Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do you like Palm or Pocket PC?

1. Aug 9, 2005 #1
    Do you like Palm or Pocket PC? Which do you think is the best?

The Pocket PC has better performance and interface, but its softwares are larger than palm's many times.
    The palm is cheap and don't cost much memory in softwares, also it don't require much efficacy in CPU, and it has the largest number of softwares in the market of mobile OSs.

Although that, I hope to buy Pocket PC, its intersface and multimedia performance are very brilliant, not other OSs can challenge.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2005 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

I would go to the store and play around with both and see which one you like. This is more of a personal preference than anything else.

4. Aug 9, 2005 #3
    Thank you very much. Why don't you buy a PDA? That is helpful and fun in life, working and study. Soon I save enough money, I will go to buy it. If the woman comes as soon as possible, that is great.

5. Aug 10, 2005 #4
    I've always maintained that the best PDA is the one you currently own. Like dduardo said, it's personal preference.

PDAs are still at the stage where your choice of Operating system can largely be decided by the application(s) you want/need to use. I use and prefer PalmOS and the programs I use on my PDA happen to be Palm only, so it works out for me.

I own an older model which saved me quite a bit at the time of acquisition, because I have no need for extremely high resolution, .mp3, telephonic, or bluetooth accessories.

6. Aug 13, 2005 #5
    According to Gartnet research, European and American like simple PDAs, but Japanese and Chinese like high-tech PDA mostly. I prefer a smartphone mostly.

7. Aug 13, 2005 #6
    There are still some trendy American consumers who like high-tech PDAs, though I never really saw the reason for it. The PDA is most useful, at least to me, as an organizational tool to store data about contact information, memos, and as a calendar. If I wanted it to play .mp3s, I'll just use my cd player, no need having to spend more money for things that I will rarely use.

Anyways, some of the super-high-tech stuff can run upwards of $300-500 U.S. dollars. The best thing to do is just to wait until the technology becomes more prevalent, so prices will gradually fall.

PalmOS is a fairly reliable architecture for a PDA, I haven't really had any problems or had to hard reset the unit because of a software glitch.

8. Aug 13, 2005 #7

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

I bought one of those super-high-tech organizers years back and haven't used it since. Once the cool factor wore off it became a paper weight. If I could go back and change my decision I would have definitely bought with a palm.

9. Aug 17, 2005 #8

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I absolutely love my Pocket PC. It's just so useful! The built-in apps are pretty handy, I can review my emails on the way to work, view photos straight from my camera, and backup the entire contents of my phone. I've got a UK road atlas on it, can keep track of all the deadlines I've got on, as well as all the usual calendary emaily type stuff.

Oh, and I can go on MSN while I'm having a poo. That novelty still hasn't worn off yet.

10. Aug 17, 2005 #9

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Are you sure you didn't mean that the novelty of pooping on MSN hasn't worn off yet?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?