DYEL Bro? Don't Let Them Bring You Down

In summary, the phrase, "Do You Even Lift, Bro?" is used as banter by people in the lifting community. It's a way of showing superiority to other males. It's a pop male culture thing that is a way of showing how alpha you are. It's a way of referencing not being able to pull their own weight. This phrase has been in the lifting community for a while and it's not associated with Zyzz. The phrase is not associated with drugs and bodybuilders. Most college students are nowhere near their upper limits in time and energy expenditure, but some are. Once TV and other screen time wasters are down near zero, most students simply need to
houlahound
DYEL is a huge put down in my area, ie do you even lift bro. If a guy says it to you its like spitting on your life.

Its meme status and guys use it to gain superiority...in their own minds.

Looking for cool graphics so I can provide a counter T shirt with a DYEP bro, as per title.

This is admittedly just IRL trolling but also flying the flag for downtrodden nerdy kids in my area. They need all the help they can get.

Any ideas for graphics.

Likes Dr. Courtney
Physics news on Phys.org
δϒΣπ or δϒΣρ, perhaps, i.e. using Greek letters?

Likes Dr. Courtney and houlahound
Found a fun image when I searched for "do you even physics bro" on Google images:

10249241_605088012920423_240580549_n.jpg

Likes Dr. Courtney, RogueOne, nuuskur and 2 others
I think the Greek while awesome may go straight over the heads of the target audience.

Likes Dr. Courtney
You mean "weights?"

Am I doing this right? I might not be doing it right.
Untitled drawing.png
And if they respond in the affirmative, give them a sharpie and ask to draw a free body diagram (you might need to order more t-shirts. I know a guy :wink:)

Likes Dr. Courtney, RogueOne, nuuskur and 2 others
Layne Norton is one brainy guy that lifts really heavy objects.

Layne would laugh, hopefully , knowing he got referenced on a physics forum.

Chemistry would be different, the knowledge a lot of lifters have about chemistry would embarrass the average chemistry graduate.

houlahound said:
DYEL is a huge put down in my area, ie do you even lift bro. If a guy says it to you its like spitting on your life.
What's the put down - working out in a gym? which who gives a poop.
Or a reference to not being able to pull their own weight.

Don't read too much into it, its a pop male culture thing to show how alpha you are. If a guy can't even do basic lifts these guys view them as degenerate.

To be taken with a grain of salt.

Likes PhDeezNutz
"its a pop male culture thing to show how alpha you are."

I know a pack of wolves has something called the alpha wolf. How does that translate for people?

Likes Dr. Courtney
Clearly the the lifting culture is not familiar to you, lot of young guys trying to prove their genetic superiority and dominance over other males thru weightlifting. Its a thing.

Google "zyzz" if you want a cultural awakening. He bought lifting to the mainstream for the current generation.

The good side is he made weights relevant to young men who have lost any sense of traditional male masculinity.

The bad side is he was he was entrenched in hedonism/drugs.

Also was smartest & skinniest kid in his school, classical story of skinny smart guy gets sand kicked in his face by muscle guy and then becomes bigger muscle guy.

Zyzz is dead now.

Likes Dr. Courtney
Well, I am an "alpha feline" in my mind, that's not how it works in the real world, is it? :D
Yes, drugs are bad, I know that.

I know many body builders and weight lifters, none of them are on about "alpha talk". It's sport and they're dedicated enough to yield results. That is noteworthy.

The self discipline to achieve set goals thru hard work over a long period of time is certainly noteworthy.

Likes PhDeezNutz and Dr. Courtney
The "Do You Even Lift, Bro?" phrase is rather tongue-in-cheek whenever I've heard it used in person. Its basically just banter.

Is intellectual prowess being presented as an alternative to physical prowess? I'd suggest striving for both.

It reminds me of the phrase "Work smarter, not harder". I never understood that mentality. Why do we not encourage each other to work smarter AND harder?

