Do you support legalisation of marijuana?

• News
  • Thread starter kasse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Support
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of legalizing marijuana and the potential reasons for why college-educated individuals are more likely to support it. The conversation also touches on the issue of whether habitual use of marijuana is a detriment to society and the potential consequences of legalization.
Physics news on Phys.org

This is just a guess, but I think it has more to do with age than education. The percentage of people who have attended college in the baby boomers and beyond is much higher than for earlier generations. I believe that the younger people are the more likely they are to support legalizing weed. The real dividing line (I believe) is at about 60 years of age. The people above 60 are almost 100% against legalizing weed from my observations. These folk see weed as a hippie thing which is a threat politically and socially. The people below 60 are increasingly more likely to have smoked weed and discovered for themselves that it is basically harmless (or at least no more harmful than cigs or drink).

As the old folk die off, support for legalization will inch upward until it finally becomes a majority and after that legalization will soon follow.

I think you've got a point regarding age. However, I also think education is a factor because educated people tend to be more reflected. They understand that it's not as simple as "Drugs are potentially dangerous, therefore it must be illegal".

Would alcohol have been illegal if it had been invented today?

I can be persuaded to consider de-criminalization of THC related drugs but I don't think we're ready for it to be sold in the beer store.

Let's also point out how well prohibition has worked!
Hmm, 70 years, and we are still getting no where, yet spending billions upon billions of dollars!
Makes sense to me!

I'm on the fence on this one. Personally, I used to smoke a lot in my late teens. But I ended up not liking it much. I found it to severly affect my ambition as a maturing adult. When I was "stoned" I didn't much care about doing anything. I grew up with the bowl burning crowd and I don't a know a single one that amounted to anything significant to this day. Not that there can't be exceptions but I come to the opinion that habitual digestion of THC is a detriment to professional development. I do not personally know a single successful habitual pot smoker.

As far as making it legal, sure, a responsible adult should be able to pursue happiness in whatever fashion that isn't a detriment to another. But is habitual use of marijuana a detriment to society? In my experience, it is.

drankin said:
I grew up with the bowl burning crowd and I don't a know a single one that amounted to anything significant to this day. .
The problem with saying this, is the fact that the majority of people, smokers or not, don't amount to anything significant.

Also, there are millions of people who already smoke. Prohibition has not stopped them. We should stop punishing them, for trying to find a way to relax, and enjoy themselves.

Martini said:
The problem with saying this, is the fact that the majority of people, smokers or not, don't amount to anything significant.

Also, there are millions of people who already smoke. Prohibition has not stopped them. We should stop punishing them, for trying to find a way to relax, and enjoy themselves.

My point is, yes, there are millions who smoke. None of which that I presonally know are successful adults. Yes, they are relaxing and enjoying themselves. None that I personally know, and I know a few, are successful or ambitious people. In my own experience with my previous use and those that I know that use is that their ambition to achieve in life is completely zapped. And it makes sense. If you are stoned on an almost daily basis, life is great. No need to do anything significant and contribute to the community.

Anything on a daily basis is bad.
Someone getting drunk on a daily basis, is bad.
But once, or twice a week, it's not terrible.
And I will agree with you that smoking pot on a daily basis isn't the greatest.
But how are these people not contributing to society?
They must have jobs. Even if they aren't the greatest, like a janitor, or such.
They are still contributing.

drankin said:
If you are stoned on an almost daily basis, life is great. No need to do anything significant and contribute to the community.
If you believe a person has an obligation to "do something significant" for the rest of us, that might be a basis for prohibition. Otherwise, it's not relevant to the issue.

drankin said:
I'm on the fence on this one. Personally, I used to smoke a lot in my late teens. But I ended up not liking it much. I found it to severly affect my ambition as a maturing adult. When I was "stoned" I didn't much care about doing anything. I grew up with the bowl burning crowd and I don't a know a single one that amounted to anything significant to this day. Not that there can't be exceptions but I come to the opinion that habitual digestion of THC is a detriment to professional development. I do not personally know a single successful habitual pot smoker.

As far as making it legal, sure, a responsible adult should be able to pursue happiness in whatever fashion that isn't a detriment to another. But is habitual use of marijuana a detriment to society? In my experience, it is.

Agreed, and how I see it that's no different than someone who drinks alcohol (to the point of intoxication) on a daily basis. Except maybe that drinking alcohol like that destroys your body.

My point is, yes, there are millions who smoke. None of which that I presonally know are successful adults. Yes, they are relaxing and enjoying themselves. None that I personally know, and I know a few, are successful or ambitious people. In my own experience with my previous use and those that I know that use is that their ambition to achieve in life is completely zapped.

