Exploring the Entertainment Value of Michael Moore's The Awful Truth

• Thread starter ShawnD
  • Start date
In summary: It would make for a better president than the winner in most cases.In summary, the conversation revolves around the opinions of the participants on Michael Moore and his work as a documentary filmmaker. While some find his work entertaining and thought-provoking, others see him as biased and not a true documentary maker. The conversation also touches on the need for neutrality in documentaries and the role of personal opinions in shaping them. Some participants express admiration for other documentary makers like Ken Burns and suggest that they should be emulated instead. The conversation ends with a discussion on politics and the possibility of Newt Gingrich running for president.
Cyrus said:
(I think he's a teacher, i.e. summer breaks!)

Nope, that's the regular thing in France. There used to be legal 26 days of holiday, and then the famous "35 hour week" is in most companies converted in 23 extra days of holiday (while keeping something like a 9-5 day). Now because of years on the job, I got a few more days, then there's a rule that says that if you don't take all your holidays together, you get 2 more days, and then because I'm not a French national, I get 2 more days to go and see my family.

From a macro-economic viewpoint, it's a disaster. But from a personal viewpoint, it's nice :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
JasonRox said:
.. our whole lives is just a big vacation. ...
Does not bode well for the future of western civilization. I recall hearing Gov. Schwarzenegger say one reason he immigrated to the US from Austria was he had enough of listening to Austrian 18 year olds talk about their pension plans.

JasonRox said:
...Also, where do people get this long wait time thing in Canada? ...
http://scc.lexum.umontreal.ca/en/2005/2005scc35/2005scc35.html" [Broken]
SCC said:
...The evidence in this case shows that delays in the public health care system are widespread, and that, in some serious cases, patients die as a result of waiting lists for public health care. The evidence also demonstrates that the prohibition against private health insurance and its consequence of denying people vital health care result in physical and psychological suffering that meets a threshold test of seriousness..

Last edited by a moderator:
mheslep said:
Does not bode well for the future of western civilization. I recall hearing Gov. Schwarzenegger say one reason he immigrated to the US from Austria was he had enough of listening to Austrian 18 year olds talk about their pension plans.

You're assuming I'm taking advantage or abusing the system and doing nothing. I'm a hard worker. I'm saying it's like vacation because it's a beautiful life if arranged well.

Friends who followed what I do agreed. Some stop driving and started riding bikes and walking and taking the bus around because the cost was so much cheaper. Some things free up income which allow you to do the things you want. None of my friends complain about taxes and are willing to pay more (not all are in school).

The bottom line is that people get benefits from paying high taxes. The only problem now is that everyone complains about taxes in such a way that they hope to keep the benefits while paying no taxes. People like that drive me nuts.

if i have two different I beams (connected by bolts through the flange) and a plate of top of that, how would i find the neutral axis? i have the gross cross sectional area, depth and second moment of area of each.

LightbulbSun said:
Man, oh man, what is Moore going to do starting January 2009?
McCain's a republican too, so he'll have plenty to work with. Probably a start with a conspiracy theory about McCain's captivity.

badeany said:
if i have two different I beams (connected by bolts through the flange) and a plate of top of that, how would i find the neutral axis? i have the gross cross sectional area, depth and second moment of area of each.
I'd start by connecting the beams to the proper forum for the question... :biggrin:

badeany said:

First you must estimate the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow.

russ_watters said:
McCain's a republican too, so he'll have plenty to work with. Probably a start with a conspiracy theory about McCain's captivity.

I wonder what kind of title he'll stamp on this one?

<h2>1. What is the premise of Michael Moore's The Awful Truth?</h2><p>The Awful Truth is a satirical television series that aired in the late 1990s and early 2000s, hosted by filmmaker and activist Michael Moore. The show focused on exposing societal and political issues through a comedic lens.</p><h2>2. How was the entertainment value of The Awful Truth received by audiences?</h2><p>The show received mixed reviews from both critics and audiences. Some praised Moore's unique approach to addressing serious issues, while others found it to be overly sensationalized and lacking in depth.</p><h2>3. What were some of the most controversial segments on The Awful Truth?</h2><p>One of the most controversial segments was "Buy an HMO CEO," where Moore attempted to purchase a health insurance CEO's conscience. Another was "The Death Penalty," where Moore interviewed death row inmates and their families.</p><h2>4. Did The Awful Truth have any impact on society or politics?</h2><p>While the show did not have a direct impact on policy or legislation, it did bring attention to important issues and sparked conversations among viewers. It also helped launch Moore's career as a prominent documentary filmmaker.</p><h2>5. How does The Awful Truth compare to Moore's other works?</h2><p>The Awful Truth is similar in style to Moore's other films and shows, using humor and satire to shed light on social and political issues. However, it differs in that it was a weekly television series rather than a feature-length documentary.</p>

1. What is the premise of Michael Moore's The Awful Truth?

The Awful Truth is a satirical television series that aired in the late 1990s and early 2000s, hosted by filmmaker and activist Michael Moore. The show focused on exposing societal and political issues through a comedic lens.

2. How was the entertainment value of The Awful Truth received by audiences?

The show received mixed reviews from both critics and audiences. Some praised Moore's unique approach to addressing serious issues, while others found it to be overly sensationalized and lacking in depth.

3. What were some of the most controversial segments on The Awful Truth?

One of the most controversial segments was "Buy an HMO CEO," where Moore attempted to purchase a health insurance CEO's conscience. Another was "The Death Penalty," where Moore interviewed death row inmates and their families.

4. Did The Awful Truth have any impact on society or politics?

While the show did not have a direct impact on policy or legislation, it did bring attention to important issues and sparked conversations among viewers. It also helped launch Moore's career as a prominent documentary filmmaker.

5. How does The Awful Truth compare to Moore's other works?

The Awful Truth is similar in style to Moore's other films and shows, using humor and satire to shed light on social and political issues. However, it differs in that it was a weekly television series rather than a feature-length documentary.