Do you guys find it easier to sing in the shower?

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
In summary: This is due to the fact that the higher frequencies are attenuated more than the lower frequencies. So, your neighbors will hear you just fine, but they'll be able to hear the lower frequencies more clearly.No but maybe the walls in the bathrooms are reinforced? I can't imagine the disgusting sounds people make doing number two. I am sure it is sound-proof.There is no way to make a soundproof bathroom, unfortunately. The walls are not sound-proof, my neighbors might hear me. But if the waters are running...If you like to sing in the shower, then I suggest learning Elmos version of "Head,
flyingpig
I am a terrible singer and I would never, under any circumstances, sing in my home even if there is no one.

But when I am in the shower, I sing like non-stop. Do you guys do this? Why is ti easier and more comfortable to sing in the shower?

Physics news on Phys.org
What the heck's wrong with you that you won't even sing when you're alone at home?

Don't' worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear. Just sing, sing a song.

Sing out loud, sing out strong.

Sing of good things, not bad.

Sing of happy, not sad.

Wait! That would rule out singing "No Children" by The Mountain Goats. So disregard that part about singing about good things and happy things. Sing about dysfunctional things, too.

BobG said:
What the heck's wrong with you that you won't even sing when you're alone at home?

Don't' worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear. Just sing, sing a song.

Sing out loud, sing out strong.

Sing of good things, not bad.

Sing of happy, not sad.

Wait! That would rule out singing "No Children" by The Mountain Goats. So disregard that part about singing about good things and happy things. Sing about dysfunctional things, too.

The walls are not sound-proof, my neighbors might hear me. But if the waters are running...

Sing "Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes" 50 times a day. They'll move and your rent will go down.

flyingpig said:
The walls are not sound-proof, my neighbors might hear me. But if the waters are running...

For the record: the water running does not drown out your voice for anyone but you. Your neighbors will hear you just fine. In fact, they won't hear the high freqs of the water at all, but your low freq voice carries well.

BTW, the reason singing works in the shower is because of the reflectivity and harmonics. It makes a quiet, weak voice sound strong.

BobG said:
I love "No Children" by The Mountain Goats. And I hope you die...I hope we both die...

DaveC426913 said:
For the record: the water running does not drown out your voice for anyone but you. Your neighbors will hear you just fine. In fact, they won't hear the high freqs of the water at all, but your low freq voice carries well.

BTW, the reason singing works in the shower is because of the reflectivity and harmonics. It makes a quiet, weak voice sound strong.

No but maybe the walls in the bathrooms are reinforced? I can't imagine the disgusting sounds people make doing number two. I am sure it is sound-proof.

Evo said:
I love "No Children" by The Mountain Goats. And I hope you die...I hope we both die...

At least the neighbors don't keep pestering me to borrow a cup of sugar anymore.

flyingpig said:
No but maybe the walls in the bathrooms are reinforced? I can't imagine the disgusting sounds people make doing number two. I am sure it is sound-proof.

Not everyone lives on Old Milwaukee, Pace Picante Sauce, and Doritos. :yuck: (My poor dog started whining in her sleep when I even typed that diet regimen.)

Start eating healthier!

flyingpig said:
...the disgusting sounds people make doing number two...

BobG said:
At least the neighbors don't keep pestering me to borrow a cup of sugar anymore.
Did I get some wires crossed? :biggrin:

DaveC426913 said:
Did I get some wires crossed? :biggrin:
One of my favorite songs/bands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVS5rpPW5Pg

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Wow, what a wonderful depressing song! I like.

micromass said:
^ Wow, what a wonderful depressing song! I like.
It's very funny. :biggrin:

What you should do is put your headphones on, play your favorite CD, and sing along to that. That's always entertaining to anyone that happens by.

BobG said:
Sing "Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes" 50 times a day. They'll move and your rent will go down.

To expedite the process, I suggest learning Elmos version.

Evo said:
One of my favorite songs/bands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVS5rpPW5Pg

I love their songs! :!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I sing a lot :) in the car, at home, in the shower, at work (yes, I do work in a tight space with others, we all do it), etc... There is never a bad time to sing

flyingpig said:
Why is ti easier and more comfortable to sing in the shower?

The reverberation overtones due to the enclosed walls of the bathroom gives more bass to the sound. Higher bass is more appealing to male voice. Hence men are usually the bathroom singers than women.

It's fine, so long as the neighbors don't mind. You ought to hear what it sounds like during a sat dive. The problem is, the neighbors usually do mind.

jobyts said:
The reverberation overtones due to the enclosed walls of the bathroom gives more bass to the sound. Higher bass is more appealing to male voice. Hence men are usually the bathroom singers than women.

Bass is also omni-directional, meaning it is difficult for the human ear to tell what direction it is coming from. Soft surfaces like water absorb bass, while hard surfaces reflect it making the overall effect in a shower similar to that of digital compression. The minor imperfections are obscured, while the overall sound is amplified. Because of the close proximity of the walls you even get a bit of a reverberation effect depending on how far off center you stand. Since the bass is omni-directional it all blends into a single sound that seems to come from all directions at once.

The loudest echos result when the shower ceiling is low and your ear is about 3/4 the distance from the floor. Thus even people with high pitched voices can enjoy singing in the shower thanks to the better then average acoustics they often provide. The loud sound of the falling water also provides people with a sense of security that their every mistake won't be criticized by others. Singing has often been described as "controlled screaming" and the less inhibited they feel and the more feedback they can receive using echos or headsets the better.

I actually had a thought about this the other day I think I know why people sing in the shower. It's a combination of super boring with the fact that most people I think get a bit scared that they are going to be trapped in the shower and an evil clown will pop out of the drain and eat them! This is all of course a result of you know what movie. So the reason people sing is the shower is ET phone home.

Containment said:
I actually had a thought about this the other day I think I know why people sing in the shower...

Let me guess - you thought of this while you were in the shower.

No, the evil clown told him.

1. How does the acoustics of the shower affect singing?

The acoustics of the shower play a significant role in how singing sounds. The hard surfaces of the bathroom, such as tiles and glass, reflect sound waves, creating a natural reverb effect. This can make the voice sound fuller and more resonant, making it easier to hit higher notes and sustain longer notes.

2. Is there any scientific evidence that singing in the shower is easier?

While there have not been many scientific studies specifically on singing in the shower, there is evidence that singing in a reverberant space can improve vocal performance. Studies have shown that singers tend to perform better in acoustically live environments, such as concert halls, compared to acoustically dead spaces, like recording studios.

3. Why do some people believe they sound better while singing in the shower?

The belief that singing in the shower sounds better may be due to a combination of factors. As mentioned, the acoustics of the shower can enhance the sound of the voice. Additionally, the warm and steamy environment of the shower can help to relax the vocal cords, making it easier to hit high notes and sing with more control.

4. Are there any other benefits to singing in the shower?

Singing in the shower can have numerous benefits, both physical and emotional. It can help to relieve stress and improve mood, as singing releases endorphins and reduces cortisol levels. Singing also helps to improve breath control and lung capacity, and can even strengthen the immune system.

5. Can singing in the shower actually improve vocal skills?

While singing in the shower may not directly improve vocal skills, it can help to build confidence and comfort in singing. Additionally, the acoustics and relaxed environment of the shower can help to improve aspects of vocal technique, such as breath control and pitch accuracy. Regular practice and training, however, are still necessary for significant improvement in vocal skills.