Feeling Lucky? Get Your Mega Millions Ticket Now!

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
In summary, the jackpot for tonight's Mega Millions lottery drawing in the US is at least $1.6 x 109. It might go higher before the drawing. Have you bought a ticket?
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The jackpot for tonight's Mega Millions lottery drawing in the US is at least $1.6 x 109. It might go higher before the drawing. Have you bought a ticket? I might stop on my way to lunch today and do it, for the second or third time in my life.

I know the odds are silly, which is why I don't normally buy lottery tickets, but it's tempting to be part of a "big event."

Physics news on Phys.org
I bought two so that I could cut my odds in half. :oldtongue:

BTW, you should have named the thread "Who wants to be a billionaire?".

Likes davenn, Klystron and BillTre
jtbell said:
I know the odds are silly...
You do, however, get two things with the ticket:

1. A license to fantasize.
2. Insurance against the small but scary prospect of being the only person in your office who shows up for work tomorrow.

Likes davenn, nitsuj, StatGuy2000 and 1 other person
I don't often buy lottery tickets. But when I do, it's to reduce my neighbour's chance of winning.

Likes sbrothy, davenn, dRic2 and 6 others
@jtbell Hmm, initial reports are that somebody in South Carolina won. :wideeyed:

Er... uh... um...

No, it wasn't me. Exactly one number matched, out of my five tickets.

I knew pretty quickly, because the TV station that shows the World Series locally also shows the lottery drawings. At least normally. This time they didn't want to cut into the game, so they scrolled the numbers across the bottom of the screen.

I wonder where the lucky ticket was sold, exactly. Usually reporters are swarming the store by now. :biggrin:

Likes Borg
Zero hits for me on two tickets. Oh well, I have to wait until it builds again. :oldtongue:

jtbell said:
I wonder where the lucky ticket was sold, exactly.
Simpsonville! It's about a half hour drive from here. I've been through there many times. The local TV stations will be all over it tonight.

Hmmm... a number of faculty and staff at the college here live in Simpsonville. I wonder if any of them didn't show up for class or work today.

It would have been nice for it to be somewhere in the lowcountry around Myrtle Beach, Conway and Georgetown, which got hit hard by the hurricane and floods last month.

Last edited:
The early Florida lottery was originally 5 numbers drawn from the same bucket. Since then, they have added more games with larger buckets, and a second bucket for a single ball. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Lottery

When they made the games harder to win, revenue increased, not from cost savings, but more ticket volume, among other things. Try and test that marketing concept with any other product.

I didn't win...I'm so disappointed. :(

ChemAir said:
When they made the games harder to win, revenue increased, not from cost savings, but more ticket volume, among other things. Try and test that marketing concept with any other product.
It does, in fact, work with other products in similar, if not identical cases. While I think it was already widely known, JC Penny proved a few years ago, via spectacular failure, that shoppers prefer higher base prices with sales to lower every day prices at the same price point as the sale.

There are also many products for which price is seen as a sign of quality, causing people to choose the higher priced of two identical products.

People often prefer the illusion to the reality.

ChemAir said:
Another "success" marketing story.
Many years ago I was manufacturing electrical accessories for motorcycles; with something new: a 30 day warranty, thru 'return to place-of-purchase'. We had a few percent returns. Then I tried something counter-intuitive, upped the warranty to 90 days. Returns dropped to almost zero, and the dealers loved it!.

Go figure!

Last edited:
Likes Klystron, nitsuj and russ_watters
Can you pick your own numbers with this lottery?

What really puts the odds into an easy to understand perspective is playing two sets. Sequential, say 1-2-3... and the previous draws winning numbers. Imagine such a silly thing ever happening; those being the winning set...that's as likely as it is for me to win...

Likes Klystron
nitsuj said:
Can you pick your own numbers with this lottery?
Yes. You pick five numbers in the range 1-70 and one number in the range 1-25. You can either pick them yourself by filling in bubbles on an optical-scan card, or you can fill in a single bubble which indicates that you want randomly-generated numbers. The optical-scan card goes into a machine that prints the actual ticket.

I was driving up that way today, so I made a detour to Simpsonville. The store is actually a few miles outside of town, in a rural area that is now being swallowed up by the suburban sprawl from Greenville. New housing developments line the road in both directions.

kcmart.jpg

Attachments

• kcmart.jpg
    kcmart.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 719
  • Wow
Likes davenn, WWGD and dlgoff
Do you feel lucky today?
Well, regarding lottery - when I occasionally buy a ticket it is because it's already a really bad day so if Fortune wants to make up to average, then maybe...

But the only conclusion so far is, that Fortune does not favor average.

Now we know where the ticket was sold do people buy more tickets there because its "lucky" or fewer tickets because the probability of one store selling two or more jackpot tickets is very small?

Likes nitsuj
jtbell said:
I was driving up that way today, so I made a detour to Simpsonville. The store is actually a few miles outside of town, in a rural area that is now being swallowed up by the suburban sprawl from Greenville. New housing developments line the road in both directions.

In Canada I believe the ticket retailers cut is significant for "jackpots". Hopefully it's true for the store owner too...

no offence to "random place" America convenience store; where I'm from has it's own "economic vices"...but omg the advertising is hilarious and very "stereotypical" imo.

The offence is to humans in general when provided "too much" freedom in the pursuit of profit :woot:

Good thing it's common knowledge that children in particular are really good at not being influenced by their environment; and the advertising is helpful for adults unaware that such things are sold at a convenience store.

CWatters said:
Now we know where the ticket was sold do people buy more tickets there because its "lucky" or fewer tickets because the probability of one store selling two or more jackpot tickets is very small?

By probability theory, there is no chance to the probability that the store sells a winning ticket just because it sold a winning ticket in the past. Winning events are independent! However, if that place does sell more tickets it does increase its chances of selling a winning one...So maybe a store which is lucky in the past and attracts more customers will be more likely to be lucky in the future because it attracted more customers?

Likes CWatters
nitsuj said:
In Canada I believe the ticket retailers cut is significant for "jackpots". Hopefully it's true for the store owner too...
IIRC according to news reports the store owner received $50,000. Not too shabby for a few seconds' work!

Still no announcement from the state lottery board that the ticker-holder has claimed his/her winnings. they have 180 days to do it. We'll probably never find out who it is, unless there's a leak. In SC, lottery winners can remain anonymous, and have a representative appear at the public ceremony with the big cardboard check.. With that much money, I'd certainly want to insulate myself with a few layers of lawyers!

Last edited:
This reminds me of jokes that were going around Charlotte when the Loomis Fargo robbery occurred. The jokes were about what the clues to look for to find that unknown rural fellow who had acquired an unaccountable large amount of money. You gave examples of extravagance coupled with poor taste, such as a solid gold pickup truck. Similar humor was used for Jethro of the Beverly Hillbillies.

jtbell said:
Simpsonville! It's about a half hour drive from here. I've been through there many times. The local TV stations will be all over it tonight.

Hmmm... a number of faculty and staff at the college here live in Simpsonville. I wonder if any of them didn't show up for class or work today.

It would have been nice for it to be somewhere in the lowcountry around Myrtle Beach, Conway and Georgetown, which got hit hard by the hurricane and floods last month.
I thought Springfield ( whichever one) was Simpsonville. But then again after reading the title of the post I was expecting to read something like : " Well, do you, punk?".

russ_watters said:
It does, in fact, work with other products in similar, if not identical cases. While I think it was already widely known, JC Penny proved a few years ago, via spectacular failure, that shoppers prefer higher base prices with sales to lower every day prices at the same price point as the sale.

There are also many products for which price is seen as a sign of quality, causing people to choose the higher priced of two identical products.

People often prefer the illusion to the reality.
I have saved plenty buying generics instead of brand names. The ingredients are identical, but, somehow many prefer to pay substantially more for brand names. Go figure.

Likes russ_watters
When I was a child out walking with my mother, we would make a short stop at the local church where mother would offer a small prayer for the well-being of our family and others. Why? "Makes me feel connected with others."

Decades later out walking with my sister, we step into a 7-11 (common convenience store in California) to buy a lottery number. Her reason for buying the lottery ticket was essentially identical to our mother's chapel visits.

Klystron said:
When I was a child out walking with my mother, we would make a short stop at the local church where mother would offer a small prayer for the well-being of our family and others. Why? "Makes me feel connected with others."

Decades later out walking with my sister, we step into a 7-11 (common convenience store in California) to buy a lottery number. Her reason for buying the lottery ticket was essentially identical to our mother's chapel visits.
Me, I just want to become one with the jackpot.

Likes Klystron
Still no word about the $1.5B winner...

I keep hoping that I will win the lottery, but not so much that I actually go out and buy a ticket. I figure my odds of winning are only ever so slightly less than those who have plunked down the money and bought a ticket.

Last edited:
Likes Klystron
The South Carolina state legislature decided to use the $61 million in taxes from the Mega Millions jackpot to send a $50 rebate to every household in the state that paid at least that much in income tax for 2018. Checks are supposed to be sent out by December 2.

https://dor.sc.gov/rebate
So I will recoup the cost of my unsuccessful tickets in that drawing. :oldcool:

Likes davenn
jtbell said:
The South Carolina state legislature decided to use the $61 million in taxes from the Mega Millions jackpot...

It sux that you guys have to pay tax on lottery winnings
Here in Australia and I think, still so, in NZ, you get to keep every $$, tax free :partytime:

jtbell said:
I know the odds are silly, which is why I don't normally buy lottery tickets, but it's tempting to be part of a "big event."
for jackpot, assuming arrangement matters = (1/(nPr))
Save your $1. The lottery guys will scam you, your family, your friends, and your community. You should feel even luckier now that you are aware of the odds, and you don't have to give your $1 to the scam artist that are operating out of gas stations/convenience stores.

jtbell said:
Someone finally claimed the prize!

https://www.megamillions.com/News/2019/Winner-Claims-$1-5-Billion-Mega-Millions-Jackpot-i.aspx

He or she will remain anonymous, and has hired a lawyer from New York
...who has now turned out to be a crook. :mad: This was on the local TV news tonight:

https://www.wyff4.com/article/attor...charged-with-fraud-doj-officials-say/33648479

"The co-conspirators’ largest and most egregious fraud was perpetrated against Lottery Victim 3, the winner of a $1.5 billion lottery, and the client whom Kurland touted most in marketing his practice. Kurland and his firm charged Lottery Victim 3 an initial $200,000 payment, and $50,000 monthly fees thereafter. As with the other Lottery Victims, however, Lottery Victim 3 did not know that Kurland was siphoning off additional money from his/her winnings. Like Lottery Victim 2, Lottery Victim 3 told Kurland that he/she was only interested in conservative investments, and understood that Kurland’s recommendations were in line with that preference. As with the other Lottery Victims, Kurland persuaded Lottery Victim 3 to invest in seemingly independent entities that were, in reality, connected to the defendants. In total, Kurland persuaded Lottery Victim 3 to invest over $60 million in various entities that are tied to the co-conspirators, and Kurland transferred an additional $19.5 million from an account held by Lottery Victim 3 without his/her knowledge, much less authorization. The co-conspirators have lost more than $70 million of Lottery Victim 3’s money."

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes Borg

1. What is the Mega Millions lottery?

The Mega Millions lottery is a multi-state lottery game that is played in 45 states, as well as the District of Columbia and the U.S. Virgin Islands. It is one of the biggest and most popular lottery games in the United States.

2. How do I play Mega Millions?

To play Mega Millions, you need to purchase a ticket from an authorized retailer in one of the participating states. You can choose your own numbers or use the Quick Pick option to have the numbers randomly generated for you. Each ticket costs $2 and you can add the Megaplier option for an additional $1.

3. What are the odds of winning the Mega Millions jackpot?

The odds of winning the Mega Millions jackpot are 1 in 302,575,350. However, there are a total of nine prize categories, so your odds of winning a smaller prize are slightly better.

4. When are the Mega Millions drawings?

Mega Millions drawings are held every Tuesday and Friday at 11:00 PM Eastern Time. The drawings are broadcast live from the WSB-TV studio in Atlanta, Georgia.

5. What happens if I win the Mega Millions jackpot?

If you are lucky enough to win the Mega Millions jackpot, you have the option to receive your winnings in a lump sum or in 30 annual payments. You will also need to consult with a financial advisor and pay taxes on your winnings. It is important to sign the back of your ticket and keep it in a safe place until you can claim your prize.