Do you talk to your neighbours?

• Thread starter pitot-tube
  • Start date
Back home I talked to all of my neighbours. But here in the city I really don't, I've tried striking up a conversation with some of the people that live in my building and they usually just stare at you with this "dear god she is trying to talk to me look" and then walk away without saying anything back. There are only really a handful of people in my building that are nice pleasant people.

a good time to meet and talk to neighbors is when they have garage/yard sales---if you live in 'neighborhoods'

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Back home I talked to all of my neighbours. But here in the city I really don't, I've tried striking up a conversation with some of the people that live in my building and they usually just stare at you with this "dear god she is trying to talk to me look" and then walk away without saying anything back. There are only really a handful of people in my building that are nice pleasant people.
I've noticed that in large and small cities, although in Houston, the neighbors were generally friendly.

Perhaps it's the large variety of people and some inherent fear of strangers, or folks who aren't settled. Some well-established neighborhoods seem more friendly than those which have a greater turnover in population.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
a good time to meet and talk to neighbors is when they have garage/yard sales---if you live in 'neighborhoods'
If you live in a neighborhood where people aren't wealthy enough to hire landscapers, a good time to meet people is in the spring and summer when they're out doing yardwork. If you live in a well-to-do neighborhood, it's a good time to meet their gardeners and landscapers. :rolleyes:

a friend (and his wife) in one of the nicer 'hoods' have luncheons, planning events for common areas, garden parties, etc. --invitation by door to door flyers. I guess that could be done in apartments settings too.

No. They annoy the hell out of me with their surround sound and their screaming brat of a child. I hate them.

No. They annoy the hell out of me with their surround sound and their screaming brat of a child. I hate them.
do you live three houses to the north of me?

do you live three houses to the north of me?
If you live in Dover and go to UNH, then maybe :)