Do you think the shuttle program should be continued?

• Thread starter case_wp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Program
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of whether the shuttle program should be continued. Some people believe that the program should be retired and replaced with more effective options, while others argue that space research is still important and can be carried out through different means such as private companies and robotics. There are differing opinions on the benefits and costs of the program and whether it should be a priority given the current problems facing the world. Some suggest that space elevators could be a potential solution.
case_wp
Do you think the shuttle program should be continued?

http://www.duken.nl/vote/vote.php [Broken]

e.g. do you think the benefits weigh up against the costs?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
No and no.

No, and no.

I think the US (and indeed the whole world) has enough problems down here to worry about before having to throw money out into space.

I think its time to put the shuttle to rest too. But I am still in favor of space research, but let's put some of the great robotics to work.
I don't believe that money will cure the worlds problems.

hypatia said:
I think its time to put the shuttle to rest too. But I am still in favor of space research, but let's put some of the great robotics to work.
I don't believe that money will cure the worlds problems.
Ditto

zoquo

It's definitely time to retire the government shuttle program and let private companies take over.

I just think that the money could be much better spent elsewhere, since NASA has always been a bit of a showcase anyway! :smile:

The end of the age of state supremacy in the night sky is nearly over. Space now belongs to Richard Branson.

Yes and no (at least if we're talking about tangible benefits).

The shuttle needs to be replaced with something better, but it's the only thing the US has that can put humans into space. I don't think endlessly orbiting the Earth is much of a human space program, either. If the world were a 10'x10' bedroom, the trip from the surface of the Earth to International Space Station would be like traveling 4 inches outside your bedroom door (of course, if the world were a 10'x10' bedroom, it would be a bedroom where no one has moved more than an 1/8 of an inch away from the wall into the room either).

we need space elevators :D

1. What are the benefits of continuing the shuttle program?

The shuttle program allows for continued exploration and research in space, which can lead to advancements in technology, medicine, and our understanding of the universe. It also provides jobs and economic benefits to the communities involved in space missions.

2. What are the risks of continuing the shuttle program?

Continuing the shuttle program carries inherent risks, as with any space mission. There is always a possibility of accidents or malfunctions, which could result in loss of life and resources. There are also financial risks, as the program requires a significant amount of funding.

3. How does the cost of the shuttle program compare to its benefits?

The cost of the shuttle program is significant, but it is important to consider the long-term benefits it provides. The advancements and discoveries made through the program can have a positive impact on various industries and fields, ultimately outweighing the cost.

4. What is the current state of the shuttle program?

The shuttle program officially ended in 2011, but NASA continues to work on new space exploration initiatives. The International Space Station (ISS) is still in operation and serves as a platform for research and collaboration with other countries.

5. How does the public feel about continuing the shuttle program?

Public opinion on the continuation of the shuttle program is divided. Some believe that the benefits outweigh the risks and cost, while others argue that the funding could be better used for other purposes. Ultimately, the decision rests with government officials and agencies responsible for funding space exploration.