Who Are You and What is Your Spiritual Purpose?

• Thread starter BicycleTree
  • Start date
In summary, a black, viscous, stretchable object with a glistening name, resembling a bean, was found on a floor tile. It may be a seriously diseased appendix.
I know I am me.

Physics news on Phys.org
"me" is a very vague concept--it enables you to point to the object in question (you), but it doesn't require a full knowledge of what that object is.

I am Jimmy Snyder.

I came in second in the 1939 Indy 500.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=auto&id=2071778

I am a bookmaker, sport commentator, and author.
http://www.gambling-systems.com/novelbooks.html

My band (Palomino Riders) was nominated for Band of the year (Non-Touring) by the Academy of Country Music in 1981.
http://www.goldderby.com/lostmind/year/1981/1981acma.htm

I played the part of a male stripper in the movie Terminator 3

I managed the Mariners in 1988.
http://scores.seattletimes.nwsource.com/default.asp?c=seatimes&page=mlb/teams/DIRECT038.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I am vengeance
I am the knight
I am Batman

Why do I bother?

BicycleTree said:
Better at what? Being short?

By the way, this would be a time to get one thing straight. There are four "DYKWYR"'s, not three. The title was counted as one of them.
"Do you know who you are?
Do you know who you are?
Do you know who you are?
Do you know who you are?"
Why do I bother?
Why do I bother?
Why do I bother?

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

this thread is stupid
this thread is stupid
this thread is stupid
this thread is stupid

In the book Two Years Before The Mast a guy signs up on a merchant ship. The ship is run by the First Mate and the Captain only comes out of his cabin on rare occasions to lecture and yell at the assembled crew. Apparently he's crazy because his "lectures" always seem to crescendo to the point where he yells:

"I'm JohnnyCake Johnny! That's what I am! I'm JohnnyCake Johnny!"

For the rest of the voyage, whenever they wanted to crack each other up, they'd lean over and whisper in someone's ear; "I'm JohnnyCake Johnny! That's what I am! I'm JohnnyCake Johnny!"

I think, though, that maybe Bicycle Tree actually says this to himself in the mirror, in earnest tones, whenever he's getting ready to start a new thread here.

I think you're all being pretty unfair. I am talking about the quest for self-knowledge. It's not a silly thing.

I think that deep in your hearts you understand that you don't really know who you are, and it makes you uncomfortable when someone points out you have far to go before you reach knowledge of yourself and your spiritual purpose.

BicycleTree said:
I think you're all being pretty unfair. I am talking about the quest for self-knowledge. It's not a silly thing.
BicycleTree said:
It's multiple choice:
a. Fred Flintstone
b. Menelaus son of Atreus
c. Edward Teller
d. Musicians
I think that deep in your hearts you understand that you don't really know who you are, and it makes you uncomfortable when someone points out you have far to go before you reach knowledge of yourself and your spiritual purpose.
And it makes you comfortable to think you've made someone else uncomfortable.

BicycleTree said:

You are not asking us to know ourselves, you are asking us to tell others about ourselves, or more so, who we really are. This is harder to do.

I have a pretty fair grasp of who I am. In fact I get into this question very deeply because I am an artistic person in a scientific field. My approach to this situation is unique in my office and I have to keep in perspective who I am.

Then there is the fact that we are human beings not human doings, so how much of who we are is what we do?

BicycleTree said:
It's not a silly thing.
Have you read 'The Apology of Socrates" by Plato? I'll give a short synopsis for those who haven't.

The oracle at Delphi says "No one knows more than Socrates". Socrates says "This cannot be, for I know nothing." Upon further investigation, Socrates realizes what the oracle meant: Socrates knows one thing, namely he knows that he doesn't know anything. Some people know less than Socrates because they don't know this one thing, but as the oracle said, no one knows more. The citizens of Athens then vote to execute Socrates for corrupting the youth.

As a skeptic, I try to know as little as possible, but I am not in Socrates' league. Even so, I think that trying to know who I am is indeed a silly thing. If it makes you feel any better, at least I am on speaking terms with myself.

BicycleTree said:
you have far to go before you reach knowledge of yourself and your spiritual purpose.
I have no spiritual purpose; I'm here because the weeds need the carbon dioxide.*

Besides, there are other people that I'd far rather get to know than me. (Courtney Love, for instance, is rather intriquing.)

*© Johnny Hart