Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do you want someone else?

1. Bush

0 vote(s)
  2. Some Other Conservative

3. Kerry

0 vote(s)
  4. Some Other Liberal

5. Some Independent Person, Not Liberal Or Conservative

1. Sep 16, 2004 #1
    let's see

From the "In retrospect" threads, it's obvious that the politicians who most people are voting for aren't the people that they'd really prefer to be voting for, but just the lesser of 2 evils as they see it. It makes me wonder why 3rd parties do so horribly. Obviously, not everyone wants Nader, but it just seems that there should be more than 2 parties to represent everyone in the USA, especially when so many of them are so dissatisfied with who they'll end up voting for.

Does it really just boil down to the Democrats and Republicans have the money, and therefore have a duopoly on political parties? I mean, most people don't vote for third party candidates because they feel no one else will/does and their vote won't matter, but since it seems most people don't like the Democratic or Republican candidate too much, it's really shocking there hasn't been a public uprising of voting against Dems and Reps.

Bassically, I'm just looking for comment on why 3rd parties generally fair so poorly when most people don't really like who they're going to vote for. Also, what would you look for in an ideal President?
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2004 #2
    jesse ventura a true independant :surprised
  4. Sep 17, 2004 #3

Staff: Mentor

From the other thread, Powell, McCain, Rice, in that order. And with better controls on the power of the parties, McCain would be president today.
  5. Sep 30, 2004 #4
    If Giuliani would run as an independent against Hillary, he may change my mind and vote for him. I simply think he's a great leader.
  6. Sep 30, 2004 #5
    Against Hillary for Senator, or President in 2008 or 2012 (depending on circumstances).

After seeing his speech at the RNC, I don't think anyone would consider him a very "Independent" politician. Too bad, he stayed out of partisan name-calling until around late summer 2004...
  7. Sep 30, 2004 #6

Science Advisor

I still wish Hulk Hogan would have followed through with his plan to run for president.
  8. Sep 30, 2004 #7
  9. Sep 30, 2004 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I really would have preferred McCain if he was running.

As for the lesser of two evils thing...yeah...but the only independent running is that wacko Nader. He didn't even get on the ballots in OH...apparently not all of his signatures were legitimate, so he didn't make the minimum necessary. When I hear things like that, I wonder if there is actual fraud involved on the part of the candidate and their signature collectors, or if it's a problem with nitwits on the street signing fake names just to be funny.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?