I know many people who use/d cannabis and became extremely successful, mostly artists and academics. Perhaps cannabis did not cause your crowd to have low ambition, perhaps they were attracted to "illegal drugs" because they had low ambition in the first place. The people I am talking about all had some degree of genius with or without the cannabis use, and through its use they became more motivated and more brilliant. These men didn't watch TV or movies, and they didn't spend as much time on women as young men normally would, but they were dedicated to mastering their fields of endeavor.

Obviously what I have described is an obscure part of the general population, and does not in itself argue that the drug should be legalized for all. But clearly people like those that I am describing do not deserve to be put in prison for using cannabis. In practice this is not a problem, now they all live in states with Medical Marijuana laws and have licenses. I think the physician licensing system is appropriate, mj is essentially a prescription drug. I do however wish that the doctors could provide mj outright to licensed patients, that there were more cannabis clubs in states other than california, and that the federal prohibition which supercedes state laws would end.

Al68 said:
If you believe a person has an obligation to "do something significant" for the rest of us, that might be a basis for prohibition. Otherwise, it's not relevant to the issue.

Good point, and keep in mind that I know a lot of people who watch TV, movies, youtube, read low-brow fiction stories, etc all of which take away time from doing something significant. All of the brilliant potheads I know eschew those forms of "entertainment" that so many Americans waste so much time on, and instead spend their time in the world of ideas.

kasse said:
http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle_blog/2007/nov/05/study_college_educated_people_ar

You don't have to be a hippie or an unreflected nutcase to support legalisation. On the website I linked to you can find many arguments in favor of legalisation.

Why do you thing educated people are more likely to support it?
Educated people are not more likely to support it.

I will allow only discussion of the legalization issue. No posts, such as the above, about you or someone else using the drug or speculation of supposed results of such usage will be allowed.

Civilized said:
Good point, and keep in mind that I know a lot of people who watch TV, movies, youtube, read low-brow fiction stories, etc all of which take away time from doing something significant. All of the brilliant potheads I know eschew those forms of "entertainment" that so many Americans waste so much time on, and instead spend their time in the world of ideas.

Ouch, that's a punch to the nether regions (as a practising procrastinator).

Anywho, in terms of what "educated" people believe I think the point has already been made that educated vs. non-educated is probably the wrong way to draw the proverbial line in the sand. I, for one, consider myself educated (take that for what it's worth) and I've certainly done some weed, although it's never been for me. However, I am a proponent of legalising a number of drugs. I think it'd be difficult to argue that the current division between illegal and legal drugs has come from a place of pharmacological analysis (morphine legal, heroin not, alcohol legal, weed not, ritalin legal, speed not). Furthermore, I understand and, in many cases, support the desire to change ones mood, perception, outlook. I wager that there are very few amongst us who cannot lay claim to some treasured memory or encounter that probably would not have been possible without some form of "social lubrication" and the correlation between what we call "artistic genius" and substance abuse is difficult to deny. Plus, from the perspective of neuro-pharmacology I think we're coming to understand that things like "athleticism" and even "self-rightousness" are a form of drug addiction, although good luck getting the majority of people to agree to that. Some people have this quasi-religious notion of "wholesome" and "unwholesome" happiness which I find is often used as a parapet from which to toss condemnations of drug use but if you ask me that's a whole lot of bull. However, I think, in the end, the pharmacological debate, which is often pushed to the forefront in the press, is comparitively meaningless.

Ultimately I think the war on drugs and substance abuse is not a battle on pharmacology and neuroscience but a battle on cultural. Many drugs that are now illegal were legal at one time or another and yet civilization as we know it did not crumble and die. Most of europe has significantly laxer laws on legal drinking age than north america (and as a Canadian I think a drinking age of 21 is absolutely ridiculous) and yet europe manages to magically do quite well for itself despite the suggestions to the contrary from america's puritan right wing. I mean, let's face it, the arsenal for attack in drug debates has never been comprehensive analysis of statistic on the benefit of drug users (including occasional) to society, often a statistic is simply thrown up stating the number of drug users and it is taken as a poor assumption that all these people (or rather a greater percentage of these people than the non-drug using public) are a useless lout.

Anywho, I think the biggest note of caution on the legalization issue has already been stated. Whenever we legalize something that was legal before you're going to see a glut of abuse. Whether it be legalization or maijuana or a teenager reaching drinking age. However, I don't see how you can chuck this up to anything other than culture and psychology. People will abuse the opportunity to partake of the forbidden, especially in the short term after it becomes freely available once becoming unforbidden.

In conclusion, I am not an illegal drug user but I support its legalization. Now excuse me while I get another beer.

Last edited:
Martini said:
While this isn't a major point, I found this interesting: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/04/22/email_destroys_iq/
The Register isn't a reliable source. There is no link to any supposed *studies* and the last two sentences pretty much verifies my suspicion that the article was a joke. "lossage" isn't even a word. OY.

