Ready to switch sides? Explore the Benefits of Becoming a Lefty!

• Thread starter difference
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of becoming left-handed to alleviate pain from computer use and to stimulate the right brain. Some participants share their experiences of being ambidextrous or semi-left-handed, while others question the supposed benefits. The mention of Aron Ralston and his experience of becoming left-handed through amputation highlights the extreme measures some are willing to take. Overall, the conversation touches on the potential benefits and challenges of being left-handed.
difference
do you want to be a LEFTY !

hi, boys and girls
as we sit down in front of computer day after day, do you feel pain from wrist arm and shoulder?
if you can't endure, there is a simple and effective way. just be a LEFTY, use your another hand.
additionally, as we all know, it can practise our right-brain
do you want have a try, or tell me what you are anxious for

Physics news on Phys.org
umm...what does this have to do with general physics?

Unless this was moved I would say its in the right forum. It would also be nice if I could use both my hands and be ambasomething or other, have no idea how to spell that word. :confused: :confused: :smile:

Ambidextrous is the word you're looking for. And that's far better than just switching from right to left handedness (or vice versa). I've taught myself to do a number of things left-handed...still not as steady as with my right-hand, but enough to function if I ever broke my right arm or something like that. This probably should earn me a few extra points on that geek quiz posted around here somewhere!

I used to be ambidextrous but of got sick of being half backward so I switched to my proper RIGHT arm.

I've taught myself to do a number of things left-handed...

I don't think i'll ask. :rofl:

I too have gotten quite good at doing some things with my left hand :

I can count, point, wave, scratch my right hand, rotate my upper arm to make my watch look in the general direction of my eyes, press CTRL + ALT, press ALT + TAB and a host of other complex activities - all with my left hand.

Nifty, wot ?

My father constantly reminds me to use my left hand for controlling the mouse. I'm not going to ignore him completely - he's got Carpel Tunnel Syndrome (CTS) from more than 20 years of using his computer at work.

But, hey, I'm in the prime of my youth and I love Minesweeper and if you use your left hand while playing the game, you just CAN'T WIN! (this is only if you're a right-hander like me.)

By the way, does using one's left hand really make one smarter?

I`m like a semi-quasi-pseudo lefty.
I write with my left hand, but my strongest arm is right.
I throw/kick objects with my right limbs.
When I walk next to my bicycle, I walk on the right side (so the standard is always on the other side).
I hold my telephone to my left ear.
In general, things that require a certain precision I do left-handed.
Things that require strenght are done right-handed.
It can be a pain when I need both, you should see me writing on the blackboard, it's a disgrace. (and I`m giving studentassistent lectures coming semester, this'll be fun).

Recon said:
By the way, does using one's left hand really make one smarter?
I think statistical research has been done on this. It seems that people who are left-handed are are generally more creative than people who are right-handed.
Don't know the details though.

I think that we should ask Aron Ralston what it is like to become a lefty.

(Do a google of that name. You'll know what I mean)

What is the difference between being left-handed and right-handed?

The main difference between being left-handed and right-handed is the dominant hand used for daily tasks. While right-handed people use their right hand for writing and other activities, left-handed people use their left hand. Additionally, research has shown that left-handed people may have a higher likelihood of being ambidextrous, or using both hands equally well.

Can someone choose to be left-handed?

No, a person's handedness is determined by genetics and cannot be chosen or changed. However, some people may be able to develop ambidexterity through training and practice.

Is being left-handed linked to intelligence?

There is no scientific evidence to support a link between handedness and intelligence. While some studies have shown that left-handed people may perform better on certain tasks, this does not mean that they are inherently more intelligent than right-handed people.

Are left-handed people at a disadvantage in a right-handed world?

In the past, left-handed people may have faced challenges in a predominantly right-handed world, such as using right-handed tools and writing materials. However, society has become more accommodating to left-handed people, and many products and tools are now designed for both left and right-handed individuals.

Are there any health risks associated with being left-handed?

No, being left-handed does not pose any health risks. However, research has shown that left-handed people may have a slightly higher risk of certain conditions, such as dyslexia and schizophrenia, but the reasons for this are still unclear.