Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Doctor Doctor!

1. Mar 9, 2008 #1
    Hey All,

Firstly let me say I have a doctors appointment on Monday with lots of things needing a look at. :smile:

My main concern is that I have a lump the size of a pea on the back of one of my shoulder, it is very close to the neck. It is in the skin and feels like carteledge though it isnt I know, it is round, and when I tense shoulders it pops out a pit, it is well within the skin. Any ideas? My mum says maybe a swollen gland? I've had it for a few months now!

_Mayday_

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2008 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Let us know what the doctor said.

4. Mar 10, 2008 #3
    So you have known about it for months? Your life should not be treated as a waiting game!!!

5. Mar 10, 2008 #4
  6. Mar 10, 2008 #5
    It's Tuesday. Sorry. I'll let you guys/gals know as soon as possible. The reason I have left it so long is because I thought it was just a swollen gland.

7. Mar 10, 2008 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Lumps under the skin that can't be attributed to a very recent injury (i.e., not just a bruise) should always be checked out by a doctor. They can run the gamut from benign to malignant, and sometimes even the doctor cannot readily tell visually, but will need to send the removed lump off for a biopsy to identify it.

8. Mar 10, 2008 #7

Tsu

Gold Member

Hopefully it's just a lipoma, or a cyst like larkspur mentioned. But NEVER let a lump under the skin (lymph node or not - lymph nodes swell up for a reason, ya know!!) go more than a week without getting it checked. OK? :smile: DO let us know, tho. You have some concerned friends here.

9. Mar 10, 2008 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I'm also hoping it's a lipoma, I have some of those.

10. Mar 11, 2008 #9

Tsu

Gold Member

Oh, Sis. You're just lumpy all over. :rofl:

Oh, no. Wait. That was ME! Wasn't it?? I was the fat kid - you were the skinny one? I CAN'T REMEMBER!!!!1111 I'M TOO OLD!!

11. Mar 11, 2008 #10

Tsu

Gold Member

Well? Any news?

12. Mar 11, 2008 #11

Danger

Gold Member

Naw... just in the right spots.

What?! She doesn't have 5 nipples?! Rats!

13. Mar 11, 2008 #12

Tsu

Gold Member

No, honey. Rats have 6 nipples (or is it 8?) :rofl:

14. Mar 11, 2008 #13

Danger

Gold Member

Hmmm... I'm not sure. :confused:
    Alberta is a rat-free province (by law), so I haven't had a chance to check.
    Anyhow, I'm trying to get over the 'symmetry' aspect of the OCD/ADD thing. Five just seemed like a nice compromise.

15. Mar 11, 2008 #14

Tsu

Gold Member

WOW! I didn't know rats could read, much less adhere to any LAWS! I'm impressed!! I think I want to move to Canada where the rats obey the laws. Are the humans as good as the rats? :rofl:

16. Mar 13, 2008 #15
    Okay, sorry for the delay. First of all, I am ok thanks for all your thoughts though! It turns out they are both glands, which is what my mum said. She says in skinny boys who start to grow muscle sometimes they can stick out a bit, and she says only if it gets very big or i notice a dramatic change should I come back.

_Mayday_ :smile:

17. Mar 13, 2008 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Glad it turned out to be nothing to worry about. :smile: But, see, now you have peace of mind for getting it checked out and verified rather than having to wonder and worry. :approve:

18. Mar 13, 2008 #17
    Great news!

19. Mar 13, 2008 #18

Danger

Gold Member

Not even close.

I know that it might sound a bit weird to some people in other areas, but we really are mandated to be ratless. It's illegal to bring even a pet rat into the province, and border towns have inspectors who eradicate (or is that eraticate?) any specimens who manage to sneak across on their own. Since a huge portion of our provincial livelihood comes from grain farming, it makes sense.

Glad to hear that all is well, Mayday.

20. Mar 15, 2008 #19
    Moonbear: It is amazing how clear my head now feels! I also had all the other things checked out that were playing around in my mind. Turns out everything is fine! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?