The medium has nothing to do with the content. Do scratch pads and post it notes destroy intelligence? Do highlighter pens lower intelligence?

That I know.
I heard about this study in school, as many people my age have a texting problem.
This is the only one I can find, there is another website, but I just can't find it :p

Martini said:
While this isn't a major point, I found this interesting: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/04/22/email_destroys_iq/

I love these articles that make some inflammatory, broad sweeping, claim and can't even spare a sentence or two to describe what this supposed alarming study ACTUALLY SHOWED in terms of results much less an actual link to the relevant paper.

Evo said:
Do highlighter pens lower intelligence?

Maybe if you sniff them.

Ok, I made a bad point.

Anyway, I would like hear Evo's perspective on this:smile:

Will a simple 'yes' do, or am I then an unreflected nutcase?

Martini said:
Ok, I made a bad point.

Anyway, I would like hear Evo's perspective on this:smile:
I was only responding to the article. I think maverick's post pretty much sums up my take on the quality of the article.

Like I said, it's not the medium, it's what you choose to do with it. An intelligent person is not going to lose that intelligence because of any particular option of communicating.

I used to be almost militantly for the legalization of marijuana, and I'm still confused by the ridiculous double standard of legalized alcohol but I've had a lot of experience with drugs of all kinds and I've come to learn that they are all just far too dangerous for your average person to be exposed to.

I'm certainly not against their use, but to make them legal makes them morally acceptable and I believe it would be enough to tear the nation apart. I'm talking about "hard" drugs here... not marijuana. I'm currently completely addicted to weed and it just plain sucks. I had this stupid idea that weed wasn't so infectiously addictive as anything else (I now realize that any chemical compound can create addiction and withdrawal. Even laxatives.) so I just went all out. For a long time I was stoned 24 hours a day. When it came time that I had to quit I realized that I couldn't... I got cravings just as powerful as I have with cigarettes. I made it happen out of necessity but I've seen too many people lose themselves to drugs to think that most people would have the will power necessary to do so. And I did relapse as soon as I possibly could.

It's not the addiction factor that puts me against legalization so much as the nature of the drug. I know from experience that it destroys ambition and motivation... even when you're not on it if you use it habitually. It's pretty easy to get through the day ripped out of your head without people noticing if you're experienced enough, unlike alcohol... so I can see every other high school student out there toking up over lunch break and zoning out through class. Before they know it high school will be over... or they'll give up on it because they haven't done a thing and they're facing failure anyway.

There's still a certain stigma surrounding marijuana for a lot of young people (WAY more of them drink alcohol, and act as though it's better) due to the fact that it's illegal and it should stay that way. There are enough drugged up welfare addicts in this country as it is.

P.S.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opium_Wars

Marijuana is obviously not opium. Not by a long shot. But a drug culture can do nothing but harm to our society.

Last edited by a moderator:
It simply is not up to society at large to determine through violence and other means, what an individual can or can not consume in privacy.

If heroin where legal and our nation tore itself apart in a haze of opiate bliss, it would be a result of our society's lack of education, motivation, quality of life, etc... not because smack won't send you to the slammer.

That we must use extreme force to attempt to prevent the widespread use of hard drugs is a reflection of the failures of the society. Huge numbers of people should not feel the need to bury themselves into full dependence upon chemical alterations of their bodies that slowly kill them.

There may still be an argument for keeping extremely addictive and poisionous substances Scheduled, as far as marijuana goes, it is the same issue as alcohol, cigs, etc...: Partially control the sale and distribution, disassemble and prevent the formation of black markets, and tax the hell out of it.

Incodentally, the best argument that one can use against it's legallization is the carcinogenic properties of the smoke. But this is a non-issue on more than one level. Firstly, the government can not tell people that they are not allowed to give themselves cancer. Secondly: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17429350" [Broken]

Vaporization of the cannabis material bypasses this issue all together. This technique is not a novel one.

Last edited by a moderator:
tchitt said:
I'm certainly not against their use, but to make them legal makes them morally acceptable...
Is there a basis for this? Is using force to impose moral standards a legitimate role of government? Is choosing not to use force against my fellow man the same as endorsing his actions?

I'd be interested to learn more about the social and political impact on the large scale perspective. One thing I have noticed is that pot smokers may be less likely to join the military. More likely to be an activist, less likely to actually enter into politics or formal debate. It's like pot smokers are more rebellious yet less likely to rebel, in my opinion. It is interesting, as if smoking pot makes you less apathetic in talk, and more apathetic in action. This could just be my isolated observation, everyone is different, but from where I stand this is how it seams.

Who can give us an objective benefit analysis of the status quo vs legalization?

I support it. Worst its ever done for me is having a piece of leaf get sucked into my mouth
and hitting the back of my throat. Now that hurts.

