Do You Use The F Word In Real Life?

• Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, Evo warns about the dangers of bad language, and recommends banning it in certain situations. However, Evo also uses bad language himself, and believes that using it in appropriate situations is not a bad thing.
zoobyshoe
Do You Use The "F" Word In Real Life?

A recent post by Evo warning about bad language in an article:

Evo said:
You would not believe the complaints we get, you really would not believe.

And we actually have rules against posting links with obscene language, I don't consider this obscene, but some would, so be warned!

I think an English teacher I had pinpointed the biggest problem with the "F" word: those who use it tend to extend it into a multipurpose word that fills all conversational needs. It becomes all pervasive. Some people I know can't get through a sentence without fitting it in three times. In the end they become inarticulate.

For that reason I support banning it in certain situations, especially academic ones.

That said, I use it a fair amount myself in real life. Having long ago mastered being able to avoid it where prohibited, I find it to be very effective sometimes.

How about you?

Physics news on Phys.org

I've started using words such as "crab rabbits", "scum weasels", etc... But I do use the F word, although a lot of times it's *freaking scum weasels!*

When I said you wouldn't believe the complaints we get, I meant we get members reported for saying *damn* or *damn it*, or using God's name in vain, etc... not something most people would find offending.

I use it when something nasty happens, like I realize that I forgot about a paper due tomorrow. If you've ever seen the first season of The Wire, I quote McNulty. I don't use it very often.

But yeah as a college student I know a lot of people that kind of use it as a crutch.

I don't have an issue with people using it (however saying it every second word is a bit ridiculous...), but I never say it.

Not to say that I don't use other swear words, and it all depends on who I'm around to how much I use them.

All the time. I have no problem with the word, but if I know someone else will, I will watch what I say. I get frustrated too much for the lack of stress in my life, and a lot of it stems from personal image, man VS self stuff that's going on. I do try and keep my language down though. Kind of just a lack of expression I have, and it never turns out well. I really dislike it too.

Such as on this forum, compared to the other forums I use. You will very most likely not catch me swearing on here. As I find this to be a massively relieving place to be, haha.

But, like I said, I am separate in real life from who I am on here, and this is my calm state.

I ****ing say it all the ****ing time and the **** day I give a **** about what ****er stupid little ******s **** last time a ******er rabbit bites into ****ing political accountability in ******ers such as Al Gore because *** into a **** for the last time!

Like Chris Rock says: "It's all about the context".

If someone came up to me and said "You're ****ing fantastic", I wouldn't be offended. (C'mon who honestly would?).

If someone was intentionally being an ******* and when encountered about it says "I don't give a ****", then that's not acceptable.

It's just a word and the context is the most important aspect of it all.

zoobyshoe said:

I think an English teacher I had pinpointed the biggest problem with the "F" word: those who use it tend to extend it into a multipurpose word that fills all conversational needs. It becomes all pervasive. Some people I know can't get through a sentence without fitting it in three times. In the end they become inarticulate.

For that reason I support banning it in certain situations, especially academic ones.

That said, I use it a fair amount myself in real life. Having long ago mastered being able to avoid it where prohibited, I find it to be very effective sometimes.

How about you?

yep. and i use "like" like all the time.

I use it in real life. I don't like when people use it as a crutch, but I don't think that using it on a good occasion in life is a bad thing (or shows a lack of intelligence/whatever).

As a good friend of mine once said: "Why limit your vocabulary by refusing to use words someone might find offensive? If you did that, you'd eventually never be able to say anything at all!"

Again, not to say you should use it every other word. If you're around people you respect who respectfully ask that you don't use it, well... don't use it around them. Etc etc etc.

Someone once said a rule of thumb should be that it's ok to use profanity as long as you know which words you could correctly use in place of them.

No. I do not use f*** or any variant in real life. If I am around other other adults and happen to smack my hand with a hammer, maybe I'll lapse into that, but I'm not going to go down that road. Part of being an entertainer entails self-censorship, and I never would want to offend listeners with casual remarks around an open mic. I have not been able to pursue that musical avenue for almost 10 years now because of severe reactions to fragrance chemicals, but still, I shy from that word in casual use.

turbo-1 said:
If I am around other other adults and happen to smack my hand with a hammer, maybe I'll lapse into that, but I'm not going to go down that road.
I used it several times... ah many times, while walking from the shed to the house to clean up and ice a smashed thumb joint.

Evo said:
I've started using words such as "crab rabbits", "scum weasels", etc... But I do use the F word, although a lot of times it's *freaking scum weasels!*
I like this commercial where the woman exclaims "SHUT the FRONT DOOR!" in exactly the same rhythm as we usually hear "SHUT the F*** UP!"
When I said you wouldn't believe the complaints we get, I meant we get members reported for saying *damn* or *damn it*, or using God's name in vain, etc... not something most people would find offending.
They probably think that people who report things will be gloriously rewarded some day.

Only around people who use it too.

Pengwuino said:
I ****ing say it all the ****ing time and the **** day I give a **** about what ****er stupid little ******s **** last time a ******er rabbit bites into ****ing political accountability in ******ers such as Al Gore because *** into a **** for the last time!
Why you asterisking peguinoid fellow!

turbo-1 said:
Part of being an entertainer entails self-censorship, and I never would want to offend listeners with casual remarks around an open mic.

Frank Zappa and Seth Putnam on the other hand..

Yes, in the appropriate context. Not on PF.

I try not to. Making up euphemisms really isn't much better though.

I rarely use it except when it's demanded socially in order to generate some sort of linguistic effect. I found that most people whom I've hanged out with are pretty polite. If you've said the f word you would seem like an outcast.

It's not about the word, but about the tone and meaning.
Whenever it is used in conversation, it distracts and derails.
Not a good thing if you really try to communicate.

IMO, using the F word, or any curse word, is only useful if you want your conversation to be about nothing meaningful or abort it altogether.

I like Serena said:

IMO, using the F word, or any curse word, is only useful if you want your conversation to be about nothing meaningful or abort it altogether.

Guess what? I agree :wink:

Evo said:

As I teenager I used to volunteer at a local http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaver_Scouts_(The_Scout_Association)" [Broken] group and came up with a variety of new swear words along the lines of "nibblets" and "floffal" :rofl:

I like Serena said:

I agree, I find it odd when some people are offended by the use of a word. Some words I understand because they have cultural and historical baggage such as "cool person" but others I really don't see why people have a problem. I met a feminist once who refused to say vagina because it's comes from the Latin for sword sheath. She used the word c*** instead because it means triangle, she offended a lot of people who were around at the time which I found very odd, especially as she had explained why.

To be honest I'm always fascinated by swear words, personally I don't approve of using them inappropriately or unnecessarily (it makes one appear rather intelligent) but I have no problem with someone letting off a stream of expletives. It's all contextual!

Last edited by a moderator:

zoobyshoe said:
I like this commercial where the woman exclaims "SHUT the FRONT DOOR!" in exactly the same rhythm as we usually hear "SHUT the F*** UP!"
The first time I heard that, I thought that she was dropping the F bomb in front of kids. :eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFoe3wYvFUA

Borg said:
The first time I heard that, I thought that she was dropping the F bomb in front of kids. :eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFoe3wYvFUA
That's it! Thanks for finding it! Yeah, I thought so too. And that "Franklin Delano!" also sounds obscene for some reason I can't quite put my winger on.

Last edited:

zoobyshoe said:
That's it! Thanks for finding it! Yeah, I thought so too. And that "Franklin Delano!" also sounds obscene for some reason I can't quite put my finder on.
I was going to say that it sounds like "F***ing eh" to me.

For most of my life I didn't curse and was offended when other people did. But then...

Several years ago I lost my job in a professional office setting and had to take a job in a blue collar setting. I was shocked at the language at first, but eventually I understood it to be a sort of local dialect. It took a while but now I can use that dialect at will when I'm around people of that sort. In other settings I use whatever the context appropriate language happens to be.

I have found that if I want to have a meeting of the minds with someone, especially a stranger, it's efficacious to speak their language.

Let me just add this: The 'F' word typically is an expression of anger. It has evolved somewhat, but mostly it's still about anger. I learned that the reason blue collar workers use the word so much has little to do with their education level. It's used because they have so much in life to be angry about, especially on the job.

These are just generalizations, of course.

I swear quite a bit in real life. I tend to be quick to anger (think Ari Gold from Entourage).

Evo said:

It does actually make sense for religious people to be offended by these words. It's actually much easier to make a biblical argument against words like that than it is for words like f***, s***, and the like. I know a number of Christians who are far more offended by a "God damn it!" or a "Jesus Christ!" than an f-bomb. It's because the usage of words like that as curse words is pretty much directly forbidden in the Bible, whereas the arguments against other swear words tend to be a lot weaker from a religious moral standpoint (often, at heart, the arguments basically come down to the fact that it's Church tradition to avoid such words).

zoobyshoe said:

How about you?

I usually use it in traffic, if I get hurt by something, or if I bite the inside of my lip by accident.

thegreenlaser said:
It does actually make sense for religious people to be offended by these words. It's actually much easier to make a biblical argument against words like that than it is for words like f***, s***, and the like. I know a number of Christians who are far more offended by a "God damn it!" or a "Jesus Christ!" than an f-bomb. It's because the usage of words like that as curse words is pretty much directly forbidden in the Bible, whereas the arguments against other swear words tend to be a lot weaker from a religious moral standpoint (often, at heart, the arguments basically come down to the fact that it's Church tradition to avoid such words).

Where is the use of curse words banned in the Bible? Considering it was written in a language with a different set up to English.

As a philosophy lecturer explained to me some time ago even using the "lords name in vain" does not refer to using it as an expletive, it refers to claiming God is responsible for your successes.