Likes Dr. Courtney
RogueOne said:
It reminds me of the phrase "Work smarter, not harder". I never understood that mentality. Why do we not encourage each other to work smarter AND harder?

Because there's more to life than work?

Likes dextercioby
RogueOne said:

The ceiling for time and energy expenditure are lower in most cases than the ceiling for improved technique to yield better results from a given amount of time and energy.

Most college students are nowhere near their upper limits in time and energy expenditure, but some are. Once TV and other screen time wasters are down near zero, most students simply need to make better use of their time. One thing I often teach students about working smarter is that study time is much more productive if the pencil is moving (or other active engagement) rather than passive engagement (eyes and ears are the only thing employed).

Likewise, as a practical matter of a balanced life, the amount of time and effort pursuing fitness goals has a ceiling. When I was a student, that ceiling was fixed by all the time I spent studying. Since turning 40, that ceiling is enforced by joint pain and other potential for injury. My doc and biomechanics expert both tell me to stop when things hurt. Fitness before 40 was about finding enough time. Fitness after 40 has the added constraints of finding sufficient cardio for my fitness goals without too much pain or injury to my joints.

Working "smarter" is finding a way to meet the goals given the constraints.

Likes PhDeezNutz
houlahound said:
Don't read too much into it, its a pop male culture thing to show how alpha you are. If a guy can't even do basic lifts these guys view them as degenerate.

To be taken with a grain of salt.

Before developing some (minor) elbow and shoulder issues, I spent enough time in weight rooms to see the silly alpha male thing (no pain - no gain, etc.)

I've moved on to a more biomechanically sound (given my joint issues) free weight regimen simple enough to do at home with the bulk of my fitness program consisting of mountain biking (40-60 miles a week), tennis (1-2 hours per week), and kayaking (seasonal). Yes, I've taken heat from younger guys (and older ones) for not going to the weight room any more and for giving up beloved sports (basketball, singles tennis, Ultimate frisbee) that were too hard on my body.

But my goal is to be fit by the guidelines set by the best available medical info, to be pleasing to my wife (not too heavy), and to be healthy enough to enjoy my grandchildren when the time comes. I've seen the "weight room" mentality play out for enough men in their 50s and 60s that I am not interested.

Likes dextercioby and RogueOne
PeroK said:
Because there's more to life than work?

That's why I suggest working smarter as well as harder. You get your work done more quickly. More spare time to go lift, bro XD.

Likes houlahound
Dr. Courtney said:
But my goal is to be fit by the guidelines set by the best available medical info,
Good point, and exercise is good for the body. I personally need to exercise more, so I intend to do that, for health reasons. Maybe I will ask myself "Do you even exercise, bro?" :smile:

Likes Dr. Courtney
nuuskur said:
I know a pack of wolves has something called the alpha wolf. How does that translate for people?
That turned out to be incorrect, see http://www.davemech.org/news.html

Likes nuuskur
houlahound said:
Chemistry would be different, the knowledge a lot of lifters have about chemistry would embarrass the average chemistry graduate.

That is true. But they do know a lot about certain "compounds" and how to administer them.

houlahound said:
The self discipline to achieve set goals thru hard work over a long period of time is certainly noteworthy.

Great post.

I'd like to add that lifting weights is a lot like physics in the sense that you have to do it for awhile before you know what you're doing. You can watch all sorts of YouTube videos on how to perform squats correctly but there are nuances that can only be discovered by doing it. And you can only communicate effectively with other knowledgeable people when you yourself have experience because certain things cannot be explained in a way that makes sense to the lay person.

I'm not saying lifting weights is as nuanced, detailed, subtle, and counter-intuitive as physics but it's not as trivial as one might think. And the way you get good as it by doing it instead of pondering about it.

Likes houlahound and RogueOne
Here's a different take on a couple good, previous ideas [@Bandersnatch] in this thread:

Do You Even
[itex] L = \frac{1}{2}C_{\ell} A \rho v^2[/itex]
Bro?

