Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do you keep school notes/papers

1. Jan 8, 2010 #1
    I've got a box full of notebooks, graded homework, essays, and notes dating back to high school, and I don't know what to do with it. So wondering if you guys kept your school materials for any sentimental value. Or if you haven't, would you like to look at the stuff years later?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2010 #2
    I do, but I don't know why. The notebooks I can sort of see, but I have no clue why I hang on to graded homework after the semester is over. Doesn't seem like much of a point.

4. Jan 8, 2010 #3

Dembadon

Gold Member

I haven't kept everything. I think I've kept more than most people do, though. I enjoy looking back at what I've done and how far I've come. Some of the most interesting things I've found have been my 1st and 2nd grade writing assignments. To see the way I viewed the world back then is highly amusing. I have a few author's conference awards in which I had completely forgotten I had participated, and finding them reminded of how little I cared about such achievements at that age. I can view them now and gain some satifaction and sense of accomplishment.

I am someone who enjoys observing progress. Also, nostalgia (in "healthy doses") can promote psycological health. If you've got the room, keep 'em! :smile:

5. Jan 8, 2010 #4

minger

Science Advisor

I have all of my graduate class notes 3 feet away. I never know when an example of a CD nozzle, or temperature distribution of a cylinder might be useful.

6. Jan 8, 2010 #5

fluidistic

Gold Member

I didn't keep almost anything from high school. However I kept everything in college. I'm now done with the second year.

If your box grow too much, maybe you could scan all your courses and keep the images in your computer. Then trash some/all courses.

7. Jan 8, 2010 #6
    I have been scanning all mine with a Fujitsu ScanSnap. I've really started to love this thing. Cut up hundreds of my books and scanned them into my computer (hundreds of pounds and I was worried they might fall through the floor!). Searchable pdfs are so... *puts on shades* ...nice to have.

8. Jan 8, 2010 #7
    What is this "Fujtsu ScanSnap"?

9. Jan 8, 2010 #8

turbo

Gold Member

For personal use, a very small 2-sided color scanner.

10. Jan 8, 2010 #9

ideasrule

Homework Helper

I think I have most of my workbooks from grades 1-11. I particularly like my grade 3 books: grade 3 was when I started writing in English after coming to Canada, and it's interesting to laugh at how bad my writing was back then. I was surprised that looking at the workbooks actually brought back thoughts that I had in grade 3: "hm...what's the difference between 'side' and 'said'?".

Newai: hundreds of pounds of books? :bugeye:Was this a lifetime project or just a decade-long project?

11. Jan 8, 2010 #10
    It's an interesting scanner. Just insert documents like a dollar in a vending machine.

12. Jan 8, 2010 #11

fluidistic

Gold Member

Searchable PDF's? Wow, that's incredibly nice. What program(s) are you using?

Out of curiosity, where are you from originally?

13. Jan 8, 2010 #12
  14. Jan 8, 2010 #13

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

15. Jan 8, 2010 #14

turbo

Gold Member

Watch MIB to see why. :tongue:

16. Jan 9, 2010 #15
    That scanner sounds fast pretty fast compared to mine. I wouldn't be willing to pull books apart though.

17. Jan 9, 2010 #16

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

I save my stuff, I got them around there somewhere. There is some stuff back at my parent's house and some back at my place. I think I'll put it all together in a big box or something. It's mostly college and now graduate school. My high school, I've kept some notebooks but not everything.

18. Jan 9, 2010 #17
    I think I have some stuff lying around from high school, but this is largely because I just forgot to throw it away. I've only started "officially" keeping my old homeworks starting in grad school. I figure that the average physicist's knowledge of physics only goes down after taking the PhD qualifier, so I should probably keep this stuff around so I can have some record of what I used to know, physics-wise.

19. Jan 10, 2010 #18
    Not... *presses reply button* ...necessarily.

:cool:

20. Jan 10, 2010 #19

Danger

Gold Member

My 'pack-rattedness' is almost unsurpassed. A significant occupation of the C-can that I have parked in my yard consists of my high-school binders. (I don't know how it works elsewhere, but our textbooks remained the property of the school.) I'll probably never look at them again, but I keep them around as a reminder that I was a hell of a lot funnier 35 years ago than I have been since.

21. Jan 10, 2010 #20
    Yes i do ,i still hold my primary school notes and papers.and ive gratuated from college now.i think that notes and papers includ childhood memeries.http://www.power4game.com/" [Broken] hehehe...

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  22. Jan 11, 2010 #21

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Mainland China. I moved here after my parents decided to come back and get me (they were studying in the US before that).

23. Jan 11, 2010 #22
    Shanghai ,glad to see u here !!!:blushing:

24. Jan 11, 2010 #23
    This sounds like an almost vebatim repeat of a question on a similar forum...

Or perhaps my deja vu is repeating repeating itself again again.

But, to answer your question: For the math/science/physics stuff, I tended to pair down the quarter's content into final exam "study guides," just condensed notes and mnemonics to aid in studying. I chucked the rest after class, but kept my crib notes, as well as about half of my college texts.

25. Jan 26, 2010 #24
    I agree. Just scan them into images/pdfs, and throw out the hard copies.

26. Jan 26, 2010 #25
    My fathers heats home in winter with a boiler, in which he burns wood. I had too much paper anyways :cry:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook