Do you need a masters degree in Physics to be a Professor?

In summary: Not really. You're free to switch to a different program later on if you decide you want to.The disadvantage of a direct-entry PhD program is that you are locked in to that program, but you can switch to another program later on.A direct-entry PhD program is disadvantageous because you are locked in.
Karimspencer
Will not having a masters degree lower my chances to be a professor in physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not if you have a PhD.

It also depends on the country. In the US one often either takes a Phd or a Masters as a result of graduate school. In many other countries you first take a Master's degree before beginning your Phd, so then you will need a Master's degree to be able to get to Professor's level (this is quite common in European countries as far as I know).

But strictly speaking, I guess the answer to your question is no.

Edit: I might be wrong about the US, maybe one takes both a masters and a Phd in graduate school? (I'm not american myself so I've never been in contact with the US system.)

Integral said:
Not if you have a PhD.

I know that you need a PhD but people say it's better to have a Masters but I feel it's a waste of time if you don't need one to be a professor.

Lets say if 2 people are applying for a tenure track job, one has a PhD and a masters and the other just has a PhD. Will the first one have a better chance of getting in?

You earn a masters in most phd programs on the way to getting a phd

dh363 said:
You earn a masters in most phd programs on the way to getting a phd

In the US, this is true. In most other countries, masters and PhD are separate steps, and you have to get a masters before you get a PhD.

Last edited:
A master's?

I don't know of any examples where someone who didn't have a PhD could get a faculty position. A master's isn't good enough as far as I know.

Then again, I'm thinking of a university professor. Maybe it's different for someone who is just hired for a lecturer position, or someone teaching at a community college? But I don't think these are called professors

Wow, I had no idea that you could go straight into a PhD from a bachelors. I always thought you had to go bachelors->masters->PhD. Why is that (at least the people I know) everyone gets a masters and then a PhD? Is it the reason that jtbell states?

cepheid said:
A master's?

I don't know of any examples where someone who didn't have a PhD could get a faculty position. A master's isn't good enough as far as I know.

Then again, I'm thinking of a university professor. Maybe it's different for someone who is just hired for a lecturer position, or someone teaching at a community college? But I don't think these are called professors

I meant should I get a Masters before getting a PhD (Of course I am going to get a PhD)

-edit-
I see where the misunderstanding is.

Karimspencer said:
I meant should I get a Masters before getting a PhD (Of course I am going to get a PhD)

If you're in a PhD program, you should certainly file for a M.S. after you're qualified for it. It won't cost you anything excess, and if you drop out for any reason (your research takes too long, you run out of funds, etc.), at least you end up with a contingency and not nothing. Of course, having it won't increase your chances at professorship, because once you have a PhD, it pretty much nullifies your Masters. A Masters is a milestone that all PhD's must pass, so whether or not it is a reality on paper is futile.

By the way, don't waste your effort on a physics M.S. program if you're in the US. Masters students mostly don't have stipends; it's not worth it. If you only, do it in engineering, and don't become a professor or a physicist.

Last edited:
dustbin said:
Wow, I had no idea that you could go straight into a PhD from a bachelors. I always thought you had to go bachelors->masters->PhD. Why is that (at least the people I know) everyone gets a masters and then a PhD? Is it the reason that jtbell states?

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3982389&postcount=5

Karimspencer said:

Oh ok. This was not clear to me *at all* from the thread title or the OP. Your wording suggested to me that you were asking whether a master's was a sufficient condition for a faculty job (as opposed to merely a necessary condition).

Some phd programs are direct-entry and don't require a master's first. Others aren't. Each one had pros and cons. In my program, which is direct-entry, if you complete your course requirements and your two short-term research projects, and you decide then to drop out of the program (or are forced out because you fail your quals), then you are awarded a master's automatically.

So the argument that a direct-entry phd program is disadvantageous because it locks you into academia doesn't hold in this case. If you decide after your first year that the academic path isn't for you, you can drop out and obtain a graduate degree that is hopefully somewhat marketable in industry.

Thank you everybody for your feedback.

What I know in particulary Denmark, we have Bachelor, and then we can choose to have a candidate. After that you can pick either Masters or PhD. I think that's the way. I'm very unsure though.

1. What is a masters degree in Physics?

A masters degree in Physics is an advanced degree that typically requires 2-3 years of study beyond a bachelor's degree. It focuses on specific topics within the field of physics and often includes research and thesis work.

2. Is a masters degree in Physics necessary to become a Professor?

In most cases, yes. Many universities require professors to have a masters degree or higher in the field they are teaching. This is because a masters degree provides in-depth knowledge and expertise in a specific area of physics, which is necessary for teaching at the collegiate level.

3. Can you become a Professor with just a bachelors degree in Physics?

It is possible to become a professor with just a bachelors degree in physics, but it is rare. This typically only happens in cases where a person has extensive research experience or has made significant contributions to the field. In most cases, a masters degree or higher is required for a professorship.

4. What other qualifications are needed to become a Professor besides a masters degree in Physics?

In addition to a masters degree in Physics, other qualifications that are necessary to become a Professor include a strong research background, teaching experience, and excellent communication and leadership skills. Many universities also require professors to have a PhD in the field they are teaching.

5. Can a masters degree in Physics be obtained while working as a Professor?

Yes, it is possible to obtain a masters degree in Physics while working as a Professor. Many universities offer part-time or online programs for working professionals. However, it may take longer to complete the degree while juggling teaching responsibilities. It is important to check with the specific university and program for their requirements and flexibility.