How can the Dobbler Effect be used to monitor fetal heartbeats?

• Thread starter vinny380
  • Start date
In summary: So, the equation should be f' = f (c + vr) / (c + vs), where c is the speed of sound, vr is the velocity of the reflector (in this case, the beating heart), and vs is the velocity of the source (in this case, the original source of the ultrasonic waves).In summary, the Dobbler Effect is used to monitor the heartbeat of a fetus by measuring the beat frequency of the ultrasonic waves. By using the equation f' = f (c + vr) / (c + vs), where c is the speed of sound, vr is the velocity of the beating heart, and vs is the velocity of the original source, the maximum velocity of the surface
vinny380
Dobbler Effect Question !

Question:
The Dobbler Effect, using ultrasonic waves of frequency of 2.25 *10^6 Hz is used to monitor the heartbeat of a fetus. A beat frequency of 500Hz is observed. Assuming the speed of sound is 1.54 *10^3 m/s, calculate the maximum velocity of the surface of the beating heart.

Equations:
Only one relevant equation:
f'=f((Vsound (+ or -) Vobserver)/(Vsound (- or t) Vsource))

Attempt
I know that the answer is .171m/s. I also know that in this questions, you have to use the above formula two times (double dobbler effect) to get the answer. If anyone can help me, I would really appreciate. I have pretty much tried plugging every number into the formula above, but everytime i do it, i never get .171m/s as my final answer! Maybe I am confusing whether the heart is the source of the observer. Please help! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you might mean "Doppler". Yes, i know I'm picky, but you wouldn't like your name to misspelled either.

Daniel.

vinny380 said:
Question:
The Dobbler Effect, using ultrasonic waves of frequency of 2.25 *10^6 Hz is used to monitor the heartbeat of a fetus. A beat frequency of 500Hz is observed. Assuming the speed of sound is 1.54 *10^3 m/s, calculate the maximum velocity of the surface of the beating heart.

Equations:
Only one relevant equation:
f'=f((Vsound (+ or -) Vobserver)/(Vsound (- or t) Vsource))

Attempt
I know that the answer is .171m/s. I also know that in this questions, you have to use the above formula two times (double dobbler effect) to get the answer. If anyone can help me, I would really appreciate. I have pretty much tried plugging every number into the formula above, but everytime i do it, i never get .171m/s as my final answer! Maybe I am confusing whether the heart is the source of the observer. Please help! Thanks

Beat frequency is the frequency difference between the transmitted wave and the reflected wave, yes? The "doubling" effect is due to the fact that the heart is both the observer and the source in this problem. It is a moving observer as it encounters the wave sent out by the original source, and a moving source as it reflects that wave back to the original source.

The best way to understand the combined effect is to draw a diagram representing the wave fronts from the original source and the reflected wave fronts, taking into consideration the motion of the reflector. See how the reflected wavelength is shortened by an approaching reflector.

Last edited:

1. What is the Dobbler Effect?

The Dobbler Effect, also known as the Doppler shift, is a change in the frequency of a wave (such as sound or light) perceived by an observer when the source of the wave is moving relative to the observer.

2. Who discovered the Dobbler Effect?

The Dobbler Effect was discovered by Austrian physicist Christian Doppler in 1842.

3. What causes the Dobbler Effect?

The Dobbler Effect is caused by relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer. This can be seen in everyday situations, such as the change in pitch of a siren as an ambulance passes by.

4. How is the Dobbler Effect used in science?

The Dobbler Effect is used in various fields of science, such as astronomy, meteorology, and medical imaging. In astronomy, it is used to measure the speed and distance of celestial objects. In meteorology, it is used to track the movement of weather systems. In medical imaging, it is used to create images of internal body structures.

5. Can the Dobbler Effect be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the Dobbler Effect can be observed in everyday life. As mentioned earlier, the change in pitch of a siren as it passes by is a common example. Other examples include the change in pitch of a car horn as a car approaches or the change in frequency of a train whistle as it moves towards or away from an observer.