Proton Soup said:
yep. and i use "like" like all the time.
:rofl:

ryan_m_b said:
Where is the use of curse words banned in the Bible? Considering it was written in a language with a different set up to English.

As a philosophy lecturer explained to me some time ago even using the "lords name in vain" does not refer to using it as an expletive, it refers to claiming God is responsible for your successes.

I never said that the use of curse words in general is banned in the Bible...

By the way, just because someone says "if you read the original language" doesn't mean they're right (doesn't mean they're wrong either, of course). The people who translated into English read the original language, did they not? (and a lot of other people have too) What makes your philosophy prof's interpretation automatically correct, compared with other people who have made interpretations from the original text? (I'm not saying it's incorrect, or even that I disagree with it, I just see no reason from your post to take it as correct) Now, I don't think there's really a way to continue this discussion much beyond that without breaking forum rules (which is my reasoning for so conveniently ignoring the actual argument). Regardless, I think it's clear that the purpose of this thread is not to determine whether or not swearing is condemned in the Bible and, if so, what specifically is condemned. I was simply saying that a lot of people do have reason to feel offended by the words Evo mentioned. Whether they're right or not is an entirely different matter.

thegreenlaser said:
I never said that the use of curse words in general is banned in the Bible...

By the way, just because someone says "if you read the original language" doesn't mean they're right (doesn't mean they're wrong either, of course). The people who translated into English read the original language, did they not? (and a lot of other people have too) What makes your philosophy prof's interpretation automatically correct, compared with other people who have made interpretations from the original text? (I'm not saying it's incorrect, or even that I disagree with it, I just see no reason from your post to take it as correct) Now, I don't think there's really a way to continue this discussion much beyond that without breaking forum rules (which is my reasoning for so conveniently ignoring the actual argument). Regardless, I think it's clear that the purpose of this thread is not to determine whether or not swearing is condemned in the Bible and, if so, what specifically is condemned. I was simply saying that a lot of people do have reason to feel offended by the words Evo mentioned. Whether they're right or not is an entirely different matter.

Eh? you're the one that bought it up :rolleyes: onto other things though

ryan_m_b said:

The problem is the "in vain" part. It has nothing to do with successes. It refers to using these words [God, Lord, Christ] only in the proper context. Also, to "damn" someone is to pass judgement or to wish evil upon another, which is considered sinful. It can all be argued as a matter of context.

For example, to call upon God to damn your car because it won't start is considered irreverant and a violation of the 3rd commandment.

I say who cares. Sometimes I do, if I'm around a tight a** then I wont.

<h2>1. Is using the F word in real life considered unprofessional?</h2><p>It depends on the context and setting. In a professional setting, using the F word may be seen as inappropriate and unprofessional. However, in casual or informal settings, it may be more acceptable.</p><h2>2. Does using the F word in real life have any negative consequences?</h2><p>Using the F word in certain situations may offend or upset others, leading to negative consequences such as strained relationships or even legal repercussions. It is important to consider the impact of using this word before doing so.</p><h2>3. Is using the F word in real life a sign of a limited vocabulary?</h2><p>Not necessarily. While some may use the F word as a crutch or filler in their language, others may use it to express strong emotions or emphasize a point. It is important to consider the intention behind the use of this word.</p><h2>4. Are there any benefits to using the F word in real life?</h2><p>Some may argue that using the F word can be cathartic and help release pent-up emotions. It can also be used for comedic effect in certain situations. However, it is important to use it responsibly and not rely on it as a primary means of communication.</p><h2>5. Is it appropriate to use the F word in scientific discussions or presentations?</h2><p>No, it is generally not appropriate to use the F word in a scientific setting. It can be seen as unprofessional and may undermine the credibility of the discussion or presentation. It is important to use respectful and appropriate language in these settings.</p>

1. Is using the F word in real life considered unprofessional?

It depends on the context and setting. In a professional setting, using the F word may be seen as inappropriate and unprofessional. However, in casual or informal settings, it may be more acceptable.

2. Does using the F word in real life have any negative consequences?

Using the F word in certain situations may offend or upset others, leading to negative consequences such as strained relationships or even legal repercussions. It is important to consider the impact of using this word before doing so.

3. Is using the F word in real life a sign of a limited vocabulary?

Not necessarily. While some may use the F word as a crutch or filler in their language, others may use it to express strong emotions or emphasize a point. It is important to consider the intention behind the use of this word.

4. Are there any benefits to using the F word in real life?

Some may argue that using the F word can be cathartic and help release pent-up emotions. It can also be used for comedic effect in certain situations. However, it is important to use it responsibly and not rely on it as a primary means of communication.

5. Is it appropriate to use the F word in scientific discussions or presentations?

No, it is generally not appropriate to use the F word in a scientific setting. It can be seen as unprofessional and may undermine the credibility of the discussion or presentation. It is important to use respectful and appropriate language in these settings.