I don't think legalization would make more people smoke pot.
It would just stop putting innocent people in jail.

Martini said:
I don't think legalization would make more people smoke pot.
It would just stop putting innocent people in jail.
Innocent people are not being put in jail (generally), they are guilty under the current law. It would just make the activities that are now illegal, legal...converting guilty people to innocent.

russ_watters said:
Innocent people are not being put in jail (generally), they are guilty under the current law. It would just make the activities that are now illegal, legal...converting guilty people to innocent.

My thought also...the crime they're committing may be minor in the minds of most people, but it's still illegal. They are therefore breaking the law. And it's not like they don't realize it at the time.

I'm not saying I agree that it should be illegal. But people who partake must realize the risk that they're taking. I just find it hard to believe anyone thinks that it's worth the risk!

the cost of stupid law enforcement is very high
both in cash cost and other effects
wastes time and efforts of the cops that should be chasing real harmful crime
people get killed by cops in drug raids,
property stolen by legal BS
and high legal fees can result
not to mention high cost of jail prison and probation systems
and those systems are over taxed so work very less as well as they could
it also put pot smokers in contact with other drugs
and people outside the laws
it also leads to contempt for unjust laws
and that leads to contempt for the system and other laws

end the war on drugs
like all war nobody wins
many get hurt
some die

give peace a chance
it can't be worse then the current drug war

I would be much more willing to take part in an innocuous activity that I may or may not normally, precisely because it was made illegal.

Dissent is almost always worth the risk.

russ_watters said:

My thought also...the crime they're committing may be minor in the minds of most people, but it's still illegal. They are therefore breaking the law. And it's not like they don't realize it at the time.

For those of us who support moving closer to legalization, these kind of opinions just drive home the arbitrary non-ethical nature of laws in a democracy, and make us lose faith in the government, both it's particular incarnation and the general form (e.g. I believe democracy is a terrible form of government, and our drug laws are one of the contributing reasons why I feel no gratitude or obligations to the government of the USA).

<h2>1. What are the potential health risks associated with marijuana use?</h2><p>There are several potential health risks associated with marijuana use, including respiratory problems, impaired cognitive function, and increased risk of mental health disorders. However, more research is needed to fully understand the long-term effects of marijuana use.</p><h2>2. How does legalisation of marijuana impact crime rates?</h2><p>There is evidence to suggest that legalisation of marijuana can lead to a decrease in crime rates, as it reduces the illegal market for the drug. However, more research is needed to fully understand the relationship between marijuana legalisation and crime rates.</p><h2>3. Can marijuana be used for medicinal purposes?</h2><p>Yes, there is growing evidence that marijuana can be used for medicinal purposes to treat a variety of conditions, such as chronic pain, epilepsy, and nausea. However, more research is needed to fully understand the potential benefits and risks of using marijuana for medicinal purposes.</p><h2>4. How does legalisation of marijuana impact the economy?</h2><p>Legalisation of marijuana can have a positive impact on the economy, as it creates new jobs and generates tax revenue. However, there are also costs associated with regulating and enforcing marijuana laws, so the overall economic impact may vary depending on the specific policies in place.</p><h2>5. What are the potential benefits of legalising marijuana?</h2><p>Some potential benefits of legalising marijuana include reducing the burden on the criminal justice system, providing access to a potentially safer and regulated product, and generating tax revenue. It may also reduce the stigma associated with marijuana use and allow for more research on the drug.</p>

1. What are the potential health risks associated with marijuana use?

There are several potential health risks associated with marijuana use, including respiratory problems, impaired cognitive function, and increased risk of mental health disorders. However, more research is needed to fully understand the long-term effects of marijuana use.

2. How does legalisation of marijuana impact crime rates?

There is evidence to suggest that legalisation of marijuana can lead to a decrease in crime rates, as it reduces the illegal market for the drug. However, more research is needed to fully understand the relationship between marijuana legalisation and crime rates.

3. Can marijuana be used for medicinal purposes?

Yes, there is growing evidence that marijuana can be used for medicinal purposes to treat a variety of conditions, such as chronic pain, epilepsy, and nausea. However, more research is needed to fully understand the potential benefits and risks of using marijuana for medicinal purposes.

4. How does legalisation of marijuana impact the economy?

Legalisation of marijuana can have a positive impact on the economy, as it creates new jobs and generates tax revenue. However, there are also costs associated with regulating and enforcing marijuana laws, so the overall economic impact may vary depending on the specific policies in place.

5. What are the potential benefits of legalising marijuana?

Some potential benefits of legalising marijuana include reducing the burden on the criminal justice system, providing access to a potentially safer and regulated product, and generating tax revenue. It may also reduce the stigma associated with marijuana use and allow for more research on the drug.