Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do you like number theory?

1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    70.8%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  1. Aug 21, 2008 #1

tgt

Anyone here who enjoys maths in general, dislikes number theory? If so why? Have a vote.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2008 #2
    I voted no. It's only a theory.

4. Aug 21, 2008 #3
    If only both were check boxes

5. Aug 21, 2008 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And it was responsible for the killing of about [itex]\sigma_m(n)[/itex] people, where m is the smallest odd prime and n is the smallest number for which [itex]\sigma(n)[/itex] and [itex]\varphi(n)[/itex] are squares....but then again, that's not a fact.

6. Aug 21, 2008 #5
    Don't you mean numbers theories? :wink:

7. Aug 21, 2008 #6
    Hated it. I thought it was one of the worst math classes I ever took.

8. Aug 21, 2008 #7
    I like Number Theory, but not the application of it.

9. Aug 21, 2008 #8

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Love it.

10. Aug 21, 2008 #9

tgt

For those who voted no, state your reason.

11. Aug 21, 2008 #10
    Because the HW and tests were stupid. It was basically here is the question, can you figure out the trick in order to get this question right? Once you figured out the "trick" the problem just fell apart. To me it didn't really seem like it took any step by step rationalization, it was just like the puzzle section in a Sunday newspaper.

BTW I took a grad class on number theory and passed it with an A (not trying to be pompous here), so I didn't hate number theory just because I wasn't good at it.

12. Aug 22, 2008 #11
    Then you hate the course which was given, it doesn't mean that as a field you don't like it.

Solving (trying to solve) an unsolved problem in number theory is quite hard, although most of the problems are stated in such a way that even elementary school children can understand.

13. Aug 22, 2008 #12

tgt

What was the course called? Was it even tricks in that grad class?

14. Aug 23, 2008 #13
    love it....i actually haven't gone into the full details ( not taken the course yet...) but really love it..

15. Aug 23, 2008 #14
    I'm lukewarm about number theory. On one hand I think it's a very rich field, on the other I find it to be one of the less ambitious and "childish" branch of math.

16. Aug 31, 2008 #15

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One former Professor Hardy would be turning in his ivory tower grave if he heard that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?