Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do you use Twitter?

1. Sep 21, 2008 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Posting all those updates about oneself seems very time consuming. But maybe I am just behind the times, as usual.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2008 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, I must be even more behind the times than you are, because I'd never heard of "twitter" before. :uhh:

4. Sep 21, 2008 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

My company pushes the use of twitter for employees to reach out to clients.

I don't use it.

I'm getting tired of all the technology, and that's my job. Perhaps why I don't care for all of the techie ways to become more and more tied to using the stuff.

5. Sep 21, 2008 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just heard about it recently.

http://twitter.com/

"Twitter is a service for friends, family, and co–workers to communicate and stay connected through the exchange of quick, frequent answers to one simple question: What are you doing?"

6. Sep 21, 2008 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There was something you said about being tethered to technology in another thread that made me think of Twitter. It just seems like we've reached overkill.

7. Sep 21, 2008 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Some people can't get enough. Personally I still like the real world enough to enjoy other things.

From a business perspective we want you so tied to your gadgets and online services that you can't live without us. That's how we make our money. :frown:

That WIFI in the park, we sell that to the city. It comes out of the resident's tax dollars. Nothing is free.

8. Sep 21, 2008 #7

"What are you doing friend?" "Don't bother me I'm twittering"

9. Sep 21, 2008 #8

People keep coming up with new "stuff" and then have to find a market for it. I would imagine that there is going to be some advertising on twitter.

10. Sep 21, 2008 #9

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It seems like "reverse stalking" in that you are continually broadcasting what you are doing.:biggrin:

11. Sep 21, 2008 #10

LOL in my case no one would be interested.

12. Sep 21, 2008 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I hope my mom never finds out about it. :bugeye: Though, I'm sure I could get her to quick checking quickly enough if she got to be a pest about it. :biggrin: "I'm having sex." "More sex." "Just snuggling now, hoping for sex later..." :devil:

Yep, and as edward points out, it's just technology for technology's sake in search of a market rather than technology filling a legitimate need.

Of course it's paid for by tax dollars. But, since I'm not the one living there, it's free to me. The tourists get to mooch off the NYers and their ridiculously exhorbitant city taxes. :biggrin: (Still trying to convince the boyfriend he should reject it all and move to WV with me...he's more conservative than I am and already knows how to shoot a rifle, so should fit in well here. :rofl:)

13. Sep 21, 2008 #12

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

Here's some variations of Twitter I've been thinking about:

Kitter: tiny robot follows your cat around and takes pictures so you can see what kitty is doing every 5 minutes

Bitter: only sends you updates of what a great time your ex is having

Quitter: linked to a device the user wears that detects cigarette smoke. Broadcasts go out to everyone if the user cheats

14. Sep 21, 2008 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Now those would be worth signing up for! Especially Kitter. :biggrin: (Ember says she's trying to sleep on the back of the sofa, quit asking what she's doing. :biggrin:)

15. Sep 23, 2008 #14
    Twitter, Myspace, Second Life... *rips hair out*

Sharing information is great, but I think that the information deluge is making us more reliant on corporations that help us sort that information and making the web less free as a side-effect.

Semi-relevantly and amusingly: here's a link to some guy who has beaten you to the punch; this is the _real_ Kitter.

http://www.mr-lee-catcam.de/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?