Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do you have any

1. Feb 15, 2010 #1

Homework Helper

...books/movies that you're fond of not because of their content, but because of the context in which you read/watched them? Mine would be Bridge to Terabithia. My teacher read it aloud to the class, all seated on the carpet, when I was in grade 5. I was a recent immigrant at the time and wasn't good at English, so I couldn't understand most of it. The only parts I remember now were a discussion about going to church, something about a bully, and something about Leslie dying and the narrator running around, afraid to stop but not knowing why he's running. At the time, I didn't know what church was, nor what religion was, nor why Leslie was swinging across the rope that led to her death.

It's somewhat of a miracle that seven years later, I remembered the name of the book well enough to find it on the Internet. I just watched the movie Bridge to Terabithia, seven years after I heard the story, and can FINALLY say that I understand the plot.

I thought it would be interesting to hear about what books or movies you guys are fond of because of the memories they bring back, and why.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2010 #2
    You're twelve?
  4. Feb 15, 2010 #3

Homework Helper

I was in grade 5 six to seven years ago, so no, 12 would be way too young.
  5. Feb 15, 2010 #4
    Oh, I misread "grade 5" as "age 5".

I am trying to think of a book I like because of the associations rather than the book itself, but nothing is coming to mind. I'll think about it more, though.
  6. Feb 15, 2010 #5
    Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter. i don't think i'd much care for it now, but it was once a great bedtime story. "Peter, where are your clothes?"
  7. Feb 15, 2010 #6

Staff: Mentor

Memento and Donnie Darko. I would make Evo Child sit and watch movies with me and she would put up a huge fuss, then after the movie she would talk about how great the movie was, so in return she would pick out two I had to watch with her. These were the first two, and they were great.
  8. Feb 15, 2010 #7
    The Harry Potter books. When they first came out I wasn't the greatest at reading, so my father would read them to me. Good times!
  9. Feb 15, 2010 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I enjoyed the movie "Bridge to Terabithia" - it's pretty intense. I can relate to losing someone very special.

My 5th grade teacher read Amazon Adventure to the class. I thoroughly enjoyed it. We worked fast on our lessons so that we'd get more time for the story. I think she also read Red Badge of Courage.

I wasn't much into fiction in school, since I prefered to read books on math, chemistry and physics, or natural sciences.

During my senior year in high school, I took an elective English class in which the genre was Science Fiction. I found that I did enjoy the fiction, particularly Asimov, Heinlein and Roddenberry. That was when I first read the Foundation and Empire series. About six or seven years ago, I rediscovered the Foundation and Empire series, and some new Prequels/Preludes to the original three books. I read the entire series to my son.

I also read the Harry Potter books to my children, as well as Chrisopher Paolini's Eragon series. I'm waiting for the 4th book.

Of course, Douglas Adam's The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a great read.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook