How do you take your coffee? Cream, sugar, or black?

• Thread starter Daniel Y.
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around people's preferences for coffee, with some preferring cream, sugar, or flavored creamers, while others enjoy it black. Some mention their favorite flavors, such as vanilla biscotti or hazelnut creme, and how they like to make their coffee, including iced coffees and specialty drinks. The conversation also touches on the lyrics of The Rolling Stones' song "Paint it Black" and a personal experience with flavored coffee at a restaurant. Overall, the conversation is centered around different ways of enjoying coffee and the personal preferences of the participants."

How do you take your coffee?

• Cream

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Sugar

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Cream and Sugar

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Black

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • I don't drink coffee.

Votes: 6 24.0%

• Total voters
Daniel Y.
Some like cream, some like sugar, some like both, some swear by black coffee. How do you take it?

After seeing an old coffee thread, I decided to make a poll to see if there are others like me.
I like my coffee with cream and sugar, just to take off the bitter edge to coffee. I brew mine fresh after just grinding it, but my coffee-maker is crap, so...

Some interesting things you might also mention are how you make your coffee, what your favorite flavor is, how many cups you drink per day, so on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would prefer cream and sugar, but I'll drink it straight black too. I'll take it anyway I can get it :biggrin:

My favorite flavor is vanilla biscotti, oh, it's sooo good :biggrin

mcknia07 said:
I would prefer cream and sugar, but I'll drink it straight black too. I'll take it anyway I can get it :biggrin:

My favorite flavor is vanilla biscotti, oh, it's sooo good :biggrin

Haven't ever had that type, I might pick some up sometime.

I just tried Hazlenut Creme. By far the strongest coffee I've ever had. A little too much of that stuff and it tastes like you're chewing on the beans.

My coffee has so much cream/milk/ half & half, that you can't even tell it's coffee anymore.

But if I'm studying I don't add milk, only cream or nondairy creamer because the milk will counteract the effect of the caffeine.

Sugar is optional, since adding that much cream/milk/ half & half, it's basically not bitter anymore.

Last edited:
I used to work at a coffee house so I have had and made all sorts of coffee. Usually I got tired of drinking the same thing day after day so I started making other concoctions. It was also hot back there with the coffee machines and panini grill and everything so I became rather fond of iced coffees.

I prefer stronger coffees but do not like french roast or most double roasts since they all tend to have that same sort of flavour. Most of the time I take it black with sugar. Sometimes I like it with a bit of cream as a sort of desert type thing. My standard drink became an americano, double run as opposed to just adding water, with a shot of caramel syrup. On ice I generally made a caramel breve latte. (breve = a bit of half and half or cream instead of milk)

I used to drink nothing but black, but ever since I met that woman in Chicago that owned an upscale coffee shop and she introduced me to flavored coffees, I dring flavored creamers. You don't have that as an option.

Last edited:
Oh and the "[Ape] Special"!
Iced esspresso, bit of chocolate syrup, a bit of milk, and a whole lot of Bailey's Irish Cream.

Evo said:
I used to drink nothing but black, but ever since I met that woman in Chicago that owned an upscale coffee shop and she introduced me to flavorved coffees, I dring flavored creamers. You don't have that as an option.

Bah! Flavored creamer is still creamer (I use flavored creamer, too)!

no i like it brown. or something brigther and more exotic, like french van.

I see a rainbow and I want to paint it black...

binzing said:
I see a rainbow and I want to paint it black...

Actually, it's 'red door' instead of 'rainbow'. Everyone I know thinks it's rainbow though... seems to be a stronger wording.

Straight black.

Rainbow? It never occurred to me in that song, but I love that album.

I know there's red door...I swear there's also rainbow. I'll go lyric hounding.

binzing said:
I know there's red door...I swear there's also rainbow. I'll go lyric hounding.
Perhaps you are thinking of "She's a rainbow"?

Evo said:
Rainbow? It never occurred to me in that song, but I love that album.

As do I! My parents bought me that album for Christmas one year, along with Black Oak Arkansas 'Hot & Nasty'.

Fitting for Christmas wasn't it? lol:rofl:

Evo said:
Perhaps you are thinking of "She's a rainbow"?

Sure it's not "She's a red door"?

"Paint it black" lyrics from the Stone's official website.

I see a red door and I want it painted black
No colors anymore I want them to turn black
I see the girls walk by dressed in their summer clothes
I have to turn my head until my darkness goes

I see a line of cars and they're all painted black
With flowers and my love, both never to come back
I see people turn their heads and quickly look away
Like a newborn baby it just happens ev'ryday

I look inside myself and see my heart is black
I see my red door and it has been painted black
Maybe then I'll fade away and not have to face the facts
It's not easy facing up when your whole world is black

No more will my green sea go turn a deeper blue
I could not forsee this thing happening to you
If I look hard enough into the setting sun
My love will laugh with me before the morning comes

I see a red door and I want it painted black
No colors anymore I want them to turn black
I see the girls walk by dressed in their summer clothes
I have to turn my head until my darkness goes

Hmm, hmm, hmm...

I want to see it painted black, painted black
Black as night, black as coal
I want to see the sun, blotted out from the sky
I want to see it painted, painted, painted, painted black
Yeah

http://www.rollingstones.com/discog/?v=so&a=1&id=49 [Broken]

*shew*, I started getting worried I was wrong all this time.

Any guy that plays this song for me and gives me good flavoured coffee will, well, let's just say, nevermind. Listen.

About twenty years ago, I asked a waitress at a nice restaurant about what type of coffee they served, as it was some of the best coffee I had tasted, and she said it wasn't the coffee.

I said, What?

She said the secret was that they added a pinch of salt to the grounds when they made it.

So, that's what I've been doing ever since.---and once in a while, I'll grind a little pepper into it---the flavor is pretty amazing--oh, yeah, and a hit of sugar for my taste.

Nestle coconut cream :tongue2:

I work with a couple of ex-navy nuclear guys and they do the salt trick too.

Some people do consider coffee an aphrodisiac.:smile: I heard for years that oysters were also, but didn't believe it. That was until a run-in with an old... ahh too much information lol.

Oysters? I hear slurping and its not just oysters.

Just Cream for me in normal coffee.

I do like my ice coffee with a little sugar though.

1. How does adding cream affect the taste of coffee?

Adding cream to coffee can make it taste smoother and less bitter. The fat in the cream helps to balance out the acidity of the coffee, resulting in a more mellow flavor.

2. Does adding sugar change the caffeine content of coffee?

No, adding sugar does not change the amount of caffeine in coffee. Caffeine is a chemical compound that is naturally present in coffee beans and is not affected by the addition of sugar.

3. Is black coffee healthier than coffee with cream and sugar?

It depends on the individual's dietary needs and preferences. Black coffee has fewer calories and may have some health benefits, but adding cream and sugar can make it more enjoyable for some people. Ultimately, moderation is key.

4. How do you know how much cream and sugar to add to your coffee?

The amount of cream and sugar to add to coffee is a matter of personal preference. Some people prefer a little, while others prefer a lot. It's best to start with a small amount and adjust to taste.

5. Does the type of coffee bean affect whether or not you should add cream or sugar?

The type of coffee bean does not necessarily determine whether or not you should add cream or sugar. It all depends on personal taste and the roast and flavor profile of the coffee. Some beans may be naturally sweeter or more bitter, so adjustments to cream and sugar may be needed accordingly.