Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doc Watson has died.

1. May 29, 2012 #1
    There never was a guitar player like Doc Watson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5c1k949Zn4

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2012 #2
    Well...

4. May 29, 2012 #3
  5. May 29, 2012 #4
    Haha, those are pretty good. I was referring to how it is typically frowned upon to joke about death, though.

6. May 29, 2012 #5
    Or dangerous situations.

7. May 29, 2012 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ya gotta love a bluegrass artist who refers to men as "fellers".

8. May 29, 2012 #7

turbo

Gold Member

Doc was a figure. It would be hard to find a flat-picker with more effect on bluegrass today.

9. May 29, 2012 #8
    :smile: I know what you're talking about. Personally, I don't consider anything too serious to joke about. But then, I get lots of infractions and temporary bans from PF. Permanent banning from PF is an ever present cloud hanging over my head.

Anyway, thanks for the Doc Watson post.

10. May 30, 2012 #9

Pythagorean

Gold Member

RIP. Doc Watson sold me on bluegrass. Which eventually led me to my favorite (thus far); I just recently learned this one on the mandolin:

-6VeyJxzXyM[/youtube] Can't play i...itar, but enjoyable song to pick nonetheless.

11. May 30, 2012 #10
    I couldn't get the idea out of my head that you were announcing that Sherlock Holmes' sidekick had died.

12. May 30, 2012 #11

turbo

Gold Member

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  13. May 30, 2012 #12

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I was first introduced to Doc Watson during my second year of university during the mid-70's. At the time, I basically listened to classic rock (Iron Butterfly, Rolling Stones (<1969), Led Zepplin, Jimi Hendrix, Yardbirds, Traffic, Yes, The Who, EL&P, Moody Blues, . . . . ).

I was not fond of most C&W, and still am not, but I like Bluegrass and some folk music.

Watson's guitar playing is crisp, he had a wonderful sense of humor, and he was a great story teller.

Here's a great interview - Fresh Air Remembers Traditional Music Legend Doc Watson
    http://www.npr.org/2012/05/30/153704132/fresh-air-remembers-traditional-music-legend-doc-watson

Watson came from humble beginnings, and as far as I can tell, he lived pretty modestly.

RIP Doc.

14. May 30, 2012 #13

turbo

Gold Member

Doc did come from humble beginnings, though many in Country, Bluegrass, etc, did as well. If you have not been introduced to Danny Gatton, it might be a good time to search around and find some stuff. His style of electric guitar-playing has been characterized as "red-neck jazz". So sad that his life ended in suicide, because he was such a shining star.

15. May 30, 2012 #14

turbo

Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook