 #3
    Found a fun image when I searched for "do you even physics bro" on Google images:

10249241_605088012920423_240580549_n.jpg

5. Apr 26, 2017 #4
    I think the Greek while awesome may go straight over the heads of the target audience.

6. Apr 26, 2017 #5

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You mean "weights?"

7. Apr 26, 2017 #6

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor

Am I doing this right? I might not be doing it right.
    Untitled drawing.png
    And if they respond in the affirmative, give them a sharpie and ask to draw a free body diagram (you might need to order more t-shirts. I know a guy :wink:)

8. Apr 26, 2017 #7
    Layne Norton is one brainy guy that lifts really heavy objects.

Layne would laugh, hopefully , knowing he got referenced on a physics forum.

Chemistry would be different, the knowledge a lot of lifters have about chemistry would embarrass the average chemistry graduate.

9. Apr 27, 2017 #8
    What's the put down - working out in a gym? which who gives a poop.
    Or a reference to not being able to pull their own weight.

10. Apr 27, 2017 #9
    Don't read too much into it, its a pop male culture thing to show how alpha you are. If a guy can't even do basic lifts these guys view them as degenerate.

To be taken with a grain of salt.

11. Apr 27, 2017 #10
    "its a pop male culture thing to show how alpha you are."

I know a pack of wolves has something called the alpha wolf. How does that translate for people?

12. Apr 27, 2017 #11
    Clearly the the lifting culture is not familiar to you, lot of young guys trying to prove their genetic superiority and dominance over other males thru weightlifting. Its a thing.

Google "zyzz" if you want a cultural awakening. He bought lifting to the mainstream for the current generation.

The good side is he made weights relevant to young men who have lost any sense of traditional male masculinity.

The bad side is he was he was entrenched in hedonism/drugs.

Also was smartest & skinniest kid in his school, classical story of skinny smart guy gets sand kicked in his face by muscle guy and then becomes bigger muscle guy.

Zyzz is dead now.

13. Apr 27, 2017 #12
    Well, I am an "alpha feline" in my mind, that's not how it works in the real world, is it? :D
    Yes, drugs are bad, I know that.

I know many body builders and weight lifters, none of them are on about "alpha talk". It's sport and they're dedicated enough to yield results. That is noteworthy.

14. Apr 27, 2017 #13
    The self discipline to achieve set goals thru hard work over a long period of time is certainly noteworthy.

15. Apr 27, 2017 #14
    The "Do You Even Lift, Bro?" phrase is rather tongue-in-cheek whenever I've heard it used in person. Its basically just banter.

Is intellectual prowess being presented as an alternative to physical prowess? I'd suggest striving for both.

It reminds me of the phrase "Work smarter, not harder". I never understood that mentality. Why do we not encourage each other to work smarter AND harder?

16. Apr 27, 2017 #15

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Because there's more to life than work?

17. Apr 27, 2017 #16
    The ceiling for time and energy expenditure are lower in most cases than the ceiling for improved technique to yield better results from a given amount of time and energy.

Most college students are nowhere near their upper limits in time and energy expenditure, but some are. Once TV and other screen time wasters are down near zero, most students simply need to make better use of their time. One thing I often teach students about working smarter is that study time is much more productive if the pencil is moving (or other active engagement) rather than passive engagement (eyes and ears are the only thing employed).

Likewise, as a practical matter of a balanced life, the amount of time and effort pursuing fitness goals has a ceiling. When I was a student, that ceiling was fixed by all the time I spent studying. Since turning 40, that ceiling is enforced by joint pain and other potential for injury. My doc and biomechanics expert both tell me to stop when things hurt. Fitness before 40 was about finding enough time. Fitness after 40 has the added constraints of finding sufficient cardio for my fitness goals without too much pain or injury to my joints.

Working "smarter" is finding a way to meet the goals given the constraints.

18. Apr 27, 2017 #17
    Before developing some (minor) elbow and shoulder issues, I spent enough time in weight rooms to see the silly alpha male thing (no pain - no gain, etc.)

I've moved on to a more biomechanically sound (given my joint issues) free weight regimen simple enough to do at home with the bulk of my fitness program consisting of mountain biking (40-60 miles a week), tennis (1-2 hours per week), and kayaking (seasonal). Yes, I've taken heat from younger guys (and older ones) for not going to the weight room any more and for giving up beloved sports (basketball, singles tennis, Ultimate frisbee) that were too hard on my body.

But my goal is to be fit by the guidelines set by the best available medical info, to be pleasing to my wife (not too heavy), and to be healthy enough to enjoy my grandchildren when the time comes. I've seen the "weight room" mentality play out for enough men in their 50s and 60s that I am not interested.

19. Apr 27, 2017 #18
    That's why I suggest working smarter as well as harder. You get your work done more quickly. More spare time to go lift, bro XD.

20. Apr 27, 2017 #19
    Good point, and exercise is good for the body. I personally need to exercise more, so I intend to do that, for health reasons. Maybe I will ask myself "Do you even exercise, bro?" :smile:

21. Apr 27, 2017 #20

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

That turned out to be incorrect, see http://www.davemech.org/news.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted