Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do you read your own replies?

1. Mar 24, 2005 #1
    Just a simpel question really. What do you feel when you read your own replies to a thread?

Personally i think 'aw S**t. I've made a fool o'myself!' and get angry at my dog.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2005 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I do because I am stunned and awed by the sheer genius of my own work... :uhh:

No, really... I have to because my memory sucks. The only way that I can keep track of what's going on is to keep going back and rereading all recent posts (not just my own). :redface:

4. Mar 24, 2005 #3
    a dumbass reply ignoring your actual post:

no, I type with my eyes shut.

5. Mar 24, 2005 #4
    Yeah I usually try to read my replies before I post them, but it never works that way. It is like I do not take anything seriously until it is actually there. Then I think, ohh where is that edit button.

6. Mar 24, 2005 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sometimes I create replies that I'm rather proud of, and I will indeed read them over again later -- not out of hubris, but out of a desire to see my own shortcomings. It's rather like a teacher reading over his/her notes every semester, hoping to improve them.

- Warren

7. Mar 24, 2005 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since I have a bad habbit of slamming out responses when I don't have the time, I often go back to proof and correct errors later. On a few occasions it was found that little things like the word "not" were left out, which really changed the nature of my post. :surprised

8. Mar 24, 2005 #7
    Once or twice I've had the experience of reading one of my own replies without realizing it was my reply. I was all thinking about and going "hmm," then I noticed the name in the upper left. (I was tired)

9. Mar 24, 2005 #8

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I always proof-read anything I post immediately after posting it. I'm usually rather amazed at how insightful and intelligent I am (and unlike the rest of you, I'm willing to admit it).

10. Mar 24, 2005 #9

SOS2008

Gold Member

Yes, and for such a young-un too. :smile:

11. Mar 24, 2005 #10

SOS2008

Gold Member

So if someone likes to read and re-read their own posts, like re-living the moment, should we call this the Domer Effect? :rofl: I already spend WAY too much time on the PF, and surf around between threads trying to keep up. Who has time to re-read? Oh, and I have ADD (Lord only knows what I've said :redface:).

12. Mar 24, 2005 #11

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Don't read anything I've written less than fifteen minutes after I post it: chances are, I'm still editing/refining it.

13. Mar 25, 2005 #12

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

I've plotted the data points and hypothesized I would be wise to refrain from posting after 7 GMT.

14. Mar 25, 2005 #13

matthyaouw

Gold Member

If someone takes issue with something I've said, it often helps to re-read what I've said to remind myself how I worded my original point before replying.
    Its also easier to check for spelling & grammar errors a while afterwards, when its not so fresh in my mind.

15. Mar 25, 2005 #14

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I once did a google search on something (don't recall the topic), found a likely looking link, without paying much attention, followed to ... Here.. and one of my own posts! Scary!

16. Mar 25, 2005 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, I've had similar experiences. I've learned not to try to answer questions in the biology forum after midnight; I stick with GD when I'm suffering insomnia.

I do sometimes reread my own posts. Most often I end up doing so when someone else comments on it and I need to remind myself what I wrote (do you really think I remember everything I post around here more than 5 min after it's been transmitted from my fingertips to keyboard?)

17. Mar 25, 2005 #16

Danger

Gold Member

No kidding! What with you and the rest of my harem popping from one thread to another like Nightcrawler on bennies, and taking chunks of the threads with you, you've got me totally flummoxed and running in 6 directions at once. (That's pretty good, considering there are only 3 of you.) I'm really going to have to consider keeping you confined at night. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?