RIP Doc Watson - Legendary Guitar Player

• Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
In summary, Doc Watson was a fantastic guitarist and storyteller. He was also very humble, and his death is a sad loss.
Jimmy Snyder
There never was a guitar player like Doc Watson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5c1k949Zn4

Physics news on Phys.org
Jimmy Snyder said:
I hope this topic is not too serious to joke about.

Well...

TylerH said:
Well...

http://www.docwatson.de/doctales.html#preach

Jimmy Snyder said:
http://www.docwatson.de/doctales.html#preach
Haha, those are pretty good. I was referring to how it is typically frowned upon to joke about death, though.

TylerH said:
Haha, those are pretty good. I was referring to how it is typically frowned upon to joke about death, though.
Or dangerous situations.

Ya got to love a bluegrass artist who refers to men as "fellers".

Doc was a figure. It would be hard to find a flat-picker with more effect on bluegrass today.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Or dangerous situations.
:smile: I know what you're talking about. Personally, I don't consider anything too serious to joke about. But then, I get lots of infractions and temporary bans from PF. Permanent banning from PF is an ever present cloud hanging over my head.

Anyway, thanks for the Doc Watson post.

RIP. Doc Watson sold me on bluegrass. Which eventually led me to my favorite (thus far); I just recently learned this one on the mandolin:

-6VeyJxzXyM[/youtube] Can't play i...itar, but enjoyable song to pick nonetheless.

I couldn't get the idea out of my head that you were announcing that Sherlock Holmes' sidekick had died.

Pythagorean said:
RIP. Doc Watson sold me on bluegrass. Which eventually led me to my favorite (thus far); I just recently learned this one on the mandolin:

-6VeyJxzXyM[/youtube] Can't play i...g others. The CD was recorded in Santa Cruz.

Last edited:
I was first introduced to Doc Watson during my second year of university during the mid-70's. At the time, I basically listened to classic rock (Iron Butterfly, Rolling Stones (<1969), Led Zepplin, Jimi Hendrix, Yardbirds, Traffic, Yes, The Who, EL&P, Moody Blues, . . . . ).

I was not fond of most C&W, and still am not, but I like Bluegrass and some folk music.

Watson's guitar playing is crisp, he had a wonderful sense of humor, and he was a great story teller.

Here's a great interview - Fresh Air Remembers Traditional Music Legend Doc Watson
http://www.npr.org/2012/05/30/153704132/fresh-air-remembers-traditional-music-legend-doc-watson

Watson came from humble beginnings, and as far as I can tell, he lived pretty modestly.

RIP Doc.

Doc did come from humble beginnings, though many in Country, Bluegrass, etc, did as well. If you have not been introduced to Danny Gatton, it might be a good time to search around and find some stuff. His style of electric guitar-playing has been characterized as "red-neck jazz". So sad that his life ended in suicide, because he was such a shining star.

Last edited by a moderator:

What were Doc Watson's biggest musical contributions?

Doc Watson was a highly influential guitar player who helped popularize traditional American folk, bluegrass, and country music. He is known for his virtuosic flatpicking style and for bringing attention to the traditional music of the Appalachian region. He also inspired countless musicians with his unique blend of blues, country, and folk music.

How did Doc Watson's blindness impact his music?

Doc Watson was blind from a young age, but this did not hinder his musical abilities. In fact, his blindness may have contributed to his exceptional sense of rhythm and his ability to play multiple instruments. He also developed a keen ear for listening and learning from others, which helped shape his musical style.

What awards and recognition did Doc Watson receive during his career?

Doc Watson received numerous awards and accolades throughout his career, including eight Grammy Awards, a Lifetime Achievement Award from the National Endowment for the Arts, and induction into the International Bluegrass Music Hall of Fame. He was also awarded the National Medal of Arts by President Bill Clinton in 1997.

What was Doc Watson's impact on the music industry?

Doc Watson's impact on the music industry cannot be overstated. He not only popularized traditional American music, but he also influenced countless musicians and helped bridge the gap between traditional and contemporary music styles. His virtuosic guitar playing and unique blend of genres continue to inspire musicians today.

What is Doc Watson's legacy?

Doc Watson's legacy is one of musical innovation, influence, and inspiration. He helped bring traditional American music to a wider audience and influenced countless musicians, including artists such as Bob Dylan, Jerry Garcia, and Ricky Skaggs. His musical legacy continues to live on through his recordings and the musicians he inspired.