Do you use Mathematica/Maple to help you with problems?

• Studying
  • Thread starter dRic2
  • Start date
PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
In advanced undergraduate physics, the ability for the student to work out the mathematics is often PART of the course objective!

Zz.

Nevertheless, the computer is part and parcel of the physicist's toolbox and it is an unnatural restriction to have exams avoid their use altogether.

Likes Wrichik Basu
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Nevertheless, the computer is part and parcel of the physicist's toolbox and it is an unnatural restriction to have exams avoid their use altogether.
Do you know any actual examples of not just graphing calculator; but "the computer,..." being used on Physics examinations in Physics classrooms?

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
Do you know any actual examples of not just graphing calculator; but "the computer,..." being used on Physics examinations in Physics classrooms?

I don't know the extent to which the computer is allowed or disallowed in exams. The example I was thinking of is that someone has posted online the solutions to Griffiths QM problems. When they get to a hard integral they put it into Maple and quote the result.

If Maple were allowed in an exam, then the time allocated to solving a hard integral by hand could be saved giving more time to test the student's knowledge of QM.

That was my point in a nutshell.

Likes Wrichik Basu and dRic2
dRic2
Gold Member
I'm not a Physics student, but in my undergrad in chemE in courses like fluid dynamics, thermodynamics and chemical plants we were allowed, during the exam, to use whatever we wanted to solve a differential equation/integrals (numerically or analytically it didn't matter). The exam was very difficult though.

gleem
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
If Maple were allowed in an exam, then the time allocated to solving a hard integral by hand could be saved giving more time to test the student's knowledge of QM.

Or, not put problems with hard integrals on an exam and just test the students knowledge of QM.