Do you know why men's legs are usually smaller than women's ?

• Thread starter Persefone
  • Start date
In summary, women have shorter torsos than men, but men's legs are usually smaller than women's. This is likely because it is more advantageous for women to have strong legs, since they use them for many activities that require strength, like pole-tossing.
Persefone

Biology news on Phys.org
Persefone said:
What do you mean by smaller?

Females nearly always have a shorter torso then men, but leg lenth can vary.

Persefone said:

Women have strong (big) legs. I suspect it's a reflection of reproductive success. That's why they have so much difficulty with our modern stress on slender figures. That's not what our genetic inheritance selected for and they suffer as a result: like trying to keep water in a bucket full of holes.

saltydog said:
Women have strong (big) legs.
Most women I know have very thin legs. Most men have much bulkier legs than women. Of course there are exceptions. I've never seen a man with legs as thin as mine.

Where do you meet these bulky legged women? :tongue:

Maybe in the highland games, a female clachneart player?

hypatia said:
Maybe in the highland games, a female clachneart player?
I had to look that one up. :biggrin: Or perhaps that pole tossing thing?

It is sad for women that have sturdy legs that fashion favors thin legs. I may have thin legs, but I am shortwaisted, the bottom of my rib cage sits on my hips. Fashion favors women with small rib cages and long waists (most distance between bottom of ribs and hips). :frown:

Evo said:
Most women I know have very thin legs. Most men have much bulkier legs than women. Of course there are exceptions. I've never seen a man with legs as thin as mine.

Where do you meet these bulky legged women? :tongue:

Just said they have strong legs (just my personal observations), not that they're larger than men. Suppose I've been surrounded by . . . women with . . . strong legs. :smile:

saltydog said:
Women have strong (big) legs. I suspect it's a reflection of reproductive success. That's why they have so much difficulty with our modern stress on slender figures. That's not what our genetic inheritance selected for and they suffer as a result: like trying to keep water in a bucket full of holes.
Thanks saltydog, as always.
Even when you are not souldog, I know souldog if read this, he will know it then anyway.
Bye.
-persefone

Persefone said:
Thanks saltydog, as always.
Even when you are not souldog, I know souldog if read this, he will know it then anyway.
Bye.
-persefone

I'm not souldog. Got me mixed up with someone else. I'm just me. :smile:

What is the biological reason for men's legs being smaller than women's?

The main biological reason for men's legs being generally smaller than women's is due to the differences in hormones. Testosterone, which is found in higher levels in men, leads to a higher muscle mass and density. This results in the appearance of larger and more muscular legs. On the other hand, estrogen, which is found in higher levels in women, promotes the storage of fat in the legs, giving them a larger appearance.

Does muscle mass play a role in the size difference between men's and women's legs?

Yes, muscle mass does play a significant role in the size difference between men's and women's legs. As mentioned before, men typically have higher levels of testosterone which leads to increased muscle mass. This makes their legs appear larger and more muscular than women's legs.

Are there any other factors that contribute to the size difference between men's and women's legs?

Apart from hormones, genetics and physical activity levels also play a role in the size difference between men's and women's legs. Some people are genetically predisposed to having larger leg muscles, while others may have a sedentary lifestyle that leads to smaller leg muscles. However, hormones remain the primary factor in this difference.

Do men and women have the same leg bone structure?

Yes, men and women have the same leg bone structure. However, due to the difference in hormones, the size and shape of the muscles surrounding the bones may vary. This can result in men having a more angular and defined leg shape, while women may have a curvier and softer leg shape.

Can women have larger leg muscles than men?

While women can have larger leg muscles than men, it is not common due to the difference in hormones. Women have lower levels of testosterone, which makes it challenging to build and maintain large muscles. However, with proper training and nutrition, some women may be able to achieve a similar level of muscle mass as men.