Doc Watson has died.

There never was a guitar player like Doc Watson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5c1k949Zn4

Answers and Replies

Haha, those are pretty good. I was referring to how it is typically frowned upon to joke about death, though.
Or dangerous situations.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Ya gotta love a bluegrass artist who refers to men as "fellers".

turbo
Gold Member
Doc was a figure. It would be hard to find a flat-picker with more effect on bluegrass today.

Or dangerous situations.
:smile: I know what you're talking about. Personally, I don't consider anything too serious to joke about. But then, I get lots of infractions and temporary bans from PF. Permanent banning from PF is an ever present cloud hanging over my head.

Anyway, thanks for the Doc Watson post.

Pythagorean
Gold Member
RIP. Doc Watson sold me on bluegrass. Which eventually led me to my favorite (thus far); I just recently learned this one on the mandolin:

-6VeyJxzXyM[/youtube] Can't play i...itar, but enjoyable song to pick nonetheless.

I couldn't get the idea out of my head that you were announcing that Sherlock Holmes' sidekick had died.

turbo
Gold Member
RIP. Doc Watson sold me on bluegrass. Which eventually led me to my favorite (thus far); I just recently learned this one on the mandolin:

-6VeyJxzXyM[/youtube] Can't play i...g others. The CD was recorded in Santa Cruz.

Last edited:
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I was first introduced to Doc Watson during my second year of university during the mid-70's. At the time, I basically listened to classic rock (Iron Butterfly, Rolling Stones (<1969), Led Zepplin, Jimi Hendrix, Yardbirds, Traffic, Yes, The Who, EL&P, Moody Blues, . . . . ).

I was not fond of most C&W, and still am not, but I like Bluegrass and some folk music.

Watson's guitar playing is crisp, he had a wonderful sense of humor, and he was a great story teller.

Here's a great interview - Fresh Air Remembers Traditional Music Legend Doc Watson
http://www.npr.org/2012/05/30/153704132/fresh-air-remembers-traditional-music-legend-doc-watson

Watson came from humble beginnings, and as far as I can tell, he lived pretty modestly.

RIP Doc.

turbo
Gold Member
Doc did come from humble beginnings, though many in Country, Bluegrass, etc, did as well. If you have not been introduced to Danny Gatton, it might be a good time to search around and find some stuff. His style of electric guitar-playing has been characterized as "red-neck jazz". So sad that his life ended in suicide, because he was such a shining star.

turbo
Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: