What Goes Through Your Mind in the Face of Death?

• Thread starter kant
  • Start date
In summary, Evo is thinking about his loved ones and how he will never see them again. He is also thinking about the future and what he would do if he did die in the next few minutes.
kant
If someone where to be in a hyperthetical situation that he/she knows he/she would die in the next 2 minutes. What would he/she think about?
Would he/she think about his/her parents, girlfriend, or himself/herself? Would they be so fearful that they stop thinking at all. Would they find comfort in perhaps a personal god?

Physics news on Phys.org
live life as one always have...
When its time to die.. its time to die..

if it was because of some outside object like a missile of meteor i would just look out the window.

thats a one in a life time experience... :P

And i would proberly drink my applejuice and really enjoy it.
while singing a song in my head.. or whistle one.

I'd sit around playing computer games like I always do.

kant said:
If someone where to be in a hyperthetical situation that he/she knows he/she would die in the next 2 minutes. What would he/she think about?
Would he/she think about his/her parents, girlfriend, or himself/herself? Would they be so fearful that they stop thinking at all. Would they find comfort in perhaps a personal god?

I have been in a situation where I did expect to die shortly. I spent the time thinking of my family. To be exact I was thinking about how sad it was that I would nerver see them again. My 24 year old buddy was criyng and saying momma momma. Another guy was praying and yet another one was cursing. It is an individual thing I guess.

edward said:
I have been in a situation where I did expect to die shortly. I spent the time thinking of my family. To be exact I was thinking about how sad it was that I would nerver see them again. My 24 year old buddy was criyng and saying momma momma. Another guy was praying and yet another one was cursing. It is an individual thing I guess.

well, that is some thing you don't forget.

When I fell down the stairs upside down and head first, knowing I was going to land on my head and most likely snap my neck (my coworker died that way just 3 months earlier), I realized I may only have a second to live.

It's amazing how much you can think about in a second, I thought about how sad the girls would be, the bills, that I had no will, I wondered if they would find all my life insurance. I thought about work, I wished the house was cleaner, I wondered who'd take care of the cats.

Evo said:
When I fell down the stairs upside down and head first, knowing I was going to land on my head and most likely snap my neck (my coworker died that way just 3 months earlier), I realized I may only have a second to live.

It's amazing how much you can think about in a second, I thought about how sad the girls would be, the bills, that I had no will, I wondered if they would find all my life insurance. I thought about work, I wished the house was cleaner, I wondered who'd take care of the cats.
:rofl:
Pardon me for making light but I couldn't resist...

Evo's last thoughts...
evos_last_thoughts.jpg

Last edited:
I would be thinking i hope i do not look totally worse dead.

wolram said:
I would be thinking i hope i do not look totally worse dead.

As long as you look cute dead, it's alright.

How can you imagine how you would react unless it happened and you were in that situation? You can speculate about it, but don't really know until it happens.

DaveC426913 said:

Evo's last thoughts...
evos_last_thoughts.jpg
:rofl: :rofl:

kant said:
Well, I just insulted Moonbear's cat, and I'm thinking about buying a new mouse (for my PC of course).

BobG said:
Well, I just insulted Moonbear's cat, and I'm thinking about buying a new mouse (for my PC of course).
Funny, the cat was just thinking about wanting a new mouse too. :biggrin: :rofl:

I've taken a few tumbles where the outcome was uncertain, and all I thought was, "(Expletive omitted)!" It was pure reflexes that got me out of those situations, so I probably wouldn't be thinking about much.

Moonbear said:
Funny, the cat was just thinking about wanting a new mouse too. :biggrin: :rofl:

I've taken a few tumbles where the outcome was uncertain, and all I thought was, "(Expletive omitted)!" It was pure reflexes that got me out of those situations, so I probably wouldn't be thinking about much.
When I was in high school and for a few years after, I used to go rock climbing. When you fall, you're supposed to calmly say, "Falling!" to alert the person belaying you.

Everyone used to make fun of me for saying, "(Expletive omitted)!"

Come to think of it, it would have taken less syllables to just say, "Falling!" :rofl:

DaveC426913 said:

Evo's last thoughts...
evos_last_thoughts.jpg
:biggrin: :rofl:

I was in a very bad car accident, and the only thing I thought of, was my children.

That would be a huge weight off my shoulders. I wouldn't have to save money or worry about a career or having children or any of that. I could go buck wild for two weeks.

Pythagorean said:
That would be a huge weight off my shoulders. I wouldn't have to save money or worry about a career or having children or any of that. I could go buck wild for two weeks.

Hahahha that's the same attitude i have!, yes. Party 24/7, cause i am not going to live much longer :bugeye: :tongue2:

I would probably just sit and pray that some form of adrenaline rush could keep me alive until someone could help? lol

But on a serious note, yer, one can only speculate, as when your in a real-time situation like that, you don't know, and I've only ever had 1 near-death experience, and that resulted in being just a panic attack :yuck:

1. What does it mean to fear death?

Fear of death is a common human emotion characterized by feelings of anxiety, dread, and uncertainty about the end of one's life. It can manifest in various ways, such as fear of the unknown, fear of pain or suffering, or fear of losing loved ones.

2. Is fear of death a rational fear?

The fear of death is a natural response to our instinctual drive for self-preservation. It can be seen as a rational fear since death is an inevitable part of life and fearing it can help us take precautions to prolong our lives. However, excessive fear of death can also be irrational and may lead to anxiety and other negative emotions.

3. Can fear of death be beneficial?

Yes, fear of death can be beneficial in some ways. It can motivate us to make positive changes in our lives, such as living a healthier lifestyle or spending more time with loved ones. It can also serve as a reminder to make the most out of life and appreciate each moment.

4. What are some common ways to cope with fear of death?

There are various ways to cope with fear of death, including therapy, mindfulness techniques, and seeking support from loved ones. Some people also find comfort in their religious or spiritual beliefs. It is important to find healthy coping mechanisms and to seek help if fear of death is significantly impacting daily life.

5. Can fear of death be overcome?

While it is a natural human emotion, it is possible to overcome fear of death. It may require seeking professional help, practicing mindfulness and relaxation techniques, and reframing thoughts about death. It is also important to remember that death is a natural part of life and to focus on living a fulfilling and meaningful life in the present.