Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do you think Dolly the sheep is a fake?

1. Oct 23, 2004 #1
    Do you think Dolly the sheep is a fake??

Dolly the sheep was claimed to be the first mammal cloned from an adult DNA. But critics thought Dolly might be a fake because of the many reasons. Read the news http://www.nytimes.com/learning/general/specials/cloning/013098sci-cloning.html
    What do you guys think? Is Dolly fake, or is it real?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2004 #2
    I'd be inclined to think Dolly was really. Too much information about her was given out and the process of cloning is even studied in schools now. Of course, believing society because of the majority view point is rarely a good stance. I'm just leaning towards Dolly having been real anyway.
  4. Oct 23, 2004 #3
    I'm too lazy to read any articles, but unfortunately [for others] not too lazy to avoid replying....

The first time I saw a photo of the sheep they call Dolly I finally understood all those boot jokes.
  5. Oct 23, 2004 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Oct 23, 2004 #5
    Still it leaves for good jokes to rib scientists.
    Here come on out to my farm, I swear I developed a mass cloning technique. Every year I clone a few more sheep. Look at all of these sheep. They all look the same.

I'm pretty sure they did extensive testing on Dolly to prove that she was a clone. Unlike the mysterious cloned baby who would be "protected" by not being shown. And no information would be given about the process or anything regarding the results.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?