Of course you'll have to know a few things about the equation if/when questioned:
  • [itex] L [/itex]: Lift (in units of force)
  • [itex] C_{\ell} [/itex]: Lift coefficient, usually determined experimentally for a specific angle of attack
  • [itex] A [/itex]: Wing area
  • [itex] \rho [/itex]: Density of air
  • [itex] v [/itex]: Velocity (true airspeed)
https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/airplane/lifteq.html

Likes houlahound
Actually the more I think of "DYEP bro" the funnier it gets.

It almost fell out of my mouth at someone today who astounded me with there stupidity.

houlahound said:
Actually the more I think of "DYEP bro" the funnier it gets.

It almost fell out of my mouth at someone today who astounded me with there stupidity.

Do you mean "their stupidity"?

Likes RogueOne
Are you salty OP? Do you even lift? Zyzz is GOAT

denial/10

Ayyyyyy

I think I've spent way too much time lurking on the bodybuilding forums...

Likes houlahound
Ha, someone on PF who has seen the great misc.

beta ph***hitt.

you mad brah.

Likes Mmm_Pasta
Do they encourage speaking in broken English?

Lifting's a sport for them to engage in. Beats doing drugs and getting hammered in a ditch. Live and let live, I suppose.

Last edited:
nuuskur said:
Do they encourage speaking in broken English

negged.

You may be surprised to find out that not all body builders are intellectually weak

RogueOne said:
You may be surprised to find out that not all body builders are intellectually weak
Certainly not implying they're stupid or what not. Just wasn't sure whether this lingo is common or you are just joking around.

I'd imagine that their slang is part of the pretense required to fit into the trends and norms within that particular counterculture.

nuuskur said:
Do they encourage speaking in broken English?

Lifting's a sport for them to engage in. Beats doing drugs and getting hammered in a ditch. Live and let live, I suppose.

It's more of a tongue-in-cheek type of slang in a certain portion (Misc.) of a certain forum (bodybuilding forums). A lot of the members there are actually intelligent. They pay heavy attention to nutrition and discuss what research literature has to say. It's just like here at PF where there are many subforums for certain topics. On the Misc. broken English is the thing and sometimes it is difficult to know who is serious and who is joking around. There have been bad cases in the past where the member is serious, but due to the nature of the forum it wasn't taken seriously. You kind of have to been there for many years to see how it has evolved.

Likes nuuskur
Now there is a new misc of extreme miscers, they called old misc beta misc.

The slang and extreme views on numisc is off the charts. Its a bit like 4chan for BB'ers. They do raids on old misc, so a lot of the weird stuff on misc is numisc guys raiding and trolling.

The slang also helps finding out where you are in the chain of illegal sources of AAS supply.

The dumb talk is actually clever concealment.

Expect to get bullied more than you already are if you start wearing this shirt.

1. What does DYEL Bro mean?

DYEL Bro stands for "Don't Let Them Bring You Down". It is a phrase often used in the fitness and bodybuilding community to encourage individuals to stay motivated and not let negative comments or criticism affect their progress.

2. Is DYEL Bro a popular saying?

Yes, DYEL Bro is a popular saying among fitness enthusiasts and has gained widespread use on social media platforms.

3. What is the origin of DYEL Bro?

The exact origin of DYEL Bro is unknown, but it is believed to have originated from the bodybuilding and weightlifting community in the early 2000s.

4. How is DYEL Bro used in the fitness world?

DYEL Bro is often used as a motivational phrase to encourage individuals to stay focused on their fitness goals and not let negative comments or setbacks discourage them.

5. Can DYEL Bro be applied to other areas of life?

Yes, the phrase can be applied to other areas of life as well. It can be used as a reminder to not let others bring you down and to stay determined and resilient in the face of challenges.

Back