Do you like Palm or Pocket PC?

• Thread starter yu_wing_sin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pc
In summary, the conversation discusses the advantages and disadvantages of Palm and Pocket PC as well as personal preferences for choosing a PDA. The Pocket PC is praised for its performance and interface, while the Palm is praised for its affordability and low memory usage. However, the conversation also touches on the fact that the best PDA is the one that meets an individual's needs and preferences. The conversation also briefly mentions the difference in PDA preferences between different countries and the potential for prices to decrease with advancing technology. Ultimately, the decision between a Palm or Pocket PC comes down to personal preference and intended usage. One person expresses their love for their Pocket PC and its various functions, including checking emails and using MSN while on the toilet.
yu_wing_sin
Do you like Palm or Pocket PC? Which do you think is the best?

The Pocket PC has better performance and interface, but its softwares are larger than palm's many times.
The palm is cheap and don't cost much memory in softwares, also it don't require much efficacy in CPU, and it has the largest number of softwares in the market of mobile OSs.

Although that, I hope to buy Pocket PC, its intersface and multimedia performance are very brilliant, not other OSs can challenge.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I would go to the store and play around with both and see which one you like. This is more of a personal preference than anything else.

dduardo said:
I would go to the store and play around with both and see which one you like. This is more of a personal preference than anything else.
Thank you very much. Why don't you buy a PDA? That is helpful and fun in life, working and study. Soon I save enough money, I will go to buy it. If the woman comes as soon as possible, that is great.

I've always maintained that the best PDA is the one you currently own. Like dduardo said, it's personal preference.

PDAs are still at the stage where your choice of Operating system can largely be decided by the application(s) you want/need to use. I use and prefer PalmOS and the programs I use on my PDA happen to be Palm only, so it works out for me.

I own an older model which saved me quite a bit at the time of acquisition, because I have no need for extremely high resolution, .mp3, telephonic, or bluetooth accessories.

Dngrsone said:
I've always maintained that the best PDA is the one you currently own. Like dduardo said, it's personal preference.

PDAs are still at the stage where your choice of Operating system can largely be decided by the application(s) you want/need to use. I use and prefer PalmOS and the programs I use on my PDA happen to be Palm only, so it works out for me.

I own an older model which saved me quite a bit at the time of acquisition, because I have no need for extremely high resolution, .mp3, telephonic, or bluetooth accessories.

According to Gartnet research, European and American like simple PDAs, but Japanese and Chinese like high-tech PDA mostly. I prefer a smartphone mostly.

yu_wing_sin said:
According to Gartnet research, European and American like simple PDAs, but Japanese and Chinese like high-tech PDA mostly. I prefer a smartphone mostly.

There are still some trendy American consumers who like high-tech PDAs, though I never really saw the reason for it. The PDA is most useful, at least to me, as an organizational tool to store data about contact information, memos, and as a calendar. If I wanted it to play .mp3s, I'll just use my cd player, no need having to spend more money for things that I will rarely use.

Anyways, some of the super-high-tech stuff can run upwards of $300-500 U.S. dollars. The best thing to do is just to wait until the technology becomes more prevalent, so prices will gradually fall.

PalmOS is a fairly reliable architecture for a PDA, I haven't really had any problems or had to hard reset the unit because of a software glitch.

I bought one of those super-high-tech organizers years back and haven't used it since. Once the cool factor wore off it became a paper weight. If I could go back and change my decision I would have definitely bought with a palm.

I absolutely love my Pocket PC. It's just so useful! The built-in apps are pretty handy, I can review my emails on the way to work, view photos straight from my camera, and backup the entire contents of my phone. I've got a UK road atlas on it, can keep track of all the deadlines I've got on, as well as all the usual calendary emaily type stuff.

Oh, and I can go on MSN while I'm having a poo. That novelty still hasn't worn off yet.

brewnog said:
Oh, and I can go on MSN while I'm having a poo. That novelty still hasn't worn off yet.

Are you sure you didn't mean that the novelty of pooping on MSN hasn't worn off yet?

1. Do you prefer Palm or Pocket PC for your research?

As a scientist, my preference would depend on the specific needs of my research. Both Palm and Pocket PC have their own advantages and disadvantages, and it ultimately boils down to personal preference and compatibility with the research tools and software being used.

2. Which one has better battery life, Palm or Pocket PC?

Pocket PC generally has a longer battery life compared to Palm. However, this can also vary depending on the specific models and usage patterns.

3. Is it easier to find compatible scientific software for Palm or Pocket PC?

Both Palm and Pocket PC have a wide range of compatible scientific software available. However, it is important to carefully research and compare the features and compatibility of different software before making a decision.

4. Are Palm or Pocket PC more user-friendly for data collection and analysis?

This would depend on the specific software and tools being used for data collection and analysis. Some may find Palm more user-friendly, while others may prefer Pocket PC. It is best to test out both and see which one works best for your needs.

5. Which one is more durable, Palm or Pocket PC?

This again depends on the specific models and usage patterns. However, Pocket PC tends to have a more durable build compared to Palm, as it is designed to withstand more rigorous usage and handling.