Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do you take pictures?

1. Sep 14, 2005 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

So how many people here actually take a lot of pictures? It seems like EVERYONE has a digital camera and theres so much digital camera crap with printers and such on the market.... but I don't know anyone who actively takes a lot of pictures. Sure maybe a few a month... but no one seems to take a lot of pictures yet everyone has a digital camera (and many many newer 3MP+ cameras... not just ones they got back in the day and still have around)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2005 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My digital camera was one of the earlier ones, so it's big and clunky and doesn't take great pictures, and eats batteries like crazy, so I don't use it very often. Most times when I'm doing something that's picture-worthy, I'm having too much fun and forget to take pictures. I do want to get a new camera though. If I had one small enough to drop in my purse when I go places, I might take more pictures.

4. Sep 14, 2005 #3
    i have a webcam, and i take loads of pictures with that, sadly, i'm confined to my bedroom... or the reaches of my laptop. If i had a nice camera... wow, what pictures i could take then!

5. Sep 14, 2005 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Gosh your living in the stone age :D

They got ones that fit in the palm of your hands. My mother got a 6MP one thatsbasically a little bit bigger then a credit card and about as thick as those stupid cell phones EVERYONE has by motorola.... lil thinner actually.

Unless your purse is like, 3" wide.... therse a camera out there for you :D

6. Sep 14, 2005 #5

JamesU

Gold Member

moonbear, get a new camera, trust me. :wink:

7. Sep 14, 2005 #6
    Umm, ehh, hmm, let's see that thing live :tongue2:

8. Sep 14, 2005 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, I know they make them, that's what I want...well, not quite credit card sized; I'd worry I'd snap it in half. :biggrin: They're not exactly cheap, and I'm not one to drop a few hundred bucks on something like a camera (the one I currently have was given to me as a gift, or I probably wouldn't have that either). I'm really seriously thinking about it now though, but just need time to decide which one I want...with something that expensive, I won't just buy the first shiny new thing I see. I want one with a decent quality optical zoom, long battery life, and I think those 5 MP cameras are more than I would ever need, so I'm going to wait for them to come out with more 6 MP cameras and I'll buy a 5 MP when they're cheaper.

Oh, but I'm catching up with technology...I'm finally going to get cable TV. :tongue: Just the very basic broadcast service because I can't get decent reception on rabbit ears here. And I have my cable modem all ready to get my cable internet at the same time. :biggrin: Now if my neighbors would just keep their damned airport on just one channel so I can set mine to not get interference, I'd be much happier. I don't know what the heck they are doing that their airport blinks on and off every 10 min or so, and seems to find a different channel every time, so every few times they hit my channel I think and my connection slows to a crawl. :grumpy: I'm thinking of renaming my base station to "I'm on Channel 1" to see if they figure it out since I don't know which neighbor it is yet. :rofl:

9. Sep 14, 2005 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ooh, are you buying? :biggrin:

10. Sep 14, 2005 #9
    I have a camera, it is not digital but a video one.

11. Sep 14, 2005 #10
    I can't wait till they come out with The Enterprise Tricorder. This would be a phone/camera/video/radio/television/GPS/internet/movie/music thingy.

12. Sep 14, 2005 #11
    Just remember, it's not the resolution that counts, it's the quality of the image produced. The only thing a 7MP camera would be good for is zooming in on your picture on your computer. I would much rather have a 2MP camera with really good optics and sensors than a crappy vivitar 7MP.

Fujifilm has came out with a new type of sensor which is really just awesome. They will start coming out with more and more cameras with them included. Before you buy any camera, make sure to look at pictures taken by that actual camera. www.dpreview.com is a really good website.

13. Sep 14, 2005 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Doesn't it also do some basic medical diagnostics? Yep, when they come out with one of those, I might finally decide it's worth spending my money on that. :biggrin:

14. Sep 14, 2005 #13
    Oh yeah, I forgot. It could easily be rigged to do blood pressure, pulse, skin conductance (a rudimentary lie detector) and prolly glucose level.

15. Sep 14, 2005 #14
    Maybe a little radar unit, too.

16. Sep 14, 2005 #15

Mk

This summer I took about 200 I think.

17. Sep 15, 2005 #16

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I used to take a ton of pictures, but I never used a digital camera. In fact, I rarely even developed the pictures. I have bags of used rolls of film stuffed in my closet still waiting to be developed. It was mostly because I was living sort of a hobo lifestyle for a couple years moving around the country a lot, taking road trips all the time and seeing all these places, having these fun times, and I felt like I had to document it all. I really haven't had any desire since to revisit them visually, though - my memories are vivid enough that it didn't really matter.

18. Sep 15, 2005 #17
    Digital cameras rule (to indulge in an expression the young folks use) because they allow you to instantly view and delete any shot. No more are you lumbered forever with all the negatives of shots you don't care for. And a huge number of shots can be stored on a very small card.

19. Sep 15, 2005 #18
    i take a looot of pictures and amateur videos...(mostly wildlife and nature stuff)
    My Dad influence on me has been very great..
    i use use my 35mm and my digital handycam(with 1MG Pixel stills)..

20. Sep 15, 2005 #19

Tsu

Gold Member

I take pictures for a living (xrays and CAT scans) so it's not something I usually do on the outside for enjoyment.

21. Sep 15, 2005 #20

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have taken close to 1000 pics this summer, (850Mb@~2MB each in Ireland alone).

I have a 5MP camera with some reasonable optics. It does not make much sense to go over 5MP if you do not have decent optics to go with the resolution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?