1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do you think my answer is correct?

1. Dec 14, 2012 #1
    Do you think my answer is correct? If not, can you tell me why it is wrong?

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2012 #2
    This looks fine, but you need to slightly re-adjust the inductive step. There you assume that ##|s_{n+k}-s_n|<\epsilon## and then carry on with
    $$
    \begin{eqnarray*}
    |s_{n+k+1}-s_n|
    & = & |s_{n+k+1}-s_{n+k}+s_{n+k}-s_n| \\
    & \leq & |s_{n+k+1}-s_{n+k}|+|s_{n+k}-s_n| \\
    & < & \frac\epsilon2 + \frac\epsilon2.
    \end{eqnarray*}
    $$
    That last line should be "##\ldots<\epsilon+\epsilon##". Which means you need to go back in your proof and somehow ensure that ##|s_{n+k}-s_n|## and ##|s_{n+k+1}-s_{n+k}|## are together less than ##\epsilon##, not each separately.

4. Dec 14, 2012 #3
    Ok, thanks a lot :smile:

5. Dec 31, 2012 #4
    Question 10.6 in this link:
    http://people.ischool.berkeley.edu/~johnsonb/Welcome_files/104/104hw3sum06.pdf [Broken]

is the same as the one that I solved...

But in part (b), it says that this result is not true for [tex]|s_{n+1} - s_n| < 1/n [/tex]. And I was a bit confused...because can't I use the same proof for this one too?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  6. Dec 31, 2012 #5

pasmith

Homework Helper

Unfortunately your present proof doesn't work. Your assumption is that [itex]|s_{n+k} - s_n| < \epsilon[/itex], and you know that [itex]|s_{n+ k +1} - s_{n+k}| < 2^{-(n+k)}[/itex]. The inductive step is then
    [tex]
    |s_{n+k + 1} - s_n| \leq |s_{n+k+1}-s_{n+k}| + |s_{n+k} - s_n| < 2^{-(n+k)} + \epsilon
    [/tex]
    But, sadly, [itex]2^{-(n+k)} + \epsilon > \epsilon[/itex] for all [itex]n[/itex] and [itex]k[/itex]. So you can't conclude that [itex]|s_{n+k+1}- s_n| < \epsilon[/itex], even though this might be the case. (If your inductive step doesn't make use of the given bound on [itex]|s_{n+k +1} - s_{n+k}|[/itex], then your proof is almost certainly flawed.)

The best proof is probably the one given.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook