Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do you have an edition of Hamlet at hand?

1. Sep 1, 2005 #1

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Long story short: I had some. I had to donate them. I don't want to buy them again if I don't need them. I only need a few lines right now. It's perfectly kosher, IMHO. So...

If anyone has a version other than the First Folio or Second Quarto, I'll grant you one wish if you tell me what it says within the question marks:

Did forfeit (with his life) all ?these/those? his lands
    Which he stood seized ?of/on?, to the conqueror.
    Against the which a moiety competent
    Was gagEd by our King, which had ?returned/return?
    To the inheritance of Fortinbras,
    Had he been vanquisher; as by the same ?compart/compact/Cov’nant?
    And carriage of the article ?design/designed?
    To locate it: This is Horatio speaking to Marcellus in Act I, Scene I, after the Ghost has entered and exited for the first time. It's a rather long speech, which begins with "That can I. At least the whisper goes so...", and you may find it around line #105. It'll be on the first page or two, so you can just scan for the first lengthy speech.

If you have an annotated edition and there are notes about this part, I would love it if you could give me the details regarding the options in question. This would be extremely helpful, because I want to make an informed decision.

Thanks so much. :smile:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

My copy gives:

Did forfeit (with his life) all those his lands
    Which he stood seized of to the conqueror.
    Against the which a moiety competent
    Was gagEd by our King, which had returned
    To the inheritance of Fortinbras,
    Had he been vanquisher; as by the same cov’nant

My edition: Shakespeare made easy :blushing:

4. Sep 1, 2005 #3
  5. Sep 1, 2005 #4

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Thanks, Doc Al. I just realized that I had forgotten a line, but don't worry about it, I bet that your says "design'd" anyway. :smile: (You have one wish.)

6. Sep 1, 2005 #5

honestrosewater

Gold Member

O, the shame. I thought I was the Google Queen. :redface: You rock, mister Ape! :biggrin:
    Okay, I'll use this site later, so it's a big help. It addresses the comart issue, but not the others. I kind of wanted comart to be a typo of compart, which meant to divide into parts. This fits with carriage, the administration of those parts:
    as by the same compart and carriage of the article design(ed),
    as by the same division and admistration (of lands) of the article design(ed)​
    which is what the compact did. It has the right rhythm too. Bah, I want all the choices not mentioned so far.

I still would like a variety of sources on this one. It is giving me problems.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2005
  7. Sep 1, 2005 #6

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Yep, the next line is:
    And carriage of the article designed,​

8. Sep 1, 2005 #7

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

9. Sep 1, 2005 #8

honestrosewater

Gold Member

And design'd is in neither F1 nor Q2! It's design in both! They just changed it for some reason. :rolleyes:

10. Sep 1, 2005 #9

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Thanks, I love PG but wasn't familiar with the Collins Edition. This is crazy - between the editions, transcriptions of the editions, and facsimiles, I'm going to have over a dozen tabs open at once. They get hard to keep track of after a while. :yuck:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?