Communicating the Ineffable: The Power of Analogy and Storytelling

• Thread starter JoeError
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
In summary, Wittgenstein argues that we can't ever fully describe what something feels or tastes like without knowing other concepts. We can only communicate what we feel or taste through analogy and stories.
JoeError
How can we describe the ability to communicate an idea in which we cannot describe? We have conversations where we are never fully able to use words to say what we're trying to say. We circle around them, with metaphors and similies, but never say exactly what it is, end the statement with "Do you know what I mean?" and get a yes. Somehow we can come to a consensus on a topic without ever using a clear definition of that which we are speaking. You know what I mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I know what you mean. I sometimes can't express
what I am trying to say. Hmm...maybe someone should start
building something like a Borg (from Star Trek) connection for 2 people,
in which thoughts are directly transferred. :tongue:

-Edgardo

Well, see my question was, are there theories on this? People understanding someone while the idea was never relayed through the conventional theory of common speech?

I don't have trouble saying what I want to say, and I will stoop to anything, metaphor, simile, image, sound bites, cries, moans, songs, full body language.

You know what I mean? Now that is the problem, frequently people don't even know what they say, or why they say it; so transference of meaning is impossible, especially considering the differences between individuals, and expectations, and desires.

He says," It's late, I am really tired, I have a very soft bed, a bottle of wine and some tasty snacks, you look great in that dress, do you know what I mean?"

She says, "Yes, I am sorry for your lack of physical vigor, but however, I am glad that you have comfortable quarters, and sustenance, good night."

JoeError said:
How can we describe the ability to communicate an idea in which we cannot describe? We have conversations where we are never fully able to use words to say what we're trying to say. We circle around them, with metaphors and similies, but never say exactly what it is, end the statement with "Do you know what I mean?" and get a yes. Somehow we can come to a consensus on a topic without ever using a clear definition of that which we are speaking. You know what I mean?

Ever read Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations? I don't want to sound like a disciple (by constantly bringing him up), but he answers your question quite well.

The basic point you may want to consider is that you can't define any word, or conceive of any concept, without knowing lots of other words/concepts.

Last edited:
Subjective experience

JoeError said:

It seems there are many things in this world that are purely subjective and no amount of words can desribe what is being felt. It is like trying to explain to someone what a chocolate ice cream cone taste like. Even if the other person taste the cone there is no way of confirming that the cone taste the same to both of you.

Pretty much every feeling or concept can be communicated, if your are effective enough in your techniques of communication.

Some things can not be directly stated, but can be explained through analogy.
Other times it helps to make a story, stories often have themes which can not be given proper description through just sentences or statements, it takes an entire book to define the setting, the theme, and eventually, the message.

1. What does "Do you know what I mean?" mean?

This phrase is an expression used to check if the listener understands what the speaker is trying to convey. It is often used to confirm mutual understanding in a conversation.

2. Is "Do you know what I mean?" a rhetorical question?

Yes, it can be considered a rhetorical question as it is not expecting a response but rather seeking confirmation or agreement from the listener.

3. Can "Do you know what I mean?" be used in formal settings?

Yes, it can be used in formal settings as a way to clarify or confirm understanding in a professional conversation. However, it is more commonly used in casual or informal conversations.

4. Is "Do you know what I mean?" a sign of lack of confidence in one's communication?

No, it is not necessarily a sign of lack of confidence. It can simply be a way to ensure effective communication and avoid misunderstandings.

5. Are there alternative phrases to "Do you know what I mean?"

Yes, there are many alternative phrases that can serve the same purpose, such as "Do you understand?", "Do you get what I'm saying?", or "Is that clear?".