Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do you like Michael Moore?

1. May 15, 2007 #1

ShawnD

Science Advisor

I'm watching his show The Awful Truth, and it's pretty good. Most of his stunts are nothing more than trolling, but at least it's entertaining.

Opinions?

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Its the trolling that turns me off. :yuck:

4. May 15, 2007 #3
    It don't want to see "Bowling For Columbine II".

5. May 15, 2007 #4
    I HATE that guy. He is not neutral as a docu maker. The left wing anti Bush policy is too obvious. Also Bowling for Columbine gives a very unilateral view onto reality. I just don't trust such a guy. IMO, he operates and thinks in the same way as the people he is complaining about, only he likes to present himself as being "at the other end of the political spectrum".

No Sir NO, i do NOT like nor trust that man.

marlon

6. May 15, 2007 #5

Evo

Nope, not at all.

7. May 15, 2007 #6
    How could we stay neutral with the Columbine High School massacre?
    Actually he was too neutral, because he had to sell his video.
    What are we waiting to stop this neutrality and change something?
    Are we waiting for ColumbineXX ?

Action can never be neutral.
    Being neutral is siding with the violent.

Last edited: May 15, 2007
  8. May 15, 2007 #7
    One should be emotionally shocked because of Columbine but that is NOT the same as being neutral. Especially when portraying real time events as a docu maker. The fact that the events are horrible does not change that. I wanna know what happened, i do not wanna hear some dude's personal opinion on the matter in question. This is not what making a documentary is all about.

marlon

9. May 15, 2007 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is the problem I have with him as well. If you want to create films depicting your opinions and views on the world, fine, but don't try to pass them off as documentaries. A good documentary presents enough factual information for the viewer to draw their own conclusions, not just a one-sided view that supports the preconceived notions of the script writer.

He's entitled to his opinions, but it's dishonest to call what he does a documentary. It's more of a feature-length editorial.

10. May 15, 2007 #9

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is exactly how I see it. I'm grateful to the guy, though. We do not have enough high-profile folks that are that far on that side of the political spectrum. It's comforting to look to the "right" and see Rush & O'Riley off in the distance, and then look "left" to see Moore about just as far away off.

Mind you, each one of those guys holds at least one opinion that I share. So It is not wise to to throw out all of what someone has to say just becuase you don't like the guy as a whole.

Edit:

Right now I'm listening to Newt Gingrich on NPR, and dang it if he's not sounding like a rational centrist. Is it me?

Last edited: May 15, 2007
  11. May 15, 2007 #10
    He is a propaganda maker. Nothing more. Nothing presented in his any of his books or movies should be taken as absolute truth.

12. May 15, 2007 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've never seen his work, but I liked the commercials showing King George on the golf course. :biggrin:

I tend to stay away from obviously biased sources like Moore, Rush, and Fox News.

13. May 15, 2007 #12

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I didn't mind "Roger and Me". I thought it was pretty good. I didn't care too much for the scenes when he would blindside someone on camera, but that was his shock factor at work. I thought he did a very good job of outlining what GM did to the city of Flint. However, I think he has changed his motivations since then. I honestly think he subscribes to the notion that every new documentary has to shock more than the last. His actions seem more hell bent on that than providing a good, informational documentary.

I think he wants badly to be lumped in with people like Ken Burns, but it is never going to happen.

14. May 15, 2007 #13

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nothing anybody says should be taken as "absolute truth." This status is not exclusive to either extreme.

15. May 15, 2007 #14
    If he went on a diet and got a brain, then I'd like him.

16. May 15, 2007 #15

Astronuc

My sentiments as well.

I would like to see more documentaries by Ken Burns, and more producers like him as well. It would be great if he follows the Civil War documentary series with the rest of US history before and since. :tongue2: :biggrin:

17. May 15, 2007 #16
    I love Newt Gingrich! For president! :biggrin:

18. May 15, 2007 #17

Astronuc

Gingrich vs Obama would be interesting.

And I think we need to go back to the runner up for president be VP.

19. May 15, 2007 #18

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

If they are as good as his Jazz series, I'll watch all, in most likliehood, 1000+ hours.

20. May 15, 2007 #19
    Why do people associate Michael Moore with the "left?" Honestly if you dumped him in the east block of Europe mid-80's and let him loose speaking about the king-makers and power-brokers of the time as he does now he would be killed (read:disposed of) very quickly.
    For sure he is Anti-Bush, but that IMO doesnt make him *left* wing. Or does it?

I dont like or dislike him, but I believe he has a purpose...

21. May 15, 2007 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is true! A dedicated Reagan lover way back when and now an Independent, I am probably more conservative than liberal - in many ways a libertarian - but you won't find many who hate Bush any more than I do.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?