Doctorate in Physics: Gaps & Requirements for Ex-Engineer

• Thread starter hglucky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of pursuing a doctorate in physics after completing a masters in mechanical engineering. The speaker asks if the gap in their physics background is too big to make up for and if it would require earning a new undergrad degree. They mention wanting a second chance and have contacted the physics department for information. The responder mentions that it depends on the amount of physics taken as an undergrad and that it may be possible to take graduate courses as a non-degree student to make up for any deficiencies. They also provide a link for further reading and mention that the specific area of interest may also affect the requirements for the program.
hglucky
I am new here and thought maybe someone could offer some information. I currently have a masters in mechanical engineering and thought how nice it would be to go back for a doctorate in physics. How far have I strayed from the basic requirements to enter a doctorate program, after finishing an engineer program, and is the gap too big to make up for the deficiencies? I would hope it doesn't require earning a completely new undergrad degree first.

I am not worried about using it to find work as that is completely under control. I would only be doing it for myself. I wanted the physics degree previously, but went the engineering route for the sake of job possibilities. I want that second chance now if I can get it. I have written to the physics department asking this same question, but have not heard back yet.

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends. How much physics did you take as an undergrad? Several mechanical engineers have entered our physics grad dept in the last few years, and they were scurrying to make up for missed courses. In some cases, it was a full year or more before they could even begin graduate coursework. A minimum preparation in physics would be something like the following: classical mechanics, electricity & magnetism, 2 semesters of mathematical methods, modern physics, and quantum mechanics.

If you don't meet the requirements of the program you want to attend, you can usually take graduate courses as a non-degree student for a while. If you do well in them, you can use this as leverage when you apply to the program.

hglucky said:
I am new here and thought maybe someone could offer some information. I currently have a masters in mechanical engineering and thought how nice it would be to go back for a doctorate in physics. How far have I strayed from the basic requirements to enter a doctorate program, after finishing an engineer program, and is the gap too big to make up for the deficiencies? I would hope it doesn't require earning a completely new undergrad degree first.

I am not worried about using it to find work as that is completely under control. I would only be doing it for myself. I wanted the physics degree previously, but went the engineering route for the sake of job possibilities. I want that second chance now if I can get it. I have written to the physics department asking this same question, but have not heard back yet.

You may want to start by reading this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=64966

Zz.

It also depends on what area you are interested in.
Obviously if you want to do theoretical physics you are going to need to do a lot more background courses than if you want an experimental physics Phd mainly focussed on building some apparatus.

1. What is a Doctorate in Physics?

A Doctorate in Physics is an advanced degree program that focuses on the study and research of matter and energy, and their properties and interactions. It typically takes 3-5 years to complete and involves coursework, research, and a dissertation.

2. What are the requirements for a Doctorate in Physics program?

The requirements for a Doctorate in Physics program vary, but generally include a Bachelor's or Master's degree in a related field, such as engineering, physics, or mathematics. Other requirements may include a strong academic record, letters of recommendation, and a research proposal.

3. Can an engineer pursue a Doctorate in Physics?

Yes, an engineer can pursue a Doctorate in Physics. However, they may need to take additional courses in math and physics to meet the program requirements. It is also important for them to have a strong background in research and a clear understanding of the subject matter.

4. Are there any gaps in knowledge that an ex-engineer may need to address in a Doctorate in Physics program?

There may be some gaps in knowledge for an ex-engineer pursuing a Doctorate in Physics, as they may not have as strong of a theoretical foundation in physics as someone with a Bachelor's or Master's degree in the subject. Some key areas to focus on may include quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and statistical mechanics.

5. What are the career opportunities for someone with a Doctorate in Physics?

A Doctorate in Physics can lead to various career opportunities in research, academia, and industry. Some common job titles for graduates include research scientist, professor, data analyst, and consultant. With a strong background in physics and problem-solving skills, graduates can also pursue careers in other fields such as finance, engineering, and technology.