1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do you think I should change shcools? The teachers are taking off points for non math

1. Sep 3, 2011 #1
    Points taken off in math and science courses for things that have nothing to do with either math or science

The math teacher will not let you take the quiz if you come to class without your book, because he does not write the questions on the board. He refuses to. Also even if you are just taking his class for fun and you've already passed the course before and your a total pro at solving these kinds of math problems, you still won't be allowed to take the quiz and ace it and show your mathematically ability JUST because you did not bring a math book to school.

At the same school the chemistry teacher takes off a quarter of an exam grade if you don't take 2 of the online quizzes and write a paragraph about yourself to introduce yourself to the rest of the class on her online class discussion forum. She wants to know personal things about you and your hobbies, and if you can't find the link to post it and you get marked down by LOTS of points, by the time she emails back to tell you where the link is the assignment is already due. Pretty sad because this ALSO is a course that is familiar and easy, the chemistry part is down cold and super easy, it's just when they mark you down and tell you that your in danger of failing due to the non chemistry stuff even though she says your actual scores with the stuff related to chemistry are through the roof and perfect.

Someone said the school is doing this to make people retake classes so they can get rich at your expense.

I'm thinking of changing schools.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2011 #2
    Re: Do you think I should change shcools? The teachers are taking off points for non

cool story bro.

4. Sep 3, 2011 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Re: Do you think I should change shcools? The teachers are taking off points for non

Complain to the departments and in the class evaluations. If they're not tenured and students are complaining, they'll change their habits I bet.

5. Sep 3, 2011 #4

Way to be supportive with the backhanded compliment and kick when down. It's a real joy to get a reply from you. Hope to see more of your supportive and helpful posts.

6. Sep 3, 2011 #5

Here's a question: how badly do you want that A? Badly enough to do things like remembering to bring your book, or taking online quizzes? If so, then show it; otherwise, changing schools isn't going to solve your problem.

I agree, "playing the game" can be annoying and seem like a silly waste of time, but if that's what your professor wants from you, that's what you're going to have to do. From what you've said, it doesn't seem like any of your professors are doing anything unreasonable, and certainly nothing outside of their rights as your teachers. Were these expectations (bringing your book to class and completing online exams), along with their associated consequences, made clear to you beforehand?

7. Sep 3, 2011 #6

The game rules are VERY easy. You are right. lol I will play along haha :)

8. Sep 3, 2011 #7

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

To be honest, I'm not sure how why this seems all that unreasonable. I'm guessing you're not yet in university. There, if you forget to bring identification to an exam - you're out of luck. If you don't bring your lab book to certain labs and therefore can't hand it in, you don't get any marks. If you hand in an assignment late - you get la goose egg.

It sounds like the rule has nothing to do with a student's reasons for taking the course. Why would you expect a different set of rules because you've taken the class before? (Not to mention, why bother taking a class you've already taken and become "a pro" at solving the problems of? Why not challenge yourself with something else? To each his own, I guess.)

Again, this doesn't really seem all that unreasonable to me. Maybe the issue lies with how you, and perhaps she, have worded it. If instead, she were to have said, everyone in the class who takes these online quizzes and writes a paragraph profile about themselves will get bumped up a quarter grade, would you be complaining?

In both cases you have teachers who are using marks to reinforce certain behaviour related to the class, but not directly related to the material itself. Have you talked to either one directly about this? It can be important for students to question this kind of thing, but rather than changing schools it might be a lot easier to initiate a dialog with your instructors. Usually, they have reasons for such things - most often to do with the efficient running of the class than making student's lives misterable.

There will always be people who's teaching methods you disagree with. As Leveret said, in academia, you're playing a game - at least to an extent - and not all instructors will play it the way that works best for you.

Some battles are worth fighting. With others, sometimes it's easier just to do what's expected. Where you draw the line between these is something that will define you as a person.

9. Sep 3, 2011 #8

I don't see the problem? Your a college student now, time to take responsibility for your actions. Whats wrong with taking an online quiz and introducing yourself? Its part of the classwork.

Sounds like your making excuses for yourself and should start taking up more responsibilities. Changing colleges won't be any better.

10. Sep 3, 2011 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I feel like taking back what I said earlier. Most of that stuff is perfectly reasonable. The "introduce yourself" thing is a pet peeve for me I suppose. Of course, learning to deal with the BS of people above you is a skill that will always pay off in the end.

11. Sep 4, 2011 #10

I find this stuff annoying as well. I wish there was just exams that mad up your grade. I don't think you should change schools as that is usually quite a hassle. Just try to deal with it. If your test grades are way above the curve then the teacher is likely to ignore it if you don't do the homework or introductions.

12. Sep 4, 2011 #11

Handing in an assignment late is never appropriate, so no need to twist it and make it look like I am expecting that, because no one ever said that was ok. And your also lying by saying that I'm not taking any other more challenging courses. I am taking other more challenging math classes at the same time. It would probably be better to change schools because I only changed to this one to see what it would be like, and the teachers are very sadistic, at the other schools they were caring and treated the students like they depend on the students for a job, but at this school they treat them they way fagan treated oliver twist in the movie Oliver twist. LOL if you can imagine. Like a rag for them to take their aggressions out on. So the other school before is much better. You don't get it also really what I said, so I'll clear one other things up, I did not say I took the same teacher's class before, I meant a took an equivalent course before, so that is why I would except a different set of rules. Capiche???? And I am not wording anything wrong, if you don't believe it, you can see where other people complained about both of these teachers vehemently on Rate my professor. There were no other teachers classes to take at the times when it was convenient to go to school so their classes were the only choice at the time. So if so many of the teachers are bad it's better to go to a different school.

13. Sep 4, 2011 #12

Exactly, Thanks your answer was the most helpful of all of these.

14. Sep 4, 2011 #13

This subforum is a treasure trove of examples of immature and irresponsible behavior. Yours is a distinguished example. This sentence left an impression on me:

You know, that kind of impression an undercooked and bland meal leaves after you leave a cheap buffet dinner.

I would suggest the following:
    Have you tried leaving schools (yes, this is the correct spelling) altogether instead of changing them?

15. Sep 4, 2011 #14

Eh, I actually like the 'introduce yourself' part. It can help make the class a closer community and you get to know a little about other people. I particularly like it in my intro classes because it helps me quickly discern who is in my major and in what specific field; of which I can follow up later to make connections.

EDIT:
    Sensitive to criticism much?

I found it funny Neopet loves the posts that support him and shuns the other ones. Makes me curious why he got banned.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  16. Sep 4, 2011 #15

While I don't encourage cheating, writing garbage like "introduce yourself and what are your hobbies" is not worth your time.

Post this on Yahoo Answers and someone will write it for you. Spend your time studying instead

17. Sep 4, 2011 #16

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

People learn in different ways. For one class of learners, it's apparently very important to establish a some kind of personal connection with the instructor. Most people who gravitate towards mathematics or the sciences tend not to be this type of learner, but some of them are.

Any why wouldn't it be worth your time to introduce yourself to your colleagues anyway? In a few years, your classmates can all act as networking contacts.

18. Sep 5, 2011 #17

Exactly as my point of view. Don't see the problem of introducing yourself, it sounds a bit anti-social to completely hate it in my opinion. I'm sure its always a bit weird at first to introduce yourself in front of everyone but so what? Its hard for me to find a reason to hate such a thing, maybe a dislike but not hate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook