Can You Ace This State Capitals Quiz?

• Thread starter G01
  • Start date
In summary: I think that was kind of dumb. I know all my capitals but I just don't know the exact geographical location inside each state. Jeez.20 perfect; avg. 124 miles. (JT is God!)22%; 253 miles.this is ridiculous, i can't even get them in the right state most of the timeIn summary, the Americans know their state capitals better than they think. The average error is 30 miles and they can get 20 out of 50 right.
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
See if you guys (from the states anyway) know your state capitals as well as you think. Here's the catch, do you know where they are in the state??

http://www.addictinggames.com/50statecapitals.html

My score:

66%
Avg. Error 30miles
296sec

Physics news on Phys.org
You really did that on your first pass?

My first pass:

44%, Average Error: 166 miles, 278 seconds.

- Warren

Sad, 6%

Error 554 miles

252 secs

I'm surprised I did so well since I didn't even recognize a lot of the names of the cities or know exactly where certain states are. Luckily some states are so small it was easy to get 'close enough'. I got 20% (10/50) in 411 sec & my avg error was 333mi. Not bad for a Canadian. :tongue: I doubt that very many Americans could get 10/13 Canadian provinces/territories. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
10% avg error 741 miles. :rofl: I'm from the UK that's my excuse.

44%, 133 miles.

I would have done better than that when I was in fifth grade. Of course, I dropped the star once which gave me about a 2000 mile error in one shot (I put Boston somewhere in Western Canada).

Last edited:
Kurdt said:
10% avg error 741 miles. :rofl: I'm from the UK that's my excuse.

yeah but i doubt very many people would know what the heptarchy is.

Well, that was embarrassing. :grumpy:

fourier jr said:
yeah but i doubt very many people would know what the heptarchy is.

I doubt most British people will since its ancient history. Naming the counties would be comparable.

Oy...though I lost a few points up in the Northeast even knowing where they belonged because it got so cluttered, I couldn't even see where the states were once a few stars were placed. I'm pretty hopeless with western square states. :tongue:

24%
Average error 220 mi
12 perfect out of 50. :yuck:

30%
average distance error 91 miles
time, forever
15 perfect.

Alaska Blew my distance mileage, your mileage may vary.:smile:

Last edited:
I gave up when my average error got up past 2000 miles.

Capitals complement the lower case, and capitols house ill repute.

chroot said:
You really did that on your first pass?

My first pass:

44%, Average Error: 166 miles, 278 seconds.

- Warren
That was my second attempt, sorry! I forgot to mention that. Yeah First attempt I was somewhere around 40% and 165 miles of error. (I'm learning, at least!)

Here's another one for placing the states themselves:

http://www.addictinggames.com/50states.html

On this one, my first score is: 92%, Error 14 miles 254s
This one was a little bit easier.

Last edited:
G01 said:
That was my second attempt, sorry! I forgot to mention that. Yeah First attempt I was somewhere around 40% and 165 miles of error. (I'm learning, at least!)

Here's another one for placing the states themselves:

http://www.addictinggames.com/50states.html

On this one, my first score is: 92%, Error 14 miles 254s
This one was a little bit easier.

Yeah, easier if they don't give you states like Kansas first! :grumpy: The first few that had to just go *somewhere* in the middle are what threw off the rest of the score.
88.23% 27 mi average error

70%
Average Error 79 miles
352 seconds

First try. (and that was with a stupid mistake of confusing Columbus with Columbia)

What do I get?

I PROMISE that I didn't even glance at the huge map of the US that is right in front of my computer screen.

Edit: I meant behind the computer screed, on the wall, and the names of cities are so small I had lean forward and squint to read them. I mean I would have had to, if I did, but I didn't. Except for Oklahoma City, which is written larger than most and is right in my line of sight whenever I glance up. But I knew that one anyway. Can we call it a "D"?

Last edited:
86%, 8 miles, 591 seconds.

I think that was kind of dumb. I know all my capitals but I just don't know the exact geographical location inside each state. Jeez.

20 perfect; avg. 124 miles. (JT is God!)

22%; 253 miles.

this is ridiculous, i can't even get them in the right state most of the time

Alright, I picked up this game again after a while and on my fourth attempt (overall):

78% Avg Error:12 miles

I'm definitely getting better, maybe this is the way they should teach states and capitals to grade schoolers?:rolleyes:

Nice game, as I love geography. Score=4%, Av. Error= 402 miles, Time 714 sec. Only 2 perfect cities= Jackson and Indianapolis, funny thing cause I didn't even know that Jackson was the capital of Mississippi.

That was actually fun. 26% av error 227 miles, 515 seconds.

1. What is the purpose of the "Can You Ace This State Capitals Quiz?"

The purpose of this quiz is to test your knowledge of the state capitals of the United States. It is designed to be both fun and informative for those interested in geography and politics.

2. How many questions are in the quiz?

There are a total of 50 questions in the quiz, one for each state capital in the United States.

3. Is there a time limit for completing the quiz?

No, there is no time limit for completing the quiz. You can take as much time as you need to answer each question.

4. Are the questions multiple choice or open-ended?

The questions are multiple choice, with four answer options for each question. This allows for a more interactive and engaging experience for the quiz-taker.

5. Can I retake the quiz if I don't get a perfect score?

Yes, you can retake the quiz as many times as you like. The questions are randomized, so each time you take it, you may get a different set of questions. This allows for continued learning and improvement of your state capitals knowledge.